Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise when releasing clutch in 1st/2nd

Old 08-12-2012, 04:44 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Noise when releasing clutch in 1st/2nd

Over the last few months I've come across a strange noise that occasionally pops up. About 75% through releasing the clutch, just in in gears 1 or 2 (maybe I can't hear it in anything higher), I notice what sounds almost like what you hear if wheels are rubbing during tight turns. Sort of a medium pitch rubbing of metal-on-metal though. It's not loud but you can certainly make it out in 1st or 2nd. It's hard to describe accurately but it only lasts a second from about 75% to 85% through the clutch release, and then it's completely gone. It only pops up every few drives, but seems to happen every time I release the clutch during the drive. Then it'll disappear completely for weeks before it pops up again.

Any ideas? I have CPO so will get it checked out eventually but thought I'd try to quickly diagnose it here first.

2005 997.1 Carrera 2
The following users liked this post:
dmen (06-09-2022)
Old 08-14-2012, 03:40 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it happen at a consistent RPM? is it more pronounced when the car is warm, ie been driven for a while as opposed to start up when engine is cold? also do you have the 3.6 or 3.8?
Old 08-14-2012, 04:15 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

does it alwyas happen when rolling or when engaging 1st from a stop as well?

possible that it happens during every clutch release and you just can't hear it at higher speeds?

how many miles on this clutch

Starting to sound like the clutch is worn out and you're hearing the scrape of friction plate rivets or something.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Hi 0 - 60,
It is relatively "normal" IIRC, had it in my car too and it's been covered before on various forums. Sounds a bit like a gasping cow, doesn't it?
Requires more "crisp" if you will engagement of clutch.
Shift to 1-st gear (or 2-nd for that matter), fully release clutch at low RPM's or matching RPM's for your actual speed (say <1,500 for 1-st gear), then accelerate with your left foot off the clutch and resting next to clutch pedal.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
=L=
Old 08-14-2012, 11:22 PM
zer026T
Pro

Originally Posted by niner niner seven
does it happen at a consistent RPM? is it more pronounced when the car is warm, ie been driven for a while as opposed to start up when engine is cold? also do you have the 3.6 or 3.8?
Probably more-so when it's warm, I definitely notice it pulling into the garage compared to when I start and drive off.

Originally Posted by 997_rich
does it alwyas happen when rolling or when engaging 1st from a stop as well? possible that it happens during every clutch release and you just can't hear it at higher speeds?
Only happens when shifting from neutral to 1st, or 1st to 2nd. Never noticed it any higher (could be too hard to hear), and never when down shifting.

how many miles on this clutch
Just under 25k miles, I have put about 3k on since purchasing in January.

Starting to sound like the clutch is worn out and you're hearing the scrape of friction plate rivets or something.
Is premature clutch wear covered under CPO warranty? I didn't think the clutch would need service until at least 50k miles...

Originally Posted by Luxter
Hi 0 - 60,
It is relatively "normal" IIRC, had it in my car too and it's been covered before on various forums. Sounds a bit like a gasping cow, doesn't it?
Requires more "crisp" if you will engagement of clutch.
Shift to 1-st gear (or 2-nd for that matter), fully release clutch at low RPM's or matching RPM's for your actual speed (say <1,500 for 1-st gear), then accelerate with your left foot off the clutch and resting next to clutch pedal.
Hope that helps.
Cheers,
=L=
This doesn't seem 'normal' for a car of this quality however I'll play around with my clutch engagement technique a bit... All I know is that every time I hear that noise, I cringe, and it can be downright embarrassing at times, especially at a set of lights etc.. Thanks!
Old 08-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Luxter
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by zer0260
This doesn't seem 'normal' for a car of this quality
Totally agree with you.
However.... if we are talking about the same type of noise, and it apears that we are, it can be easily reproduced even on a brand new clutch. Just don't transfer too much torque as you engage your clutch.
That's at least my experience and I recently (this spring) changed my clutch, bearings, sleeve, etc.
I never had it happen to me while shifting from 1-st to 2-nd though, so perhaps there is more to this story.
It is nearly impossible to diagnose a car over the internet, have someone qualified look at it. Best I can suggest at the moment.

=L=
Old 08-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

My car makes this noise every now and again, it's a 997.2. For me:
Car has to be warmed up
Happens when I do a "lazy" shift at higher RPM, that is a slower than "crisp" engagement
Only happens on 1-2 that I can hear

Example: Start off, rev to 5-6k, clutch, shift to 2nd, then a slower release of the clutch and slower acceleration once in 2nd (possibly using the gas to match RPM). I can get a bit of a moan from the transmission.

If I shift like I should, it doesn't happen.

Trending Topics

Old 08-15-2012, 09:44 PM
onetrickpony
Intermediate

I have this exact same issue. Here was my post and the responses.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ng-clutch.html

I found that by releasing the clutch more slowly, it sound seems to occur less frequently...
I'll be interested to see if anyone else has found a solution.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:37 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Does it happen after being exposed to humidity? The flywheel/pressure plate will have surface rust just like brake rotors.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:29 PM
zer026T
Pro

Does it happen after being exposed to humidity? The flywheel/pressure plate will have surface rust just like brake rotors.
Now that you mentioned it, it had been raining the last time I noticed. I had just been caught in a super crazy rainstorm where I sat and waited it out. I then drove for 30 min and parked for a couple of hours in nicer weather, then the rain came down again. It was during this second rain that I drove off and noticed the sound.

So from the sounds of things, nothing serious... I will check it out next visit into the dealer but doesn't sound like an emergency.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:18 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I might have had the same issue. The first time dealer looked at it, SA said the clutch is glazed and I should do hard launches. I brought it back and the technician drove the car with me and he did not think it was clutch related. They replaced the catalytic converter and the sound is gone. Not sure what the connection was and I even asked the Service Manager and he gave me an answer: the heat from the malfunctioning catalytic converter was creating the sound.

So far the sound has been eliminated.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:05 PM
Jeuspc
2nd Gear

Hi Zer026T, I wonder if you finally fixed this problem. I have exactly the same issue with my 08' Carrera S.

I took it to the dealer, they tested it, they heard the noise, but they didn't know the reason...

Thank you!
Old 01-12-2013, 07:21 PM
zer026T
Pro

No I haven't had it to the dealer yet to check it out.. Car is parked for the winter but will be getting the oil changed in the spring and will mention it.. I have continued having the problem since posting but it's not getting any worse. Just annoying!
Old 01-13-2013, 04:29 PM
Jeuspc
2nd Gear

Thank you for your answer. I'm taking mine back to the dealer. I'll let you know if they fix it this time...
Old 05-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Ben997c2s
1st Gear

Default new clutch rattle

Hi zer026T and Jenspc,

Have you guys got to the bottom of the clutch sound yet?
I just had my clutch changed out on my '04 997 C2S in preparation for exporting the car overseas (previous clutch had 55k use and was the original one) and the brand new clutch seems to be making the noise that you have described in your posts...pretty annoying really (especially given this was forward planning maint rather than essential..).
I would be very interested to know if you have resolved the issue.

Ben

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Noise when releasing clutch in 1st/2nd