Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ex Porsche Driving School Cars FS

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 12:46 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a true story. One of my colleagues and I were trying to get into our hotel parking lot, each driving separate cars, but there was a guy blocking the driveway. We were trying to get around him but couldn't. We also tried to get his attention by beeping our horns...nothing happened. So we had to back out of the drive and go a different way into the parking lot. We were like WTF is wrong with this idiot so we walked over to the car. Turned out that he was passed out drunk with his foot mashed on the accelerator. We beat on the window and the guy was not waking up. He was completely passed out drunk. We were like.....what do we do? This guy is going to blow his motor up or drive away and kill someone. The motor was litteraly bouncing off the Red Line. We thought about calling the police but instead we decided to let 100% of the air out of all four of his tires instead. He couldn't drive and he didn't get arrested.

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
I'm pretty sure I've rented some of your Hertz hand me downs... one kept shuddering at hwy speeds.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:47 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on skibum's PSDS thread, these cars won't have experienced anything more arduous than an easy Sunday drive. They're probably just fine. Well maintained cars shouldn't have any issues with basic track use. This is a good dealership with a big motor sports shop (they do the Cayman Interseries). If the car has fresh tires, brakes, fluids and you can get it CPO'ed, you should be OK.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:08 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Here is a true story. One of my colleagues and I were trying to get into our hotel parking lot, each driving separate cars, but there was a guy blocking the driveway. We were trying to get around him but couldn't. We also tried to get his attention by beeping our horns...nothing happened. So we had to back out of the drive and go a different way into the parking lot. We were like WTF is wrong with this idiot so we walked over to the car. Turned out that he was passed out drunk with his foot mashed on the accelerator. We beat on the window and the guy was not waking up. He was completely passed out drunk. We were like.....what do we do? This guy is going to blow his motor up or drive away and kill someone. The motor was litteraly bouncing off the Red Line. We thought about calling the police but instead we decided to let 100% of the air out of all four of his tires instead. He couldn't drive and he didn't get arrested.
Like this guy?

Old 07-29-2012, 09:28 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Yes except this idiot was in the middle of the drive just past the sidewalk.

That was some serious destructive testing on that motor.

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zanwar
Based on skibum's PSDS thread, these cars won't have experienced anything more arduous than an easy Sunday drive. They're probably just fine. Well maintained cars shouldn't have any issues with basic track use. This is a good dealership with a big motor sports shop (they do the Cayman Interseries). If the car has fresh tires, brakes, fluids and you can get it CPO'ed, you should be OK.
Hah!

Let's not forget these cars were used for the more advanced classes too, so who knows, they may actually have been abused. I know I would pass.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

No way. Wouldn't even consider.

This isn't just a track day car, but every mile these cars has ran has been in anger. Brakes, suspension, torsion bars, transmissions, engines, every component has been used to the extreme for 100% of it's life. It will have premature component failure as a result.

At $35-40K it would be a deal I'd look at. Otherwise, no way.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:08 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would not do it for me, since I keep my cars past warranty, and many other reasons.

But, for you Jason, at the right price, and keeping the car under warranty, and then getting out of it in a couple years, it could be a really good deal/experience. But PRICE would be a major factor.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

If you don't plan to keep the car past its warranty....who cares. Right? If you want to keep it forever and make it part of the family then you may want to reconsider.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:11 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
If you don't plan to keep the car past its warranty....who cares. Right? If you want to keep it forever and make it part of the family then you may want to reconsider.

Good point as long as you don't mind spending a lot of your time at the repair shop. Moreover, resale value will be problematical. Leasing may be a good option but I would expect that the monthly rate wouldn't be much lower than for a new car.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:23 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Walk... I like working on my cars but I would still walk. They'll discount the car as a teaser and pad their profit margins. You'll spend that savings and then some on service/repairs... not to mention the time. For wrench hand looking for a project car who can get it(negotiate) at it's real price vs. their "executive" car price... that would be a fit. Otherwise they are trying to find an unknowing customer by not being truthful upfront.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:42 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 86 Posts

Christ...they aren't made of porcelain. Wouldn't bother me in the least. From what I know of reconditioned corporate cars they take pretty good care of them.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:22 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

I'm with SharpMan,

Resale value shouldn't be an issue because the discount seems pretty high. I still stand by my thinking that if you only want to keep the car for four years or only through the warranty period then buy it if you like what you see. Repairs should be a non issue as well.

These cars are rugged.

Originally Posted by SharpMan
Christ...they aren't made of porcelain. Wouldn't bother me in the least. From what I know of reconditioned corporate cars they take pretty good care of them.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Justin N
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I test drove one of these PSDS cars recently (their were 3 left on the lot at the time, I think their were 6 at one point). I was able to drive it back to back with another 2011 S that had about 4k on the clock plus a few more options including sport chrono. The PSDS car was in overall good condition, although their were a few rattles (driver door and somewhere in the interior) and the seats felt tired. The car didn't seem to have the same "oomph" as the non PSDS car. None of the PSDS cars have sport chrono, but even compared to driving the other 2011 car without sport turned off it just seemed lacking. The dealer wouldn't CPO the car either (wanted to sell me an aftermarket warranty) so unless I was turning it into a track car it just didn't seem worth it, maybe if it was in the low 60's or something.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Lawrence_P
Racer

Even in the advanced classes the cars aren't used more than 20% of their potential. (Which itself disregards that using a car "hard" doesn't wear it out anyway.) Suspension bushings and transmissions, etc., wear just the same on the track as they do on the street. And brake pads get replaced.

I would not hesitate for a heartbeat.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:46 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By law the manufacturer has to tell you they were used in driving schools. I assume all are PDK cars so no worries re premature clutch and transmission wear.

They were probably not driven the way a responsible owner would have, so you are taking a risk but getting a lower price. You also have Porsche warranty just in case.

The only issue I see is resale value, will the next potential owner want to buy this car from you knowing its history or will you have to drop the price by a higher margin just to sell it.

Quick Reply: Ex Porsche Driving School Cars FS