Sponsored by:

Safely Jacking up a 997 using a pair of JackPoint Jackstands

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 11:38 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Great post USMC...never had seen these before. May end up picking up a set although I am not under my car enough to use them probably. Most often for me is my oil changes every 8-10k I do. Otherwise my exhaust is fully done [AWE cross pipe and cans] so can't figure out other reasons to jack the car.

Of course I can use any ones you guys provide as ammo for the spouse to justify a purchase so fire away!
Thanks mdrobc... the expense may not make "cent" for oil changes alone as that can be done without jacks of any type. Should you ever need to remove your tires, flush your brake fluid, change brakes and rotors, swap spark plugs and/or ignition coils, flush the radiator fluid, add a 3 radiator, replace a water pump or thermostat, and many other maintenance/mod projects I've left out... well, these JPJ's are a great way to do these projects safely.

BTW, post# 20 on this thread provides some of the justifications I've used with my wife(an accountant) to procure the JPJ's and other tools I've acquired over time. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-to-buy-2.html Plus I think my better half gets a kick out of seeing the reaction of neighbors and friends alike when they see my car up in the air in our garage. Most think these cars are dealer serviceable only... I may as well be working on a rocket ship in their eyes... a bit of automotive shock and awe. GL with the wifey.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:26 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

My Jackpoint jack stands just arrived and I am impressed with the quality, the weight and the size. These are not your Auto zone jack stands from China. They are well built and their wide base breeds confidence and safety. John Walton makes a great product and provides outstanding service. May even get rid of my Snap on scissors lift now.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:17 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

My b-day is coming up so I just put in an order for the 2nd pair of JP's with John. Found out that he just did a video with Jay Leno on Jay's Garage.

Great to see the entrepreneurial spirit still alive and strong in the USA and he is manufacturing it here as well. Good job John!
The following users liked this post:
dlascoskie (10-11-2023)
Old 04-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Cool. I love that they're American designed and made. I may actually get myself a set.

Too bad that whoever installed the JackPoint striping on that yellow car didn't have a straight edge.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:48 PM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Tested my new jackstands working on the BMW. They worked great.
Next stop 911

Old 04-22-2013, 08:00 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

These are on my list, but my list keeps growing.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:32 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Default JackPoint Update: all four corners and the "low down" on JP pads

As an update to my original posting... I finally procured another pair of JackPoint jackstands and put all four stands to use over the past few weeks for a DIY brake line replacement, brake and gear oil flush, and under carriage cleaning. Here are a few things I've discovered with the various jack pads available from JackPoint which may help others to decide which particular pads to order. BTW, John at JP has been very available and willing to discuss/support when called upon.

There are three types of pads available:
1. the low profile pad(middle pad in pic) which is commonly shipped to Porsche owners and will address a lowered suspension system and/or use with a non-low profile floor jack
2. the standard profile pad(right side pad in pic) which gains you an extra inch of lift as compared to the low profile pad but requires use of a low profile floor jack and stock suspension
3. the recessed pad(left pad in pic) which allows you to either add another 1" of additional height to the standard pads or in combination with the low profile pad will provide the same height as the standard pad
Name:  P1020528.JPG
Views: 7162
Size:  109.2 KBName:  P1020529.JPG
Views: 6993
Size:  106.0 KB

With the standard profile pad and my low profile floor jack I was able to lift the car without any clearance issues.
Name:  P1020527.JPG
Views: 7613
Size:  101.8 KB

The combination of standard and recess pads, however, would not fit using the low profile floor jack. I understand that others have rolled their cars onto a 2x6 board to address initial clearance when dealing with a car that has a lower suspension. This method may allow me to lift the car up enough for the standard plus recess pads combo but I've yet to test that method... plus I've been able to work w/o issue on all my current projects w/o the need for any addition height.
Name:  P1020530.JPG
Views: 6673
Size:  109.6 KB

I used the standard pads to lift the rear of the car follow by the combo of the recess and low profile pads to support the front. This provides for a securely supported and level car to work on.
Name:  P1020531.JPG
Views: 6755
Size:  102.9 KBName:  P1020533.JPG
Views: 39310
Size:  100.8 KB
Name:  P1020540.JPG
Views: 7259
Size:  107.2 KBName:  P1020542.JPG
Views: 10237
Size:  103.4 KB

Note: although one pair of JP jack stands worked with a pair of standard jacks stands it felt that much safer to have JP's on all four corners. Very solid! I had also considered getting a pair of flat top jack stands to support the front with JP's for the rear but for little more I went with the JP's all around instead. Ask John for the RL discount.

Flat Top Jack Stand, 3 Tons per Stand, 1Pr - Amazon.com Flat Top Jack Stand, 3 Tons per Stand, 1Pr - Amazon.com

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 06-01-2013 at 01:31 PM.
The following users liked this post:
_X4_ (12-03-2019)
Old 06-01-2013, 01:24 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Pic of car on two JP's - level and secure on driver side. Repeat to secure/level the passenger side as well
Name:  P1020534.JPG
Views: 6630
Size:  101.7 KB
Old 06-01-2013, 04:31 PM
MessyMarvin
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Great Information, I just received mine!!! I am stock height so I went with the Standard to get the extra inch and now I can use it my other cars as well.

Great transaction, to me you can never pay to much for safety.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:03 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

USMC-DS1 - thanks for posting this on JackPoint stands. They look great!

I've been thinking about jacking up the CS4 but my traditional jack stands look kind of feeble to hold the car safely.

Checked the web site and see that I need to buy a new jack to use these as my old 4 ton Sears floor jack that the front wheels are too wide to fit in the JackPoint stand. I think I'd go for a set of four stands.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2013, 04:27 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Checked the web site and see that I need to buy a new jack to use these as my old 4 ton Sears floor jack that the front wheels are too wide to fit in the JackPoint stand. I think I'd go for a set of four stands.
Yea I am in the same predicament. I have a nice (fairly expensive) aluminium jack that looks too wide for that base.
Old 09-15-2013, 04:37 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 218 Posts

Here are the basic jack dimensions.

Critical Dimensions - for floor jack clearance are:

Jack's saddle (round plate) – 3.5 -5 inches in diameter
Widest part of jack lifting arm - 5.5 inches
Widest part of jack's wheels, roller, or handles at the front of the jack or back 10 inches from the front of the jack - 11.6 inches.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:04 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Rob, glad you found the posting useful and I think you'll enjoy using the JackPoint stands. After owning my set for 2+ years... I can't imagine going back to standard jacks and/or ramps to work on my C2S. FWIW, I purchased a low profile (Minimum Lift Height of 2.75") steel jack from Harbor Freight during one of their holidays tent sale events. Used the savings for the JP stands back then.

I'm now looking for a nicer aluminum jack that I can move around easier and maybe even take to the track but can't seem to find anything with a <3" low profile. I wonder if that may be a physical limitation of aluminum vs. steel. Of course, a 3.25-3.5" minimum lift height may be fine for my car's standard/OEM suspension setup with the JP standard pad. I just want to avoid obsoleting my jack should I decide to lower my car at a later date. Wondering what others are using for jacks with their JP stands especially if they have alumnimun jacks. John @ JP... would be great to get your insight. TIA
Old 09-15-2013, 07:02 PM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlateC2S
I use the jackpoints only on the rear - once lifted from the rear lift points the whole side will lift due to chassis stiffness. I just pop in a standard 3 ton jack stand from Sears on the fronts lift points with a hockey puck to mitigate metal to metal damage. Save you some $$$. Love the Jackpoints for the rear though!!
Sounds like a good idea. Do you have a picture of the hockey puck, standard jack stand? Mine end with a Y shape which were great for holding the car at the torsion bar tube on older cars.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2013, 08:58 PM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 357 Likes on 218 Posts

I'm only aware of 2 aluminum jacks with minimum pick up height less than 3". The Zinko and Brunhoelzl. Both are very nice and very expensive. The Brunhoelzl is US made. I've been trying to source a modest priced aluminum jack with under 3" pick up and haven't had any luck.

Quick Reply: Safely Jacking up a 997 using a pair of JackPoint Jackstands