Sponsored by:

spark plug/coil pack replacement cost

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 04:14 PM
DDL24
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug/coil pack replacement cost

I have a CPO 997.1...got check engine light and dealer said coil packs need to be replaced and it's covered under CPO...Great.
SA also mentioned why not replace the plugs while at it and quoted about $350 for that. I am in DC metro area...is this a good price, consider it's from the dealer?
Old 07-20-2012, 04:46 PM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I think $350 is high if they are already replacing all the coil packs. I would be very suprized if they would replace them all under CPO and just not the bad one. I think $350 is around the normal price for a plug change.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:54 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

do it, it is ok. set of coils alone costs about of $300.
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...760210400.html
Old 07-20-2012, 05:24 PM
DDL24
Instructor

Thanks for the replys...I confirmed they are replacing all 6..in fact, they are having trouble to get all 6 coil packs..only 5 so far, lol. I called a different dealer and they quoted upper $500s to replace plugs alone. DC metro area is expensive....
Old 07-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Spoddle
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Plugs alone cost over $100 so $300 isn't bad. I'll be tackling this job shortly. How many miles do you have on your car?
Old 07-23-2012, 10:35 AM
DDL24
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spoddle
Plugs alone cost over $100 so $300 isn't bad. I'll be tackling this job shortly. How many miles do you have on your car?
Just a little over 40k miles but it's about 7 yrs old now...
Old 07-23-2012, 11:39 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DDL24
Thanks for the replys...I confirmed they are replacing all 6..in fact, they are having trouble to get all 6 coil packs..only 5 so far, lol. I called a different dealer and they quoted upper $500s to replace plugs alone. DC metro area is expensive....
Make sure they replace all 6 plugs. The #4 plug(rear most passenger side) is the hardest to get to and torque properly. Normally requires removal of the exhaust manifold to get in there with a torque wrench. Typical mech's would rather not remove the exhaust manifold(EM) as it can potentially introduce additional issues like a broken EM bolts if they don't take the time to soak with some type of break free oil. It's a PITA to remove a broken bolt properly. In addition, if the EM is removed they need to replace the EM gasket. If a new EM gasket is not listed on the lists of itemized parts then they likely did not remove the EM and replaced the EM gasket = #4 plug was hand tighten(torque by feel) = bad as the proper torque is require to set the spark plug inset. Now they could have removed the EM and reused the old EM gasket = risk that you'll have exhaust leak = potentially fail emission test down the road. No need to panic of course but just ask lots of questions... never assume that because it's the p-dealer that a mech won't try to cut corners. GL and I agree with others that you should pay the $350 to have them do the plugs as well. I paid $300 in parts alone for new coils and plugs plus 4 hrs of time to do this myself. Well worth having someone else do if they do it properly.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:56 AM
DDL24
Instructor

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Make sure they replace all 6 plugs. The #4 plug(rear most passenger side) is the hardest to get to and torque properly. Normally requires removal of the exhaust manifold to get in there with a torque wrench. Typical mech's would rather not remove the exhaust manifold(EM) as it can potentially introduce additional issues like a broken EM bolts if they don't take the time to soak with some type of break free oil. It's a PITA to remove a broken bolt properly. In addition, if the EM is removed they need to replace the EM gasket. If a new EM gasket is not listed on the lists of itemized parts then they likely did not remove the EM and replaced the EM gasket = #4 plug was hand tighten(torque by feel) = bad as the proper torque is require to set the spark plug inset. Now they could have removed the EM and reused the old EM gasket = risk that you'll have exhaust leak = potentially fail emission test down the road. No need to panic of course but just ask lots of questions... never assume that because it's the p-dealer that a mech won't try to cut corners. GL and I agree with others that you should pay the $350 to have them do the plugs as well. I paid $300 in parts alone for new coils and plugs plus 4 hrs of time to do this myself. Well worth having someone else do if they do it properly.
That's great insight on #4, thanks. What's the best way to make sure it's all done correctly? asking for the old parts back? 6 coils and plugs? But I guess there is simply no way of know if it's all done by the book unles something goes wrong....
Old 07-23-2012, 01:41 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

That's a good idea... ask for all the old plugs and coils. I like to keep one or two of the best looking coil and/or plugs JIC I might need a spare in the future and cannot source one. Imagine if you're uncle keep some of those original old parts from a 356. How valuable would they be today... even if it was just an old plug that could be cleaned up and reused. Look to see if they replace the exhaust manifold gasket per list of parts they used... that's a good indicator that they removed the exhaust manifold and therefore could get a torque wrench in there. Some p-dealers will also allow you to watch the mech as he works on your car.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:55 PM
DDL24
Instructor

Just a quick update...dealer finally got all the coil packs in and got everything done. It was very pricy....coil packs are covered under CPO, but they charged me $530 for replacing plugs, 350 labor+180 parts and $30 for shop chage. I live in DC metro area so that's about right.....
On the other hand, dealership service has been very nice, audi loaner cars.....pleasent experience overall. Plus, they also replaced water pump under CPO as well after I complaint about low coolant level. Didn't see any coolant drop on my garage floor but Tech stated coolant crust around water pump and they went ahead....I was planning to replace that soon on my own dime as preventive maintenance so I am very happy about that. Overall, my experience with Porsche/CPO has been very good...not cheap though.
USMC, I didn't see EM gasket on the invoice so they probably just hand tighened the #4 plug...oh well. I did ask for my old plugs back...not very pretty, a thin layer of carbon coated 70-80% of metal surface
Old 08-08-2012, 01:26 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

What's the general rule of thumb in regard to replacing plugs in terms of miles or age?
Old 08-08-2012, 03:24 PM
DDL24
Instructor

Originally Posted by CAA
What's the general rule of thumb in regard to replacing plugs in terms of miles or age?
I think it's 4yr or 60k miles...but given most are not daily drivers...60k miles come in much later. mine is made in april 2005, so it's way past 4 yrs, but only 40k miles. there are people are on both side... i was leaning on the mileage side but the coil pack needed replacement and hence.....
Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Porsche recommends spark plug replacement as part of their "major maintenance" schedule at 36,000 miles, and every 36,000 miles thereafter. Minor is every 12,000 miles. For more information about our Maintenance kits, Click Here.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:38 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Thanks guys - I appreciate the responses.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:48 PM
DDL24
Instructor

For 997, non-turbo, it's 4yr or 60k miles for plugs. Major service is 40k/80k/120k miles or 4/8/12 yrs. See attached Porsche PDF.
Attached Images

Quick Reply: spark plug/coil pack replacement cost