Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Lover of Michelin PSS's

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 02:05 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

My set from Tire Rack (larger sizes, 245 and 305) was about $1,500 as well. Hit Damon up.
Old 07-20-2012, 04:49 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by triode
My set from Tire Rack (larger sizes, 245 and 305) was about $1,500 as well. Hit Damon up.
I was planning on purchasing from Tire Rack, however, once you add shipping and the high fee a shop will charge you to mount and balance them (they'll be upset you didn't buy tires from them and charge you to death for this), the price was going to be $300-$400 more.

Additionally, the actual size of four of these huge tires is enormous. Getting them to a shop for install would take a pick-up truck which I do not own. I guess you could always have them delivered to the shop, if the shop would allow this.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

The Tire Rack has a search function that will find you shops affiliated with them for installs. I believe many of the shops list their pricing structure. They have all agreed to receive tires drop shipped from Tire Rack.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:34 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
The Tire Rack has a search function that will find you shops affiliated with them for installs. I believe many of the shops list their pricing structure. They have all agreed to receive tires drop shipped from Tire Rack.
I did not realize they had that structure in place. That seems like a much smoother transaction then.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:43 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
I actually bought the tires from a local company here in Lincoln, NE called T.O. Haas. They are a very large tire dealer/distributor in this neck of the woods.

I'm sure they ship as well if the price would justify any shipping charges, etc.
Which T. O. do you use?

I use Economy & Performance as they are a short walk from my office and had prices better than Tire Rack - not to mention that the owner owns a Porsche too.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:22 AM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mander
Which T. O. do you use?

I use Economy & Performance as they are a short walk from my office and had prices better than Tire Rack - not to mention that the owner owns a Porsche too.
Mander,

I just happened to use the T.O. just south of 27th & Pine Lake. Dennis is the manager and appears to be a decent guy to deal with.

Economy & Performance? I am not familiar with them for some reason.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:56 AM
trcox57
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put a set on my S63 and they were excellent tires. After the first 50 miles or so they were quiet and handled very nicely for such a heavy car.
My RE50's are getting pretty noisy on my 2006 and plan to put on a set of PSS's soon.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:46 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

So far, unless I missed it, Porsche has not yet issued an N version of the Michelin PSS.
  • Why not?
  • Is there any hint about when they will be certified?
  • What are the consequences of having non-certified tires?

Based on the comments here, it seems clear that the PSSes are at least as good as any of the N-certified tires but I am still concerned that Porsche may disapprove and what the consequences of that disapproval may be.
Old 07-22-2012, 04:57 PM
FI Flyer
Racer

I just went to the Tire Rack web site and checked the price for the Michelin PSS tires for my C4S. I did not check for installation charges. The price was very impressive

Set of 4: $1,346.00
After mail-in rebate: $1,276.00

Shipping Charges to Long Island: About $66.

Now I have never had much faith in mail-in rebates which always require at least on thing that is difficult or impossible to obtain or some other impediment to easy fulfillment but, even without the rebate, the price looks very reasonable for top flight tires.

I was also interested to find that the price for the PSS tires was about $400 less than the PS2s which were listed as OEM (although I did not see an N number for them.)
Old 07-22-2012, 05:59 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

To sell a car as CPO the p-dealers must use N rated tires. So N rated tires may be relevant if you plan on trading in your car for maximum trade in value. The p-dealer would have to consider/factor in the cost of tire replacement if they want to turn around and sell your car as CPO... this may affect your trade in value.

I'm planning on swapping my "N" rated PZero Rosso out to PSS when my original tires are toast. I don't have plans to trade in my car anytime soon.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 07-22-2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:41 PM
mander
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Mander,

I just happened to use the T.O. just south of 27th & Pine Lake. Dennis is the manager and appears to be a decent guy to deal with.

Economy & Performance? I am not familiar with them for some reason.
Thats the TO I have had good luck with too. E&P is at 16th and O. Kevin is the owner and is great.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:44 PM
perryinva
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Any Michelin tire can be ordered (and installed if wished, but not required, but would then include N2 fill and Road Hazard) from Costco, and the "rebate" is instantly applied when ordered. When I bought N3 PS2s a month ago, they were $360 less than Tire Rack, installed, no shipping fee, took 2 days to arrive. So even if you factor in the $55 Costco club cost, you come out way ahead even if you never use them again. I've bought 3 sets of Michelins for 3 different vehicles in less than a year, so it was a serious no brainer. Came out about $550 less expensive overall. No one could touch their prices.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:13 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I was planning on purchasing from Tire Rack, however, once you add shipping and the high fee a shop will charge you to mount and balance them (they'll be upset you didn't buy tires from them and charge you to death for this), the price was going to be $300-$400 more.

Additionally, the actual size of four of these huge tires is enormous. Getting them to a shop for install would take a pick-up truck which I do not own. I guess you could always have them delivered to the shop, if the shop would allow this.
Not necessarily. I have my tires shipped to my tire shop. They hold them until I'm ready to install them. They charged me $108 two weeks ago to install and balance all 4 PSS tires on my Centerlock wheels. Granted, I have a long relationship with the shop.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by perryinva
Any Michelin tire can be ordered (and installed if wished, but not required, but would then include N2 fill and Road Hazard) from Costco, and the "rebate" is instantly applied when ordered. When I bought N3 PS2s a month ago, they were $360 less than Tire Rack, installed, no shipping fee, took 2 days to arrive. So even if you factor in the $55 Costco club cost, you come out way ahead even if you never use them again. I've bought 3 sets of Michelins for 3 different vehicles in less than a year, so it was a serious no brainer. Came out about $550 less expensive overall. No one could touch their prices.
Costco's Michelin pricing is extremely competitive but I've never bought from them due to concerns about their experience mounting tires on the expensive wheels we all have. Did you have Costco mount the three sets you purchased?
Thank you.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think buying from a reputable tire installer like Discount or Tirerack is a good idea. Costco and Sam's seems like a bad idea to me as well.

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
Costco's Michelin pricing is extremely competitive but I've never bought from them due to concerns about their experience mounting tires on the expensive wheels we all have. Did you have Costco mount the three sets you purchased?
Thank you.

Quick Reply: Another Lover of Michelin PSS's