Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove the rear seats from a 997/Install car seats

Old 07-14-2012, 04:50 PM
eroy2
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to remove the rear seats from a 997/Install car seats

and keep the wife happy by installing 2 car seats.

Can't post in the DIY section so here it is.

Tools needed:
T40 torx bit in GOOD condition. (important or it won't seat properly)
4mm Allen key
Flat screwdriver or trip tool.
Patience.

Position the seats up!
See PET page 415

Step 1 - using screwdriver or trim tool, remove the caps on both outer walls. item 11.

Step 2 - using the T40 torx bit, remove the bolt all the way out. unseat the metal tab from the holding bracket (#8 from # 10) slightly to allow it to come free.

Step 3 - remove the cap holding the center section. using the 4mm allen key remove the screw.

Step 4 - remove the rear seat backrest

Headache #1 done.

To install the car seats is the next headache.

I used the Sharkwerks instructions for replacing an ECU
http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/techni...2-and-gt3.html

tools required:

6mm hex socket or Allen key
T30 Torx screwdriver
exacto or utility knife

Follow the instructions above until you get to the 15th photo(PET page 491). The one that shows the speaker module separated from the rear.

In this photo, you will note the 2 tabs that are partially serated. The serrations need to be fully cut to separate the front and sides. DO NOT CUT THE BACK. This tab lifts to reveal the rear LATCH point.

Installation of the carseats should be relatively straight forward although if you're fat like me there will undoubtedly be quite a bit of cursing and grunting.

I installed a Britax Boulevard 65 on the drivers side since its for my youngest and the seat is shorter. On the passenger side is a Britax Marathon. Both fit snugly and I'm satisfied.

Old 07-15-2012, 10:05 AM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

Nice job.
I'm trying to get car seats installed in mine. I've also removed the rear seat backs have just have the speaker back there. The problem I run into is while the seat belt is taught and car seat secure, the base of the seat doesn't pull back and retains a lot of movement. With all the seats I've tried, the seat belt is just too far forward to hold the seat tight.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:46 PM
eroy2
Intermediate

what car seats are you using?
Old 07-16-2012, 05:53 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 971 Likes on 633 Posts

money, the key to that is to use the rear facing holes and not the forward facing holes. with my britax, the forward facing holes (towards the back) allowed the base of the seat to move around a lot. using the rear facing holes (forward on the seat) allow you to cinch the seat rearing by being able to pull it rearward. my seat is as secure now in my 997 as it was in any other car. i wrote a write up on some thread, but forget where it is. i use a britax roundabout. hope that helps you - it certainly helped me.

Originally Posted by Money Pit 951
Nice job.
I'm trying to get car seats installed in mine. I've also removed the rear seat backs have just have the speaker back there. The problem I run into is while the seat belt is taught and car seat secure, the base of the seat doesn't pull back and retains a lot of movement. With all the seats I've tried, the seat belt is just too far forward to hold the seat tight.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:06 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

Nice job.
Same for me.

Originally Posted by rsabeebe
money, the key to that is to use the rear facing holes and not the forward facing holes. with my britax, the forward facing holes (towards the back) allowed the base of the seat to move around a lot. using the rear facing holes (forward on the seat) allow you to cinch the seat rearing by being able to pull it rearward. my seat is as secure now in my 997 as it was in any other car. i wrote a write up on some thread, but forget where it is. i use a britax roundabout. hope that helps you - it certainly helped me.
Fuc$%ing! Hell you're a genius. I'm going to check this out tomorrow!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:40 AM
eroy2
Intermediate

That's pretty much what I did. Thanks for pointing that out rsabeebe.

I wrote the post because I hadn't been able to find a definitive explanation on the rear seat removal nor the latch point. Plus I'm in Canada an we don't get the same car seats as the US does and I wanted to let people know which ones fit.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

Thanks guys - I haven't felt safe with the seats back there, so this helps a lot. Will try the different point on the seat for better angle.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i think this was the first thing i did to my car yrs ago (in order to fit a seat better and to save weight on the track) but i stripped one of the torx bolts that supports the top of the passenger side backrest. it doesnt really bother me much anymore since i have the roll bar back there, but i STILL havent gotten that damn thing out!

anyone have a simpler solution than drilling and/or welding a nut onto the top?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:47 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 971 Likes on 633 Posts

unfortunately, i sat down after i installed my car seat and wrote a lengthy post about everything - how to remove the rear seat uppers out easy, getting to the tether latch, securing the base, etc. - and before i could post it, the entire post deleted when i hit a wrong key somehow. i was so irritated and just didn't have it in me to write it again. i did spend much time getting my seat in as securely as possible and i'm sure i can help anyone who is having difficulty. just ask what i did in a certain situation and i will answer that directly. can also supply pics. the final install in my car is working perfectly. let me know if i can help anyone.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:57 PM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

I'm planning to stop by baby R us tonight for another fit of the Britax. But does anyone have a concern that in an impact (when these seats are really needed) using the rear racing holes/mount points on the seat forward facing will be loading the seats 180deg opposite how Britax intended it?
I downloaded the directions and it's clearly not the way Britax intends an installation. Just don't want to see anyone's kids hurt because of a incorrectly installed seat.

My thought now is to get a set of these http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9003.php and click the latch system into. The attachment points should be far enough back to hold the seat down. Anyone else try this?
Old 07-17-2012, 09:52 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm planning to stop by baby R us tonight for another fit of the Britax. But does anyone have a concern that in an impact (when these seats are really needed) using the rear racing holes/mount points on the seat forward facing will be loading the seats 180deg opposite how Britax intended it?
I downloaded the directions and it's clearly not the way Britax intends an installation. Just don't want to see anyone's kids hurt because of a incorrectly installed seat.

My thought now is to get a set of these http://www.bkauto.com/porsche/r9003.php and click the latch system into. The attachment points should be far enough back to hold the seat down. Anyone else try this?
LATCH anchors are typically round in cross section. Will LATCH attach to these?
Old 07-18-2012, 12:47 AM
Money Pit 951
Instructor

Originally Posted by SharpMan
LATCH anchors are typically round in cross section. Will LATCH attach to these?
Not sure, but it seems others on the forum have used it for car seats. I'm planning to order a set and try. Will keep everyone posted
Old 07-18-2012, 02:20 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Did your little one have neurosurgery recently?
Old 07-18-2012, 09:44 AM
eroy2
Intermediate

Nope its called a head band for reshaping skulls. He had a tightening of the neck muscles so slept only on one side which shaped his skull a little flat. This thing works like a hot damn and thankfully has protected him from additional scrapes and knocks by having it on during lots of tumbles. He wears it 23 hours/day (except for bath time). Should have it off in the next 2-3 weeks or so.

Its funny how many people around here have known or had kids who have these or the older generations (which were weird colored foam) and tell you about it and how many people (usually older ladies in the mall) asking what's wrong with your kid.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:29 AM
sokoloff
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the process of researching whether I can buy a 997 (need to get two car seats in it for a 1.5 and 3.5 year old). This thread is great, but I have to ask: is the Cabriolet the same, or does this only work in the coupes?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to remove the rear seats from a 997/Install car seats