Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good smog check place in south bay (San Jose / Santa Clara)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good smog check place in south bay (San Jose / Santa Clara)?

I've got to do a smog check to renew tags on my 2006 C4. I take my other car anywhere that's convenient to have it done, but for the P-car, I want to take it someplace I know is reputable, won't let hoses bump into it, etc.

Anybody know a GOOD place to take it in the San Jose, Santa Clara area?

Since it's a C4 and AWD, I have to make sure and tell them that so they don't try and put it on one of those dyno-type things, right?

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2012, 04:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by csorrows
I've got to do a smog check to renew tags on my 2006 C4. I take my other car anywhere that's convenient to have it done, but for the P-car, I want to take it someplace I know is reputable, won't let hoses bump into it, etc.

Anybody know a GOOD place to take it in the San Jose, Santa Clara area?

Since it's a C4 and AWD, I have to make sure and tell them that so they don't try and put it on one of those dyno-type things, right?

Thanks!
No specific recommendation but for my 996 Turbo (and my 02 Boxster) I just pick out a handy place that's not busy so I can drive right in and get the car smogged.

Since dealers are prohibited from testing cars when testing only station is specified on the registration form you can ask your local dealer's service manager if it has a place it sends other owners to for smog tests.

The tech will open the engine cover lid of the Turbo or the rear trunk lid of the Boxster to check the cars have the proper stickers.

The gas cap gets checked for leaks.

Both cars get the sniffer up an exhaust outlet.

The Turbo (AWD) never goes on the rollers. The Boxster does, though.

Be sure the car is fully up to operating temperature. While i'm in the office arranging to have the car smogged I let the engine idle.

Do not turn on the A/C! The fans run all the time and this lowers the temp of the engine some.

The idea is the engine wants to be fully up to temp and 'hot', and the converters want to be hot. My Boxster has a weak converter so this is important to keep it hot and get the car to pass.

While your car is probably ok you want to give it all the help you can to pass smog without any problems.

If you are not already using a top tier gasoline, a gas tank or two before the check run a top tier gasoline. I like Shell 91 octane because there's a busy station nearby with very competitive prices. But Chevron is good too.

I have observed at least with my Boxster indications gasoline sold at discount gas stations does not agree with my Boxster's engine and particularly with its weak converter.

Be sure you get a print out of the car's test sheet and results. You should get this without asking but I always like to be sure to get one for my records and to have just in case the electronic report gets lost in the ether, err cloud.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-11-2012, 05:38 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd recommend Mr. Shing at Allcar in Campbell. He does all my smog certs. He also does smog work for most of the other repair shops in the area.

http://campbell.patch.com/listings/all-car-llc

940 Dell Ave. Campbell, CA 95008

His place is nothing fancy, kind of a hole in the wall, but he will get the job done with no drama.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:17 AM
angelcamron750
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recommend you to take your vehicle to certified smog shop like Smog Hut in San Jose and Santa Clara area who will ensure you to do their work with fast accuracy and efficiently.

Quick Reply: Good smog check place in south bay (San Jose / Santa Clara)?