Sponsored by:

What is this whistling sound?

Old 07-29-2014, 05:59 PM
Ronzai
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All,
New member here.

I just wanted to add that on my 09 Boxster S I have the same noise as the OP. Just got a call from the dealership that it is the water pump being replaced. Pump coming from Germany and will take about a week to get to Western Canada. Thank god for CPO Warranty as I have only had the car a few months.

ROn
Old 07-30-2014, 01:56 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

Good thread revival. Learned a lot during the read.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:17 AM
winthorp
Intermediate

Reviving an old thread...

I did a solid amount of spirited driving today (blue skies and highs in the 70s in the Pacific Northwest). When I pulled back into the garage after letting the car cool down for a little bit I noticed a new, whistling sound. Took the car out again in the evening -- same noise when letting the car idle in the garage after coming back.

So I searched rennlist and came up with this thread. It's exactly the same sound I got. Mine is a 2012 4 GTS that I got just 3 months ago with 9,300 miles. I added another 2,500 miles since I got the car. The previous owner from what I have been told was a rather gentle driver (and the car was in mint condition inside and out).

Based on this old thread it seems to be the water pump that is the culprit. I thought the water pump issues would have been sorted out by 2012, but it seems that this is not the case. Maybe it's one of these items that needs to be replaced every 5-6 years...

Tomorrow I will stop by the local Porsche dealership to get an appointment to have it checked out/ taken care off. Fortunately, the car is covered by CPO.
Old 09-05-2021, 12:34 PM
Porsche981S
1st Gear

I had the same thing, found the T50 bolt on the left side by the alternator was loose, tightened it up and sound was gone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is this whistling sound?