Sponsored by:

Britax Roundabout child seat in 997

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 12:17 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 972 Likes on 634 Posts
Default Britax Roundabout child seat in 997

I know this topic has been covered a bit, but I wrote up a long description of the entire process, specifically for the Roundabout, and somehow it never posted. Unfortunately, I went into great detail and lost the whole post. If anyone wants any info on getting a seat into the 997 - from seat removal (removing center mount is key to getting seat backs out easily), to Bose box sliding forward to access tether carpet cuts (2 screws behind trim rings of each Bose piece, on bottom - 1 each side. Removing the pass. seat back latch pin allows Bose to slide far enough forward to gain access to carpet in back.), to getting the Britax to cinch tight at the bottom and not slide forward (stom_M3 gave this bit of info and I didn't find it anywhere else - the key is to use the rear facing holes [towards the front of the seat] and not the forward facing holes in the back. Using the forward holes allows the seat to be pulled back towards the rear and not allow it to slide forward.) and finally making sure you pull the belt out all the way so the belt ratchets back in child safety mode (small clicks). I tried many different things before getting it exactly right and now my seat is as secure as it has ever been in any other cars, even using the latch system. If I can help anyone, just let me know. It's critical that these child seats are solidly mounted, so I want to assist anyone who needs it to get it properly mounted. Thanks again to stom_M3 for suggesting the forward holes on the seat to get a solid mount.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:53 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

My daughter in the Britax Roundabout. Loved Chickenfoot on the way to school this morning also.

Last edited by rsabeebe; 03-01-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 AM
briggy
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I wondered if you could tell me how old your daughter is and what weight she is? My daughter has just turned 4. I'm considering buying a 997 and need to be sure that she can fit in the back. Also, do you have any other pictures which show how much legroom the front passenger has when your daughter is in her seat?

Many thanks,
Bryan
Old 11-09-2012, 12:38 PM
Rhody
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Although this wasn't my original post, on a daily basis i put my 6 year old in a booster and my 3 year old in a 5-point harness seat (like the one pictured above). On a daily basis there's plenty of leg room for the 3 year old because i put the passenger seat forward. However, when my wife is in that seat and the seat goes back, the 3 year old doesn't complain, but i usually take her shoes off to reduce any scuffing. The 6 year old that seat behind my drivers seat is happy as can be. Her legs and feet hang down enough, so plenty of leg room.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I've spent a ton of team researching this topic before the purchase too, but i couldn't be happier with the result. Getting the 5-point hardness child seat in there securely was kind of tricky, but it's more solid than any of the many other child seats i've installed in various cars.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 38 pound four year old who has ridden in the back (Britax Marathon) since I got my 997 two years ago. My wife is 5'9" and there is still an adequate amount of leg room. I also have the Porsche Junior Plus booster which does give a significantly more amount of leg room. He prefers the Britax though since he can more easily buckle the five point harness by himself and he sits a bit higher than in the booster.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:55 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

my daughter, seen above, is 25 months and 32 pounds. as others have said, i can adjust the seat for her when mom isn't in the car and she is totally comfortable. if the 3 of us go out, we normally take my wife's car. when they're ready to move to a booster, they gain even more room overall. it's a comfortable fit, but it's certainly not as easy as a 4dr sedan to get them in and out. the price we pay...
Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Thanks for the info... My daughter is only 9 mos, but I might lean on you when it comes time to get her in a child's seat. It's a challenge finding good solutions for 911s.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi rsabeebe,
I just picked up my Britax Roundabout 55 this weekend and tried to get it in today without much luck. I would really appreciate the write-up you did on this. My car is a 997 C2. I'm new to the forum, haven't had a chance to get any pics of my car yet. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:46 PM
Rhody
Advanced

I'm traveling and not with my car for a few days, but i can take some pics when i return too. Although i don't have a Britax, i have a typical 5-point harness child seat. I also did a bunch of research on this, and subsequent trial and error too. It helps that i'm a mechanical engineer and i created a similar solution in a much older 911 too.

I ended up removing the seat belt anchors on the sides of the seat base, and replacing with eye hooks that are supposed to used for a racing harness (same thread) and removing the rear seat back and seat bottom. All of that was pretty simple. Then i used two of the typical straps supplied with the car seat, one in the pass through hole for forward facing, and the other in the pass through hole for rear facing. I'm sure i'll get some negative comments about this, but although i cut the carpet on the rear deck, i didn't end up using that anchor strap. This seat is significantly more secure than another other car seat that i've installed in any other car. Not sure if this makes sense without pics, but i'll post those later.

Good luck.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 PM
acao
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Britax Boulevard fits too, facing forward.

Last edited by acao; 11-26-2012 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Misidentified the model.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 PM
Redline911
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rhody
I'm traveling and not with my car for a few days, but i can take some pics when i return too. Although i don't have a Britax, i have a typical 5-point harness child seat. I also did a bunch of research on this, and subsequent trial and error too. It helps that i'm a mechanical engineer and i created a similar solution in a much older 911 too.

I ended up removing the seat belt anchors on the sides of the seat base, and replacing with eye hooks that are supposed to used for a racing harness (same thread) and removing the rear seat back and seat bottom. All of that was pretty simple. Then i used two of the typical straps supplied with the car seat, one in the pass through hole for forward facing, and the other in the pass through hole for rear facing. I'm sure i'll get some negative comments about this, but although i cut the carpet on the rear deck, i didn't end up using that anchor strap. This seat is significantly more secure than another other car seat that i've installed in any other car. Not sure if this makes sense without pics, but i'll post those later.

Good luck.
Thanks Rhody,
Do you think if I remove the seat back and bottom, then replace the seat belt anchors with an eye loop anchor that I can then use the latch system that came with the seat? Seems like I could click the latches into the new anchors and tighten, same as any other car anchors except they would be to the rear side of the seat and not directly behind the seat. Is this what you did essentially? Do you remove the bottom of the Britax seat?
Thanks
Old 11-27-2012, 12:01 PM
Rhody
Advanced

Yes, that's exactly what i did... using the 'latch' strap that comes with the seat... i used two of them, and did not use the strap for the top of the seat. I'm not using the Britax seat, and mine doesn't have a removeable bottom. I have the receipt for the anchors at home, so i'll get you the specs of that too, just a few bucks but you'll want to ensure you get the correct ones.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:08 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Redline911
Hi rsabeebe,
I just picked up my Britax Roundabout 55 this weekend and tried to get it in today without much luck. I would really appreciate the write-up you did on this. My car is a 997 C2. I'm new to the forum, haven't had a chance to get any pics of my car yet. Thanks in advance.
I haven't reread my initial post in this thread, but I should be able to help you to get it to fit. Mine now fits extremely secure, but you do have to do certain things to make it work the best. Initially, let me know where you are having trouble and we'll go from there. You need to remove the seat backs, the lower cushions and the base to the Britax. I boosted the seat height just a bit by the use of a towel, as I didn't want the car seat digging into the original lower cushions the whole time. The seat actually fits better a bit higher than all the way in the well because of the angle of the car seat. The other key issue to pull the seat back and down is to use the forward holes in the seat (usually used for rear facing) and run that to the belt latch. I tried many versions with the latch - removing and rotating, etc. - but could not get it secure enough. Using the front holes (with seat forward facing) cinches the seat down and back to secure the base. The top tether going to the rear mount finishes the install and locks the seat in extremely well. Forward your questions to me or post here and I will try to help with whatever issues you are actually having. It will work and be very secure.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:10 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

you can actually see the blue towel in the pic above and how the belt is angled back towards the latch because it is coming from the forward holes and not the rear holes. if you use the rear holes, there isn't enough angle and the base of the seat will never become tight/secure enough.
Old 11-28-2012, 01:17 PM
Rhody
Advanced

Here's a picture looking at the left side of the child seat (inside, next to the hump). Like i mentioned, i used two of the 'latch' straps connected to that threaded shackle (not sure of the proper name of it) which is connected to the eye bolt ($2 a piece from HMS Motorsports in Danvers, MA, Item # sr SG23, Description:Schroth Eye Bolt 22mm).

Like rsabeebe said, let me know if you have any questions. I was in your situation just a few short months ago, and i did a ton of similar research.

Beside the water pump that just gave out on me on the way to work this morning (completely bummer, but should be covered by CPO Warranty), the car has been a great daily driver with the kids.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Britax Roundabout child seat in 997