Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Suddenly can't shift, what happened?? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/701740-suddenly-cant-shift-what-happened.html)

McCulla 06-14-2012 06:57 AM

Suddenly can't shift, what happened??

I was coasting to a stop this morning, depressed the clutch pedal, and tried to shift out of 5th gear. The shifter is "loosely stuck" over to the right side of it's travel and won't shift . It just flops around like the cable broke, but interestingly I can't pull it over to the left...Any ideas before I have it towed? By the way, the clutch is operational, I just can't get out of 5th gear. Thanks!

gota911 06-14-2012 07:56 AM

Either a broken cable or one of the cable ends came off the bottom of the shift lever.

ecostellodo 06-14-2012 07:57 AM

Sounds like you have diagnosed the problem.

A broken shift cable. I was in 3rd gear when mine broke. Mine wouldn't shift out of gear either.

Spiffyjiff 06-14-2012 10:18 AM

yep, you broke the "front and back" cable (i.e. the one that attaches to the tranny lever which moves forward and aft and actually puts it in a gear. as opposed to the one that attaches to the tranny lever that moves side to side when moving thru all gears, etc). you cant get it out of 5th because, if you think about a fulcrum, when pulling back on the lever, the cable will be moving forward toward driver, pulling that tranny lever, but since it's broken...well, there ya go.

not to bad of a DIY with $250 cable set from porsche + alignment tool from suncoast. i did it in about 2hrs. FYI if you go to an indy, they prob charge you an add'l 300-500 in labor.

McCulla 06-14-2012 10:32 AM

Thanks for the quick replies everyone!! It is being flat bedded around noon. The sad part of the story (so far, crossed fingers) is that my trusted tech has retired from the shop I go to.

Palmbeacher 06-14-2012 05:51 PM

Same thing happened to me, except I was in low. Flat bedded to dealer, they fixed the broken cable. $500 job, my extended warranty paid for all but $50.

nicoff 06-14-2012 05:58 PM

Broken cable. Happened to me too. not a big deal but will cost you $$$

McCulla 06-14-2012 06:09 PM

Just got a call from the shop, telling me they have to go into the center console, inside the car... before they know exactly what's up. More news tomorrow. Is the console the access point for the cable?

jgoga 06-14-2012 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by McCulla (Post 9610968)
Just got a call from the shop, telling me they have to go into the center console, inside the car... before they know exactly what's up. More news tomorrow. Is the console the access point for the cable?

Yes sir.

John

holden997 06-15-2012 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by jgoga (Post 9611568)
Yes sir.

John

It is a lot easier from the transmission side. Most broken cables occur at this end. Only takes a few minutes to spot the broken cable once it is on a lift.

Holden

McCulla 06-15-2012 07:33 AM

Thanks! As I mentioned, the main Porsche tech at my shop has retired, so I'm happy to have any info I can get to sort of follow the process armed with some
information.

Spiffyjiff 06-15-2012 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by holden997 (Post 9611857)
It is a lot easier from the transmission side. Most broken cables occur at this end. Only takes a few minutes to spot the broken cable once it is on a lift.

Holden

not only that, but it could be (altho rarer and unfortunately not in keeping with "murphy's law") that one of the cable ends came off the tranny lever. it's only held on there by a plastic ball/cup type connection that is attached to the cable itself. so of COURSE theyre going to go into the console first which requires more time = more $, rather than simply removing one of the under panels first just to make sure it's broken. typical.

6speedken 06-28-2012 03:57 PM

it happen to me yesterday too , I was on 1st gear and KAPUT . CPO should cover that ? or am I wrong ?

duke92 08-07-2012 08:42 PM

Just happened to me... Stuck in 1st. Hey 6spedken, did CPO cover it?

Macster 08-07-2012 09:40 PM

The ball/cup connector/fastener on the shifter failed in my 03 Turbo and the shifter had to be replaced.

The car's CPO warrant covered the tow and the repair.

Sincerely,

Macster.