Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   New windshield - dealer or Formula Motorsports ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/698680-new-windshield-dealer-or-formula-motorsports.html)

psychlox 05-26-2012 01:52 PM

New windshield - dealer or Formula Motorsports ?

Hi
Small chip in windshield has become 4 inch crack (damn!) - will not pass next track inspection. Anyone have an opinion as to whether I should go to my dealer or can Formula Motorsports (NYC) take care of it ? I'm also assuming Geico will cover either....

Thanks

goldduster 05-26-2012 02:05 PM

Just be sure you get Porsche OEM glass!

DMoore 05-26-2012 04:27 PM

I had a nightmare windshield issue with my GTS this past fall.

Lessons learned:

OEM glass only! It didn't even occur to me that cheap replacement glass exists, but it does and it's wholly inadequate.

Have it installed by someone with experience at installing PORSCHE windshields! I went through a total of 3 replacement windshields before it was done right. The initial job (not by a dealer) left the glass installed wrong - a noticeable wind leak, and the edge of the glass was left exposed. When a rock hit the exposed edge, the windshield was history. The installer said "They're all like that" but the dealer said FAIL.

For future reference, I will ONLY take it to my dealer for replacement, and ONLY with OEM glass. Since I did that, I've had no more problems.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S

gla 05-27-2012 03:03 PM

I had the windshield replaced on my 07 S this spring. Small rock chip turned into a crack that just kept growing. I contacted State Farm Ins. and they ended up paying for Porsche glass rather than aftermarket. I checked the prices and aftermarket was only about $50 cheaper anyway. Both were about a thousand dollars. The dealership will order the glass by the vin so they are sure to get exactly the same tint and other features. My dealership farms the work out to a regular glass shop. I live about eighty miles from the dealership so I had them send the galss to a local shop where I live. I contacted a couple shops and interviewed them. Two of the shops told me that there are a lot of windshields improperly installed because of inexperience. Find someone who works on high end cars and has done so for a number of years. Mine ended up perfect and I was only out my one hundred dollar deductible. The guy who did mine said the newer Porsche cars are no more difficult than any other new car. He said some of the older ones were quite a challenge.

mjsporsche 05-28-2012 09:20 AM

Mark at Formula Motorsport is a great guy. But he and dealerships will sub it out to a glass professional. Convenience would drive my decision as we have tons of options in the NY Metro area. Just call Mark and Service directors at the dealerships you like and ask them who they use. Some might come to your driveway or place of business.

onedae 05-28-2012 07:21 PM

same advice as others - OEM glass at the dealer by an installer with extensive experience doing Porsche windshields. I had a chipped windshield replaced at the dealer but the installer was bad. I had wind noise and the glass was obviously not in right. Took 3 times to get it right and, on the last attempt, I insisted that the dealer use an installer that I had vetted. The dealer was stand-up and stood behind everything but I still had to step in to make sure it was done right. These windshields are easy to install improperly if you don't know what you are doing. So moral of the story is make sure you sweat the details if you want it done right.

psychlox 05-28-2012 07:33 PM

Anyone in particular in the Metro NYC area you recommend ? I need to take it to Mark for a track inspection for a 6/22 track day anyway so I figured 2 birds with one stone....

RennlistTomE 05-29-2012 11:02 AM

Have written this before: There is no way I would let anybody, no matter their experience, do this without supervising the whole thing. No way.
All glass edges must be wiped completely clean with acetone or a similar VOC immediately before the install. The tech must use clean cloth gloves only (the oil from your skin or from leather can cause the adhesive to fail).
Extracting the old glass isn't simple either. I watched one guy use a screwdriver to rip out old sealant, gouging the daylights out of the paint in the process. Nice work there.
They should use ONLY newly-prepared sealant. Etc etc etc.
Do a little research on line about proper techniques.
Good luck with it all.

porchfly80 06-02-2012 09:09 AM

If you cannot trust your independent repair center to install you windshield correctly without doubt you cannot trust them to install brakes.

Anyone reading this must keep in mind. If you call you insurance they want the cheapest repair possible. I.E. repair by satellite- NOT a replacement. Personally if I'm paying a premium insurance rate I want premium service (a new 1000 dollar windshield) and seal. And without a doubt only an experienced installer can accomplish this. I know we have been using the same personal since 1971. Especially on the pre 95 cars this is very important.

Michael Tashjian
Formula Motorsports

Fahrer 06-02-2012 10:43 AM

I have had a windshield replaced on our MB E320 in my own garage. I actually helped the guy position the glass onto the opening at one point. There is no rocket science here but what you neeed is someone who is competent and respectful of your car ( and experience wth your model). At home you can stand there and supervise.

I would only have it done in my garage.

rcg412 06-02-2012 12:55 PM

Dealer. An independent would recommend a sub as well. But I would Go with the dealers subcontractor