Sponsored by:

Solution for peeling fan/temp switches!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 10:40 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I complained enough to Clima-Repair about the switches I received that they said they agreed my initial batch did not look good and although they wouldn't refund my purchase and allow me to return them, they did send me a 2nd shipment of 2 pairs from the "production" batch instead of the "pre-production" batch. Are they better - yes, probably; are they great where I'm happy - no, not really. The ones in my car are probably not bad enough where I'll replace them yet, but in my wife's car where the black is completely worn off the point of each switch a couple mm in each direction, I'll probably put a pair into her car and see how it goes, then may play around with refinishing her old buttons. We have a Silhouette vinyl cutting machine and I may be able to cut letters fine enough to use as a mask over the area of the switch where I want the white to show through for the words. We'll see.

Here are pictures of all 8 switches I have before sending back the bad 4 taken with a couple different lighting settings. On the first shipment I received, the letters are crooked and look more like white paint vs the recent shipment where the translucent switch material shows through the black coating. Newer ones are the 4 in the middle of the pics and you can tell they're more uniform in size and the coating was applied more evenly (just look at the pictures of the backs).

Im sorry. Which ones are the "good ones'? All look like the same crap to me. I have never heard of a manufacturer shipping "preproduction" product.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:43 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Im sorry. Which ones are the "good ones'? All look like the same crap to me. I have never heard of a manufacturer shipping "preproduction" product.
Yup, I agree - none are very good and even at $20/set I'd still be disappointed with what I received.

Has anyone tried to contest their PayPal payment with any success?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

It's amazing how poorly these items turned out. You'd think with the advent of 3D printing they'd be absolutely perfect, but there's even variation between sets! Nuts.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:24 PM
911PCarFun
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah and they also don't fit well in the face unit
Old 04-19-2017, 10:40 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Do the labels illuminate?
Old 04-19-2017, 10:52 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Gawd those are horrible
Old 04-20-2017, 10:37 AM
911PCarFun
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajayabb
I wouldn't know, just fitting them in the face was a nightmare. They don't freely move like they should and as we all know they look like crap as well. There was no way I was going to put them all the way back in,

I simply refinished my OEM switches in all black. I lost my temp and fan logos but they look smooth and fit perfectly.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:40 PM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Yup, I agree - none are very good and even at $20/set I'd still be disappointed with what I received.

Has anyone tried to contest their PayPal payment with any success?
Yep Pete, Paypal refunded me with no problems what so ever.
The funny thing is that clima repair was p*ssed that I didn't ask them nicely to return their product

Last edited by Ni_Mo; 04-20-2017 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:58 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Q

Wow , those look like Gumby and Pokey made them out of clay after coming home from a long night of drinking........looks good enough for me Pokey!
Old 04-20-2017, 02:22 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

there is going to be a drinking game based on the quality of these switches soon.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:02 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

I complained enough to Clima-Repair about the switches I received that they said they agreed my initial batch did not look good and although they wouldn't refund my purchase and allow me to return them, they did send me a 2nd shipment of 2 pairs from the "production" batch instead of the "pre-production" batch. Are they better - yes, probably; are they great where I'm happy - no, not really. The ones in my car are probably not bad enough where I'll replace them yet, but in my wife's car where the black is completely worn off the point of each switch a couple mm in each direction, I'll probably put a pair into her car and see how it goes, then may play around with refinishing her old buttons. We have a Silhouette vinyl cutting machine and I may be able to cut letters fine enough to use as a mask over the area of the switch where I want the white to show through for the words. We'll see.

Here are pictures of all 8 switches I have before sending back the bad 4 taken with a couple different lighting settings. On the first shipment I received, the letters are crooked and look more like white paint vs the recent shipment where the translucent switch material shows through the black coating. Newer ones are the 4 in the middle of the pics and you can tell they're more uniform in size and the coating was applied more evenly (just look at the pictures of the backs).

Pete,

IMHO those switches look horrible. I would send all of them back and dispute your credit card / paypal charge.

There must be better solutions.

Mark
Old 04-20-2017, 04:12 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Pete,

IMHO those switches look horrible. I would send all of them back and dispute your credit card / paypal charge.

There must be better solutions.

Mark
Yup, that's what I'm doing.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:14 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

What a disgusting piece of workmanship.

Send them back and file a claim w/ your CC company.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:22 AM
JCD911S
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I've seen cake reproductions of objects that look better than these things.

Looks like they used the crapiest 3D printer to make these, then tried playing with them before the plastic fully hardened.

[/quote]
Old 05-05-2017, 01:35 PM
porscheaddicted
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ajayabb

Yes they do (mine do)

Originally Posted by vern1
Gawd those are horrible
+1 those dont look like the ones I got. How long did you order those @Petza914 ?

I got what they now call "V2" and looks nothing compared to what you got, mine are almost perfect on fitting and finish, took a picture before installing one of them:

Quick Reply: Solution for peeling fan/temp switches!