997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To tint or not?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:12 AM
buddy911t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it but too dark looks too aftermarket.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:43 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,626 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Originally Posted by Ish993
I'm not a huge fan of aftermarket tint film.
That being said my daughters used BMW 4dr 3 series came with windows tinted all the way around (except windshield ) she wanted the tint removed form drivers & passenger front doors and it looks pretty good.

I was actually thinking about tinting my rear window and small side windows on my black 993
+1

My 740i had aftermarket tint that wasnt in 100% shape - it was a little hard to see at night - I decided to remove it. It was so brittle it took me about four hours to remove the back, one dime sized piece at a time. - what a PITA.

I have been thinking of tinting my blsck/black 997 . . . not very dark though.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:00 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by X51
I like the tint for the protection it provides the interior from the harmful UV rays. Neither leather nor carpet likes sunlight for prolonged periods of time, and I think with a good quality film it can be tastefully done. I've been thinking about having mine done - as all my other cars have it and I'm used to it.
The glass stops most of the UV rays, without the tint. The tint will help keep the car cooler, however. I am not a fan of tint, unless you need it for a hot climate. I live in North Carolina where it gets relatively hot, but I still don't tint my windows. I just don't like the look/image.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:15 PM
FiatCoupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you just want to keep the heat out then go for a ceramic tint. They are more expensive though. I didn't go this route because I didn't like the look of the ceramic.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:29 PM
malexgcab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FiatCoupe
If you just want to keep the heat out then go for a ceramic tint. They are more expensive though. I didn't go this route because I didn't like the look of the ceramic.
I really like your pictures. Tint not too dark...

I also can relate to other board members against tint.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:52 PM
mzn50
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Personally I love Domer911's look .. for obvious reasons..
In Canada.. the Cops usually will stop you at 20% .. I think 35% is the "unwritten" limit here.. but everything is subjective..

in regards to value in tint.. fo me there is multiple.. UV protection ...keeps it cooler.. these are proven.. if you get the right installer.. and btw.. there are bad ones around.. but with the right one.. I think it looks great and provides value..
Old 05-22-2012, 09:44 PM
krysFly
Instructor

Tint allows me to drink and toke in privacy.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:12 PM
duke92
Advanced

It is hot as hell in Georgia in the summer and dark tint makes it much more comfortable. I also like the sense of privacy it affords. I disagree with the sentiment that it looks "ghetto." But as with all things, to each his (or her) own

Last edited by duke92; 06-03-2012 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:46 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine is black and in Florida.
I went with a clear film from 3M and am VERY pleased with it:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...omotive_Films/
Old 05-22-2012, 11:47 PM
CtrUSA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The added bonus by the way is that the front windshield is "tinted" as well. There is no tint to it - just a lot better when sitting in the sun.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Mine's also black with sand beige. It sits out of doors all day in the sun at my office, and at 7yrs the only issue attributable to the sun is that the carpet in the rear deck and backs of rear seats faded almost to white. And frankly, that and the softening interior paint I blame less on the sun and more on the cheap suits at Porsche who rule cost-cutting with the grace of a Hun. I've re-dyed the carpet myself to an acceptible point, and have been thinking of trying to obtain a piece of carpet remnant to lay over it.

The windows come tinted from the factory (they are not clear, as can easily be seen. They do already reduce UV penetration to a large extent (in fact, clear glass does that as well). A large number of cars here in Florida get aftermarket tinting, and I absolutely despise it. For one thing it makes seeing out at night difficult, especially backing out of a parking spot. For another it tends to become translucent from age and cleaning. And finally, I've never seen a perfect application even from the most-recommended source. To me, tinting desecrates a car and I'd rather do without. A reflective folding panel placed in the windscreen whilst parked is all I use.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:24 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 971 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by CtrUSA
The added bonus by the way is that the front windshield is "tinted" as well. There is no tint to it - just a lot better when sitting in the sun.
this is a very interesting option - to be able to 'tint' the windshield w/o actually applying any color change to it. very cool. any reduction of heat/damage associated with the TX sun is always a plus. with the extended leather package, that even adds to my concerns. in TX, it's not a 'look' thing, it's a survival thing.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:27 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 971 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Mine's also black with sand beige. It sits out of doors all day in the sun at my office, and at 7yrs the only issue attributable to the sun is that the carpet in the rear deck and backs of rear seats faded almost to white. And frankly, that and the softening interior paint I blame less on the sun and more on the cheap suits at Porsche who rule cost-cutting with the grace of a Hun. I've re-dyed the carpet myself to an acceptible point, and have been thinking of trying to obtain a piece of carpet remnant to lay over it.

The windows come tinted from the factory (they are not clear, as can easily be seen. They do already reduce UV penetration to a large extent (in fact, clear glass does that as well). A large number of cars here in Florida get aftermarket tinting, and I absolutely despise it. For one thing it makes seeing out at night difficult, especially backing out of a parking spot. For another it tends to become translucent from age and cleaning. And finally, I've never seen a perfect application even from the most-recommended source. To me, tinting desecrates a car and I'd rather do without. A reflective folding panel placed in the windscreen whilst parked is all I use.
desecrates?? really?
Old 05-23-2012, 06:40 PM
krysFly
Instructor

I didn't realize people had such strong feelings about such an insignificant thing - tint. Words like, hate, despise, ghetto, etc etc, really? If u have such hate towards little tint, I wonder how do you get through the day without going postal. Wow, I would hate to cross some of you guys.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,728 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Tint fan here. But I went LIGHT, in fact, outside you can hardly tell it is tinted in bright light, but it does keep the interior noticeably cooler. Its just a shade darker than stock and looks great on white. Any darker I don't think would have looked good.

I know tint can be pretty polarizing for folks, but I say to each their own.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: To tint or not?