Sponsored by:

Street/Track seats... Sports Seats vs. Bucket seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Anyway, I've found the Sports Buckets to be comfortable even given the lack of ability to adjust - maybe I don't have a high standard for comfort or my body type is what was intended for those seats. The rub is that they are a bit harder to get in and out of than the Sports Seats. You may find that a drag if your car is a DD.
Agree, especially as to body type. Some folks won't be happy in the buckets and need not apply. They fit me perfectly (6'2" 185). It is harder to get in and out but I've developed a technique that works for me, and I'm an old guy, though still pretty limber at 62!

Originally Posted by buckwheat987
GT2 seats are an option but I do hear from some drivers complaining of discomfort with their angle and their heads when using a helmet.
I've not had that problem with a helmet and the GT2 seats, but as above your size, torso length, etc. is going to have a lot to do with it.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:16 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
Agree, especially as to body type. Some folks won't be happy in the buckets and need not apply. They fit me perfectly (6'2" 185). It is harder to get in and out but I've developed a technique that works for me, and I'm an old guy, though still pretty limber at 62!

I've not had that problem with a helmet and the GT2 seats, but as above your size, torso length, etc. is going to have a lot to do with it.
Mike, good job keeping 185 for a 6'2 frame... not easy, as that was me back in college.

For your height, how do you get in/out of those seats? Do you turn hips, sit with legs out and get legs in after? and then more importantly, how do you get out?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:48 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Mike, good job keeping 185 for a 6'2 frame... not easy, as that was me back in college.

For your height, how do you get in/out of those seats? Do you turn hips, sit with legs out and get legs in after? and then more importantly, how do you get out?
Thanks Alex; mostly genetics I imagine.

I try hard not to drag my legs or butt on the side bolster to avoid wear. I step in with my right leg, right hand on the wheel, and as I begin to lower myself into the seat my left hand reaches for the door sill, foream/elbow go against the sill and jamb, and I hoist myself into the seat.

Getting out, again right hand on the wheel, left hand on the sill, forearm/elbow against the sill and jamb and lift as I step out with the left leg.

I can make both these moves in a single relatively smooth motion (so I've been told ) while barely, if at all, rubbing the bolster.

Maybe getting in and out of my car is what keeps me in shape.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:52 PM
paver
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Get the sport buckets if you want a good track setup. They are really very tolerable for the street too. I drive on track w/o the bottom cushion and most of the time I don't even put it back in for street driving...granted I don't do a lot of street. To get in, I have the seat all the way back, I put the heel of my left hand on the door sill, and my right hand lightly on the wheel, right foot in, then heel of my right hand on base of e brake and lower my butt in as the left leg comes in. Maybe it's my build(6'0" 165lbs) but I have no problem at all with it.
If you really want performance, get harnesses to go with the sport buckets. You will need roll bar or harness bar for that. The harnesses let you relax and be light on the steering.
But even if you don't get harnesses, you don't need a cg lock(although I have one I will sell you). All you have to do is get in, move the seat back about as far as it'll go, quickly yank the shldr belt to make it catch, while it's still locked, move the seat forward until you are snug.

Quick Reply: Street/Track seats... Sports Seats vs. Bucket seats