Sponsored by:

Cats and tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 01:05 PM
rcusick
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cats and tiptronic

So I've loved my setup (usual softronic tune, x51 air box, x51 headers, kw coilovers and 200 cell cats, evotech tiptronic tune)... However I've never been able to get the tiptronic to run properly when not driven aggressively. In stop and go traffic under light throttle the car would hesitate when trying to down shift. It would almost downshift too late. My hunch was that the 200 cell cats had reduced back pressure too much and wasn't copacetic with the tiptronic programming. I tried retuning the tip (which was great in other ways) but there is a limit to how much can be reprogrammed. Last week I ripped out the cats and the car is running like a champ. In short, I don't think x51 air box, 200 cell cats and tiptronic are a good mix. Need to ditch the cats or air box.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:40 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have an "S" with the "Sport" software, then changed to Evotech tiptronic tune? If not, I'd like to get your impressions of Evotech's. Does it require a "Sport" button or is it on all the time?

I drove an "S" with the software and the shifts were quick and responsive in downshift. I'm having this installed soon.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by rcusick
So I've loved my setup (usual softronic tune, x51 air box, x51 headers, kw coilovers and 200 cell cats, evotech tiptronic tune)... However I've never been able to get the tiptronic to run properly when not driven aggressively. In stop and go traffic under light throttle the car would hesitate when trying to down shift. It would almost downshift too late. My hunch was that the 200 cell cats had reduced back pressure too much and wasn't copacetic with the tiptronic programming. I tried retuning the tip (which was great in other ways) but there is a limit to how much can be reprogrammed. Last week I ripped out the cats and the car is running like a champ. In short, I don't think x51 air box, 200 cell cats and tiptronic are a good mix. Need to ditch the cats or air box.
I suspect the cause is not the back pressure is at odds with the Tip's programming (shift controller and its shift maps) but it interferes with the air flow during VarioCam valve timing adjustment and low lift/high lift selection.

This timing and lift is based on the stock exhaust/intake and the pressure difference between these at various engine operating rpms.

The mods have upset this and well, you experienced the results.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-13-2012, 04:51 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

click on the thread to figure out why OP is writing about cats... now I know what KIND of cats he meant.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by PasPar2
click on the thread to figure out why OP is writing about cats... now I know what KIND of cats he meant.
Seems clear to me but maybe I missed something horribly obvious, which wouldn't be the first time.

If I did please be gentle. Yeah, I know expecting gentleness from this crowd is like expecting, like expecting... Sigh. Words fail me.

Please, just be gentle.

Or I'll say something mean about the oil you run in your engine.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:00 PM
rcusick
Intermediate

The evotech tiptronic tune (not ecu tune) is awesome. Yes I have the sports software. Evotech tune makes sport mode seem like sport plus. Higher revs held longer. Also sharper shifts. The evotech ecu tune is horrible. Like softronic much better.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:28 PM
gonz911
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have a link to Evotech for the tiptronic tune?
Old 11-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I was expecting to read about our feline friends too...thought maybe the OP was angry over paw prints or something. haha
Old 11-08-2012, 05:16 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by rcusick
I have an '08 C2S with MT. Six months ago I swapped out the stock exhaust with a complete FVD exhaust system: 200 cell cats, exhaust headers with long race pipes, muffler, and tips. The setup consist of 70mm pipes vs. the 62.5mm stock pipes. Immediately after the install I noticed a gain(per the butt dyno and then a true dyno run at a local auto/tuner shop) in torque, HP, and the car's responsiveness. I was disappointed, however, to discover an initial hesitation at launch due to the lack of exhaust back pressure. It wasn't until I had remapped my ECU with the FVD software did the car truly perform as I had hoped. One thing of note with the FVD software... you have to specify to FVD all the mods you've performed, of course, ideally using their exhaust system. But that was one of the key factors that lead me to them in the 1st place. They were able to provide me with a complete package(from exhaust to ECU) that was tested and tuned by them already on their own 997 C2S test car.

The result was a well balanced system with increased responsiveness and performance without that annoying initial hesitation. If anything I then had to recalibrate(remap) my own ECU(brain) to adjust for the quicker acceleration to red line. Caught myself hitting the rev limit in 1st gear much quicker requiring me to shift that much sooner into 2nd. Not sure if Softronic takes into consideration your list of mods but this may be something to discuss with them for guidance.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:13 AM
TECNO
Advanced

I'm bringing this thread back to life as I have a 06 997 S Tiptronic with Fabspeed mufflers and wanting to add some 200 cell catalytic converters. I was hoping to hear from owners who have Tiptronic about their experience when adding 200 cell cats. I have found numerous threads obviously about adding cats, but the info appears to be limited when discussing Tiptronic models.

Have you had any issues with Drone?
Have you had any issues with performance loss?

Quick Reply: Cats and tiptronic