Sponsored by:

ABS/PSM failure - Brake Light Switch

Old 04-27-2012, 05:13 AM
Gary
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS/PSM failure - Brake Light Switch

Folks,

I *think* I have a brake light switch problem and need to change it out. I just need to know whether it's a straightforward DIY or a shop job? Standard 997 Carerra from late 2005.

Just as background, I had a battery problem about 6 weeks ago (battery just died while parked up waiting to pick up my daughter and once jumped to get us home, it wouldn't charge overnight). Purchased new Porsche battery (eq. US$220!). Car perfect after that although not used as much last few weeks. Jumped in a couple of days ago and after a few minutes of driving (and when foot applying brake, the 2 aforementioned idiot lights came on). They reset after ignition off/on cycle but came back on during the return leg of my trip.

Today, the same thing happened but there was another clue (since these lights can mean a plethora of things including low voltage) - when initially trying to start the car, the engine wouldn't turn over. Immediate thought - damn, the battery's flat so next up is the alternator or that "special" earth cable I've seen mentioned which is an expensive fix. Anyway, the "apply brake" message came up. Releasing and pressing again a couple of times and suddenly the car started normally. Idiot lights returned after a shortwhile.

Stopping for a few minutes during this journey, I put the car in Park (Tiptronic). when I went to pull it out, it seemed stuck (button wouldn't press down). Again, pushing again (and harder) on the foot brake and it could then be released from Park.

To make a long story ... er.... long, these latter symptoms together with the idiot lights suggest the brake light (or another brake related...?) switch as the cause hence the original question.

Any pointers / help / comments welcome

Gary.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:10 AM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

It's normal after you replace the battery, however it should go away after a re-start & a mile of driving.
Other info: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...lem-cured.html
Old 04-27-2012, 11:08 AM
Gary
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, the car was running great (no idiot light problems) shortly after I fitted the new battery and drove for a couple of miles. Thereafter, I drove for a couple of weeks (many miles) without any issues so don't believe it's a case of running a few more. However, the thread you reference is absolutely "BRILLIANT" and I'll definitely be ordering a new switch to resolve this since I'm "fairly" sure it's the culprit here. I may try cleaning / reseting the switch this weekend as a starting point but will head down to the Porsche dealer for the part Monday if problem not resolved

Thanks for the reference - I thought I'd searched just about every 911 forum I know for answers but never thought to check Pelican (Duh!).

Best,

Gary.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 PM
NA011
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Aren't you glad Al Gore invented the internet. Wait you're Swiss & you guys just inducted him into the "Internet Hall of Fame".
Old 09-13-2013, 09:54 PM
sulu911
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm having the same problem. Brake switch changed at Indy shop, but still no brake lights.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ABS/PSM failure - Brake Light Switch