Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sweetspot of depreciation? at what age, milage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:31 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,145 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0

My post was not very clear. Didn't have anything to do with depreciation.
I think most electronics age pretty bad! Just look at the old bat mobiles in the 993s. No one wants those anymore. Probably wiser to spend the money on leather and carbon than tech when we buy a car?
Check!
Old 04-04-2015, 01:05 PM
SJP3003
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister C
Good points on the advantages of NAV Macster. I haven't been driving much outside of known territory lately. iPhone nav has definitely saved my butt on foreign travel (walking).
I've found Waze does an impressively good job of getting me places and avoiding traffic jams where conventional GPS maps are limited. I use a metal sliver between my phone and its case (included with the mount) and a magnetic mount that is totally portable. Plus I can use iCar to tape any issues along the ride...
Old 04-05-2015, 12:06 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

this is a similar stategy to what i employ. majority of mass produced cars are worth approx 50% of msrp at 3 year mark. for daily drivers, i look for 3 year old cars (with at least one year of original warranty) with no more the 25k miles. then drive the car(s) for 10 years to get my monies worth (can't see why a 3 year old car with 25k miles shouldnt last another 10 years).

from what i've seen a 911 takes at least 5 years to reach 50% of msrp.

some of you guys swear by warranty while i have seen some financially destroyed from owning a 911 with no warranty while some have had no issues... somewhat of a crapshoot imo. in either case i hunt for 50% off with minimal milage as possible ... and then TRY to drive for a decade to get my money (and enjoyments) worth.

Originally Posted by Ynot
That is the sweet spot for me, most car depreciate close to half of it's original value in 3-4 years. I usually buy CPO, that gives me 2 more years after the original warranty to decided whether I want to keep it after warranty. The 2 to 3 years of ownership will usually let you know if the car is going to be problematic. I brought my CPO 2006 C4S at 50% of the original MSRP, I brought my 2013 981 at 65% of the original MSRP. If you can wait, 3-4 years is the sweet spot. I wouldn't buy a Porsche out of warranty.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:02 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by sambb
agree with above. Nav ensures that most 997s and 991s will not be collectors cars. Because the NAV will stop working and it is an eyesore then.

I hope you aren't serious and this is sarcasm... I mean, there may be many other reasons for them to not be collectors cars but outdated nav systems won't be on that list...
Old 04-19-2016, 10:46 PM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
some of you guys swear by warranty while i have seen some financially destroyed from owning a 911 with no warranty while some have had no issues... somewhat of a crapshoot imo.
"Financially destroyed" from a 911 repair? Seriously? If you can be "destroyed" from a repair on a 911, you have no business owning one. Even the most expensive repair possible, a complete engine replacement/rebuild, is only $15-20K.

I understand 993 turbo rebuilds can be $40K. Yes, that's a lot. But if you can afford what is now a $200K+ car, I don't think $40K is going to ruin you.

Yeah, that would majorly suck, but its not going to derail my retirement.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:17 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

there was a thread on rennlist a while back where an owner could barely keep up with the payments, and had it's engine blow shortly after warranty ended.

not only did he have to continue to pay the monthly payments for the car for over a year despite it not having a working engine, the car also got hit by a hailstorm during this time as it sat outside costing another 7-8k worth of body damage. the story goes on and on...

there are a few others online stories where people seem to have engine explosions, can't afford to fix it since they are already stretched via the monthly payments and then have to give up the car.

a few others i can't recall but it does happen imo; and i don't disagree with you when you say it wasn't within realistic financial reach to begin with.

Originally Posted by ABQ997
"Financially destroyed" from a 911 repair? Seriously? If you can be "destroyed" from a repair on a 911, you have no business owning one. Even the most expensive repair possible, a complete engine replacement/rebuild, is only $15-20K.

I understand 993 turbo rebuilds can be $40K. Yes, that's a lot. But if you can afford what is now a $200K+ car, I don't think $40K is going to ruin you.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:20 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
there was a thread on rennlist a while back where an owner could barely keep up with the payments, and had it's engine blow shortly after warranty ended.

not only did he have to continue to pay the monthly payments for the car for over a year despite it not having a working engine, the car also got hit by a hailstorm during this time as it sat outside costing another 7-8k worth of body damage. the story goes on and on...

there are a few others online stories where people seem to have engine explosions, can't afford to fix it since they are already stretched via the monthly payments and then have to give up the car.

a few others i can't recall but it does happen imo; and i don't disagree with you when you say it wasn't within realistic financial reach to begin with.
Look, be honest with yourselves.... what advice would you give to a 20-something starting out their careers when the find the price of an M96/M97 car is in their purchase-prince range? Think about it.

There are a ton of young folks who are lusting after these cars. But can they really afford them?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-22-2016, 11:30 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Look, be honest with yourselves.... what advice would you give to a 20-something starting out their careers when the find the price of an M96/M97 car is in their purchase-prince range? Think about it.

There are a ton of young folks who are lusting after these cars. But can they really afford them?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

What's the definition of a young folk?

Some can, some can't. There are also plenty of old folks who lust after these cars but can't really afford them either. LOL And when/if they can, they can't get in/out of it.
Old 04-22-2016, 03:51 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

Folk = Anyone that owes money on a car, payment, bank loan, that uses all their income for payments of the dream. Unaware (head in the sand) that the dream car out of warranty, a used $5o,ooo dollar car, is still repaired like a $125,ooo dollar car.

I am currently being Folk-ed by BMW. Out of factory warranty (4/80k), but with purchased aftermarket warranty (7/140k). After a BMW dealer repair of leaky oil filter gasket. ($7oo)(7 day). 471kms later, oil starvation on the crank. Smoked the bearings off rod #1 and #2.
According to the dealer, non related. According to my 3 other indy's... directly related.
51 days at the shop... so far. New engine is being shipped from the Black Forest. Cost? Over 20 large.
Car cost 80 new. Bought used for 45, including tax and warranty. While I'm not out of the woods yet. This is how some get in over their head.
Currently on the looser cruiser. Wife has my car.
Attached Images    
Old 04-22-2016, 05:49 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ABQ997

You will be surprised, I thought majority of Californians are rich when I was younger. They all drive BMW's and Mercedes. Once I got to know them better, it was all for show. Cars were lease, they live in 2 bdrm apartments with 3 other people. They live pay check to paycheck. As long as the bank is willing to lend, they are ready to owe. It's pretty sad.
Old 04-22-2016, 06:57 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You will be surprised, I thought majority of Californians are rich when I was younger. They all drive BMW's and Mercedes. Once I got to know them better, it was all for show. Cars were lease, they live in 2 bdrm apartments with 3 other people. They live pay check to paycheck. As long as the bank is willing to lend, they are ready to owe. It's pretty sad.
According to this article I just read 47% of Americans don't have $400 (four hundred dollars) on hand to cover an unexpected emergency. I assume some of that 47% have leased BMWs and maybe even used 997s in the garage. I'm not in the business of telling others how to live their lives, but I couldn't live like that.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...-shame/476415/
Old 04-23-2016, 10:13 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu311
According to this article I just read 47% of Americans don't have $400 (four hundred dollars) on hand to cover an unexpected emergency. I assume some of that 47% have leased BMWs and maybe even used 997s in the garage. I'm not in the business of telling others how to live their lives, but I couldn't live like that.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...-shame/476415/
That is just sad, my wife used to work at a bank. She tells me people come in all the time to complain about overdraft charges. She said not many people have more than a thousand in their checking accounts.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:59 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

post deleted
Old 04-24-2016, 05:22 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

+911

Old 04-25-2016, 08:18 PM
waizone
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Interesting thread. I decided to keep my 07 997S. I'm original owner and already lost a bucket of money on a highly optioned 6MT car. Its a low mile example and they only reason I'd sell is to buy either a 997GT3 (90K +) , a 997 GTS ($75K) or a 991 GTS ($100K+). Figure I can get $52-57K for mine which has 21K miles and an original MSRP of $101,600. Not sure if the cost difference is worth it to me. I also recently purchased a 95 993 at what was FMV and a 2009 turbo with 900 miles where I paid top dollar. Hoping the 07 won't loose much more, 993 should be fine and the turbo should be fine if I don't drive it more than 3K miles per year.

Quick Reply: Sweetspot of depreciation? at what age, milage?