Sponsored by:

Is this a really good price on a 997.2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 01:35 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Neotorque
This seems pretty low for a nicely optioned (sport seats, sport plus, pdk, nav, etc) 997.2:

Is it just me, or is that way below what they were going for even a few months back?
It's optioned ok but not what I'd call nice. Manual seats? But it's a base model and the price brings it in the mortal range dave
Old 03-30-2012, 11:29 AM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heh. Definitely not making fun of anyone, but I just think it's funny how all the Porsche owners, who roll their eyes at things like a push button start, auto headlights, and (in many cases) automatic transmissions, care so much about manual vs. automatic seats. I've got the fully automatic seats and think I have used them maybe once. You could swap my seats out for manual tonight and I probably wouldn't notice till June.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:13 PM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 192 Likes on 82 Posts

It's now 53.9k
Old 03-30-2012, 04:37 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Carmax will typically target the mid to low price band of the market to move cars quickly... so this may be an indicator of where a base 997.2 should be priced in the market. Of course, the low price point will make some owners nervous about the depreciated value of their own 997's. So we'll pick out some of the obvious negatives of the car. For some lucky owner... this may be the "one" w/o all the bling factor/factory options but it's a Porsche. Buyer beware, however, as I've dealt with Carmax in the pass. Great place to bump a car... just not the inverse.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:55 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Great place to bump a car... just not the inverse.
Can you explain? Never dealt with them.
Old 03-31-2012, 05:02 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

For starters... they use inhouse experts to evaluate incoming cars - 120 pts inspections, etc. Their expert gave my old M3 an excellent rating even though it had frame damage(prior accident) and flood damage. All of the damage was professionally repaired but their 120 pts inspection didn't catch anything... is a joke. So it's a great place to dump a car... I'm sure, however, that you could find something good every so often. The problem is that you have to rely on their 120 pts inspection to determine if the vehicle is sound since they will not allow a PPI until after you've purchase the car and that's how they trap most buyers.

They also upsell you on their extend warranty. If anything is wrong with the car... the ext warranty should take care of that. The truth, however, is that many of the repairs are not fully paid for by their warranty. Just do a search on this.
Old 03-31-2012, 02:19 PM
Marlon Targa 86
Racer

I've seen that car come off and online a bunch of times. So that means it's been test driven and the potential buyer didn't want it. Or worst, someone bought it and returned it.

They took off 2K off the 55.8K price. That looks funny to me, that they can't get rid off this car.

My 2 cents.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:35 PM
SacTownGuy
Racer

Carmax has an interesting model. They are a huge volume place so you will hear good and bad of course. However, they pay pretty good prices for used cars and save you the trouble of all the tire kickers. I have looked at a few cars there and felt the prices were on the high side of reasonable but occasionally they have one that seems cheap.

Quick Reply: Is this a really good price on a 997.2?