Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattles not covered under CPO warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 03:32 PM
403portside
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Rattles not covered under CPO warranty?

Was told that by Carlsen Porsche today. Was pretty ticked they didn't tell me that before I drove down to drop off my car.

They state that rattles are covered under the original manufacturer's warranty but not CPO. Is that a load of crap?

TIA.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 403portside
Was told that by Carlsen Porsche today. Was pretty ticked they didn't tell me that before I drove down to drop off my car.

They state that rattles are covered under the original manufacturer's warranty but not CPO. Is that a load of crap?

TIA.
Read the CPO fine print, but probably not. The 'new improved' CPO warranty (which made an appearance in 2008) is much better than the previous CPO warranty but still does not offer the same level of coverage as does the new car warranty.

I have the CPO paperwork with its fine print that came with my Turbo but it is not handy to consult.

What I learned about my car's history is the original owner did bring the car in for noise/rattle issues and these were addressed (pieces of felt applied at some dash joints/seams and at a few areas in the sunroof) under the car's new car warranty.

As an aside: While I never had any rattles appear I found out the CPO warranty doesn't cover the car's battery.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:46 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

TIA.
My sales guy at Sonnen explained to me that my CPO warranty initiated in 2012 is almost identical to the original warranty except it does not cover paint and door and window seals.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:52 PM
Aerokitted
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't like strangers messing with my car if they don't have to so for most rattles, I just live with it. If it ain't broken, don't touch it.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 131 Posts

This is why sometimes those low mileage steal deals are not that great. Many of the issues with the car simply never get shaken out and then the next guy has to deal with it. Rattles and cosmetic issues are not covered like mechanical issues are.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:40 PM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
I don't like strangers messing with my car if they don't have to so for most rattles, I just live with it. If it ain't broken, don't touch it.
+1
Old 02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by Aerokitted
You'll trust the shop to fix your brakes, but not a rattle??? And logically, if it's rattling, it is broken.

The problem with Porsches is the ride is so hard, rattles tend to develop chronically whereas a Mercedes for example, once you find and fix the rattle it most likely won't come back. My sunroof has been out of the car three times, each time it stays quiet for a few months and then starts rattling again. Living with it is not an option for me. To me, rattles are like the ancient Chinese water torture, and I despise driving with a radio going.

BTW, all three times they r/r my sunroof was under CPO at no cost to me. Also the trim plate behind the rear window and in front of the engine hatch was loose (assembler x-threaded one of the stud nuts). That was also covered by CPO.

What the dealer said wasn't covered was when the umbilicus holding the gas cap to the fender broke, they soaked me for a new gas cap. Next time it breaks I'm going to use a piece of rubber tubing to join the two parts together.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:15 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
You'll trust the shop to fix your brakes, but not a rattle??? And logically, if it's rattling, it is broken.

The problem with Porsches is the ride is so hard, rattles tend to develop chronically whereas a Mercedes for example, once you find and fix the rattle it most likely won't come back. My sunroof has been out of the car three times, each time it stays quiet for a few months and then starts rattling again. Living with it is not an option for me. To me, rattles are like the ancient Chinese water torture, and I despise driving with a radio going.

BTW, all three times they r/r my sunroof was under CPO at no cost to me. Also the trim plate behind the rear window and in front of the engine hatch was loose (assembler x-threaded one of the stud nuts). That was also covered by CPO.

What the dealer said wasn't covered was when the umbilicus holding the gas cap to the fender broke, they soaked me for a new gas cap. Next time it breaks I'm going to use a piece of rubber tubing to join the two parts together.
Good to hear that CPO has covered your fixes...but how did the gas cap tether possibly break?
Old 02-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Good to hear that CPO has covered your fixes...but how did the gas cap tether possibly break?
Dunno. One day I went to fill up and it was in two pieces. I suspect it was a combination of 5 yrs of being baked inside the (black) cubby under Florida sun, and being made of the same cost-cutting inferior plastic crap they use elsewhere on the car. The little red plastic covering on the frunk release latch on mine is now faded pink and cracked. All the interior soft-touch paint is sloughing off. Several plastic clips under the headliner and some involving the sunroof have gone brittle and cracked. Seems like Porsche doesn't know the climate isn't like Germany's everywhere in the world...or doesn't care.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:56 PM
timmp
Intermediate

Default Sonnen...

Sonnen in Mill Valley, where I purchased the car, was happy to work on my list of fixes under CPO, including some rattles.

So far, for me, they have been a great dealership. My service writer did a great job.

tim
Old 02-05-2012, 05:20 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Palmbeacher...I thought I was the only one with a gas cap tether failure! Mine is a daily driver and as you know, here in FL that equates to some pretty toasty afternoons sitting in the outside parking lot. I just cut the rest of the tether off and plan to buy another when I get around to it. Wonder when I'll drive off with the cap sitting on the pump......what's that check engine light for?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:00 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

I had the parts guy at Champion look it up and he couldn't find that they sell the tether separately. A new gas cap with tether ran me $26 installed.

Still seemed like a ripoff since the cap itself was fine. I had actually tied the tether in a knot to keep it together, thought CPO would cover it so I just told the advisor to replace it. Had I known it wasn't covered I would have got a piece of black rubber tubing about 3cm long, with ID just slightly smaller than the tether, then force the broken ends of the tether into the tubing so they butt together mid-way. Maybe coat the ends of the tether with rubber cement if I had some.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:07 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

TIA.
to me it sounds like a bad dealer.
good sales manager would simply call his tech, got him into your car, you would drive around a block and he would be able to say almost right away what is it happens there. i had 2 or 3 interior rattles and they all were fixed in a matter of minutes. they simplky use some rubber cord to push into some places and it gets job done.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:18 PM
aka_Sven
Advanced

Palmbeacher / McCulla:

Is it possible that something like suntan lotion, mosquito reppellant, or hand cream contributed to the discoloration and deterioration? Some of the parts you describe don't sound like they would have seen much sun exposure. Since learning about the climate control switches' surface deterioration, I have placed a ban on any substances in my car. I've seen what some of these things can do to the collar of my shirts.

Steve
Old 02-06-2012, 06:10 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speaking for myself, I use no lotions/potions/creams, etc, period. This problem with surface degradation has been addressed on this forum many times, and it is a known issue. Sticky No More can fix the problem if desired. This is not exclusive to Porsche. Ferrari has had issues with theirs as well. I don't pay any attention to the fact that mine are basically bare now, this car is my daily ride and it has it's share of warts. I love driving it as much as I can, and if you do that, the chances increase that the perfection will take some hits. The tether on the gas cap that Palmbeacher and I mentioned is more likely the use of a material that isn't up to the job. No big deal, it's $28. I haven't fixed that yet either....lazy I guess.

Quick Reply: Rattles not covered under CPO warranty?