Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattles not covered under CPO warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't use lotions or sunscreen either (though my dermatologist says I ought to). My air-con controls are smooth matte black plastic, not the rubbery coated type, and they are so far perfect. It's a January '05 car, but I'm the second owner, and I don't know if the radio and air-con switchgear is original or not. The dealer has all the service records, but I never thought to ask. Frankly I've never seen a 997 with rubber finish on any of the switchgear except the round power/volume and PCM-setting *****. Mine got a tad sticky and I cleaned them with acetone. Accidentally scraped a bit of the underlying black with a nail, and touched it up invisibly with Testors flat-black. I used it to proper effect on a BMW radio some years ago. Works a trick if you're meticulous with its application.

The rest of the interior plastic trim is quite another nightmare. I wouldn't dare apply any sort of solvent to it, else all the tan paint would be removed. Some of those plastic parts are the same colour beneath the paint, including the console and ashtray cover, and the ignition key surround. I've thought about merely stripping the paint and bead-blasting them for a matte look, but thus far I've managed to keep the damage to a minimum so I'm not in any hurry.

Other of the trim is black underneath, which presents a different problem, although they would probably not look all that bad if stripped to the bare black plastic, given that it's not an unaesthetic contrast with the tan. A case in point is the small ring surrounding the headlamp switch...the switch itself is black plastic, so transforming the surround to black wouldn't really detract.

As to the gas cap tether, it's not even something one would handle in one's hands. It's not even easy to splash it with petrol. Quite certainly it simply cannot withstand the ravages of heat and/or age. Likewise the red plastic on the inside frunk release lever. I can see it if I peer through the gap, therefore I assume that UV can reach it as well.

Quick Reply: Rattles not covered under CPO warranty?