Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint to Sample - Increased or Decreased resale/desirability?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

Now that is a nice green! I wish there was a configurator that would let you try different colors on these things first!

Porsche AG--take note!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:56 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Smyrna Green is one of my favorites along with Irish and Auratrium (sp?)
You were close! 'Auratium Green' was a special 356 color the factory had from 1957 to 1959. It is quite rare to see. Saludos, z356
Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Piratesoul
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love this post. Didn't know there was such a thing and now realize I just bought a PTS car! Not quite sure what color it is though, hard to tell from the pictures. Oslo Blue, baltic blue, slate blue. Now I'm even more excited for the car to get here just to read the darn paint code!
Old 01-13-2012, 11:21 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
You were close! 'Auratium Green' was a special 356 color the factory had from 1957 to 1959. It is quite rare to see. Saludos, z356
Eduardo,

How do you think that color would translate to a modern Porsche (991)?? with balck or Natural Brown?

Tom
Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Eduardo,

How do you think that color would translate to a modern Porsche (991)?? with balck or Natural Brown?

Tom
Just a question (to those who know more than me, which would be just about everyone). Would it even be possible to replicate that paint color (green) today? Paint formulations being very different today than they were 40 or 50 years ago, even if you use the same pigment ratios will the look, once it is on the sheet metal, be comparable (it certainly won't be has hard)? Maybe that's why PAG rejects so many PTS requests.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:00 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Just a question (to those who know more than me, which would be just about everyone). Would it even be possible to replicate that paint color (green) today? Paint formulations being very different today than they were 40 or 50 years ago, even if you use the same pigment ratios will the look, once it is on the sheet metal, be comparable (it certainly won't be has hard)? Maybe that's why PAG rejects so many PTS requests.
As far as I know and I don't know a lot (I've only done this twice....once with the interior and once with the exterior) you won't know until you ask and then it could literally take months for the answer and I think you have to place an order for the car first. They just won't say yes or no w/o money involved.

Tom
Old 01-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Eduardo, How do you think that color would translate to a modern Porsche (991)?? with balck or Natural Brown? Tom
With Natural Brown leather interior for sure...and it would look great!

This has been the ongoing problem now for a while. Case in point is 'Signal Yellow'. A great vintage 911 color...but difficult now to duplicate without the old lead ingredients that the paint used to be formulated with in the early 1970's. I had a 1973 911T with original 'Signal Yellow' paint and it was impossible to match in 2008, when I tried to repair some odd scratches here & there. A professional high end car painter (a well-known Porsche restoration guru in LA) couldn't do it, after many, many tries. And this after all the advantages of the newer spectrograph technology (where a gun is used to detect the spectra of paint colors on an existing painted part of your car) and related state-of-art paint formulation with today's advanced auto paint technologies.

Interestingly enough, someone via Porsche UK was able to order a 997 gt3 RS in that color with black trim. It looked terrific...and then it was denied to everyone else who asked for that exact color via PTS from PAG. We don't know the real answer but it could be that it started fading at different rates over plastic bumpers than the front metal hood, etc. Once the factory got complaints from the field and it became a warranty nightmare to satisfy the customer, it just sealed its fate and 'Signal Yellow' was no more.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-for-sale.html

As far as I know and I don't know a lot (I've only done this twice....once with the interior and once with the exterior) you won't know until you ask and then it could literally take months for the answer and I think you have to place an order for the car first. They just won't say yes or no w/o money involved. Tom
In my opinion, the factory has two standards for PTS. If you select a color that has recently been used on another model which met the factory's 'fading' or 'cover' criteria, they usually will approve it without major trouble. Case in point was when Steve F. ordered his MY2012 Spyder in PTS 'Speed Yellow'. The factory was already doing 'Speed Yellow' in the regular Boxsters and Caymans and knew it was not going to be a problem on the similar Spyder body. So collect an easy $5500 and deliver.

When another Spyder customer asked for 'RS Orange', it was denied and Porsche Exclusive suggested 'Pastell Orange' because it had recently approved this somewhat similar orange hue for a 911 and all the tests were positive. Apparently 'RS Orange', a true & tried color since the 2007 gt3 RS, no longer met the 'fading' criteria. When that same customer asked for 'Dolphin Grey' instead, the factory first asked for an actual color sample since it could have resembled its 'Sport Classic Gray' which was being reserved for that special model. It was denied too, although no explanations were given that I recall.

So here is what I think I know about PTS. If you want an unusual color for your Porsche, be prepared to have a metal sample painted in that color and sent to the factory to be 'tested'. They will then determine if it passes muster. For example, even though the factory painted my 'Signal Green' 997.1 in 2007 and it was obviously approved, they will not commit to duplicating it on a 2013/2014 991 until I give them an color sample and place an order. Another method is to ask 'Porsche Exclusive' what unusual PTS colors have been recently tested and approved by series production at the factory. For example, you want something 'orange' and they will tell you 'We can do 'Pastell'. You avoid the hassle of submitting your own sample, wasting valuable time testing it and then getting a possible rejection. Comprende?

Saludos, Eduardo (z356)
Back in lovely Carmel with my 'left-over' brand new '11 JCW Mini Hardtop which I just picked up from a Mini dealer in Appleton, Wisconsin and drove back to the Left Coast without issues since there is no snow on any road in the Western USA!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Z356; 01-13-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:36 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

When I ordered PTS Blue Turquoise in 2006 I went through two other colors first before they reluctantly agreed to do the turquoise. They spent about 90 days testing my first choice of Gulf Blue before they contacted me and said, no go. Then a vintage 1950s Ferrari race car blue--also, no go. In the meantime, the clock continued to count down toward my Euro Delivery. It was still a 9 month ordeal. Most Rennlisters don't have that much patience.

My tale was published in PCA's Porsche Panorama. May be worth revisiting.

http://coochas.com/porsche/Resources...roDelivery.pdf
Old 01-13-2012, 03:40 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Eduardo,

Are you ordering another 991 in Signal Green? And do you have an e-mail for Porsche Exclusive so I can ask that question? Thanks!

Tom
Old 01-13-2012, 03:43 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
When I ordered PTS Blue Turquoise in 2006 I went through two other colors first before they reluctantly agreed to do the turquoise. They spent about 90 days testing my first choice of Gulf Blue before they contacted me and said, no go. Then a vintage 1950s Ferrari race car blue--also, no go. In the meantime, the clock continued to count down toward my Euro Delivery. It was still a 9 month ordeal. Most Rennlisters don't have that much patience.

I have a similar story with Champagne yellow....took them 3 months to deny and then I did BT and it went through with Dan leading the way 4 years earlier.

With all the hassle still PTS is wonderful!

Dan that bitter Chocolate is gorgeous....non-metallic right?

Tom
Old 01-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

So, it would be you and Tom I have to thank for my PTS in BT actually being built ahead of schedule. Even my sales guy was surprised at the fact that the PTS got zero resistance from Stuttgart. (BTW, it was scheduled for a July 26 build but went into the queue some three weeks earlier.)
Old 01-13-2012, 04:33 PM
lopro
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Z356 you really are a PTS guru. Thanks for the info. Love reading your pts posts. Very informative and knowledgable. Thank you.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Nicely done, Dan!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:54 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

So, it would be you and Tom I have to thank for my PTS in BT actually being built ahead of schedule. Even my sales guy was surprised at the fact that the PTS got zero resistance from Stuttgart. (BTW, it was scheduled for a July 26 build but went into the queue some three weeks earlier.)
Yep!!! The Invoice is in the mail!!
Old 01-13-2012, 05:11 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I noticed that if you search Goggle images for "Porsche 997", the first image in the search results is your car. Wow.

Quick Reply: Paint to Sample - Increased or Decreased resale/desirability?