Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vancouver to Santa Barbara.... Drive or fly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Vancouver to Santa Barbara.... Drive or fly?

I plan to spend 3-4 weeks in December in Santa Barbara... now I am not sure if I should drive all the way from Vancouver to Santa Barbara... and drive around with the P-car while I am there, OR, to just fly down, and rent an average car for the time I spend out there.

The costs are almost the same, I obviously save rental fees, but the gas to drive down and back, plas a cpl of nights of stay onroute, almost equals the cost, not to mention the number of days saved NOT traveling!

Question is, do I have a lot of fun places to drive to in 997 around there? and is it worth the long commute in not such nice climate (in WA and OR). I am still on summer tires and don't wanna put winters If I am driving in Cali, so IF I got stuck in some snow on the route with summer tires, I might be in trouble?!

The other point is that I might have visitors and it'd be nice to have a 4-door to go places, and not knowing how people react to Porsche drivers down there (have heard/seen some negative reaction from ppl not liking Porsche drivers lately), might be easier to have a rental car to go around, no?

So, I am leaning towards flying... convince me otherwise! I am not sure if the road down has too many interesting spots worth stopping by, so pls educate me for ones who've done this before during this time of the year. I am quite familiar with WA and Northern OR, but not much further down from there.

Cheers!
Old 11-16-2011, 05:03 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Highway 1 is an amazing drive - very scenic along the ocean (SF -> LA)
You can stop in at Napa & Sonoma for wine - if you are into that thing
Redwood forests are really cool
Some great roads south of the SF bay area if you want to cross over the hills (lots of windy narrow roads!)

Since you have the time, I would drive. I would love to have P-car around those hills (I always fly there because its so far, and i am never there more than a week!)
Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally, I would fly, that is too much driving for me. It's much more comfortable.
Old 11-16-2011, 05:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hoffa
Highway 1 is an amazing drive - very scenic along the ocean (SF -> LA)
You can stop in at Napa & Sonoma for wine - if you are into that thing
Redwood forests are really cool
Some great roads south of the SF bay area if you want to cross over the hills (lots of windy narrow roads!)

Since you have the time, I would drive. I would love to have P-car around those hills (I always fly there because its so far, and i am never there more than a week!)
Even this time of the year? I know south of SF is gonna be nice, but what about the rest of the road?
Old 11-16-2011, 06:02 PM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Even this time of the year? I know south of SF is gonna be nice, but what about the rest of the road?
Most of my driving around the area was in Nov (rented a car over a weekend), but best to let a local comment.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 30 Posts

definitely fly. I got bored with hours of highway driving no matter what car I'm in. Winter driving in 911 in summer tires with no spare is dangerous. Don't do it.
Old 11-16-2011, 07:21 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love to drive and take the 997 down to LA and environs at least once per year.

LA is good 2 day drive, best is to get a kick start by taking a half day jump to Portland or Seattle and then take your time from there.

But December for 3 weeks is IMPOSSIBLE!

Unless you want to be ready to ship a change of wheels back and forth then you cannot rely on being able to get through the high passes in Oregon and northern California.

I usually go in Feb/March when I can check that road conditions are acceptable for summer tires and are likely to be improved for my return owing to the change of season.

Don't do it...
Old 11-16-2011, 07:30 PM
sturm
Racer

Fly
I've done the drive to Carmel a number of times and I'm just south you.

In a marathon day of driving I can make it to San Francisco; ~14hrs Driving the coast takes 2.5x time and it is dark and wet this time of year with most of the restaurants/motels closed for the season. Even Napa is pretty quiet

You will likely hit snow at Ashland OR or if not there, on the pass between Oregon and CA.

Allegiant Air out of Bellingham is something like $100 each way to L.A. Spend the extra money on a nice rental car!

We got our first snow today

'93rsa 3.8
Old 11-16-2011, 08:06 PM
SBPORSCHE
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I can tell you that driving in paradise (AKA SB) is epic....we have wonderful backcountry through the Santa Ynez wine country, and the hilly mountain roads of the Los Padres National Forest.
Our community is very laid back--ie no negative reactions to Porsche.
However, I can't tell you about the roads/weather conditions you'd have to encounter to get here.
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've driven from LA to Vancouver and back twice in my Porsches (once in the 07 T4S, and last year my current 06C2S cab. I love road trips, but in this case I think I'd lean towards flying. Things to consider:

Remember to factor in roughly 10 cents/mile for tire wear, in addition to your gas costs, meals, and hotel.

I assume you'd take I-5 down to the Bay area and then possibly the 101 south from there. In my trips, I found the pavement on I-5 through Oregon to be very coarse, causing a huge amount of tire noise in the cabin.

The central valley in northern California often has Tule (spelling?) fog, which I ran into 27 years ago when driving from Vancouver to Palm Springs over Xmas. It was the most nerve-wracking drive I've ever taken, driving about 20 mph on I-5 from Red Bluff to south of Stockton fearing I'd either hit someone or someone would drive into the back of me. I swore I would never drive that stretch in winter again.

I also ran into a lot of snow on that trip on the Siskiyou Pass between Ashland and Redding. Luckily, I was able to follow a big semi so I could see where the road was, AND I had snow tires on my car (BMW 633 CSI). If you start from Vancouver first thing in the morning, you'll likely find yourself heading into the pass after dark. Love the drive in daytime and in nice weather. But on a winter night it is no fun.

If you were doing it anytime between April and October I'd say go for it. But with winter weather unknowns and cost considerations, I'd recommend flying this time.
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

fly - time is money
Old 11-16-2011, 09:03 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Fly.....fly.....fly......
Old 11-16-2011, 09:09 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all the replies folks, fly it is!

I will be doing my winter wheels this weekend then! Too bad, it's the FIRST snow weekend and EVERYWHERE is BOOKED and I don't have a jack myself! Oh well...
Old 11-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Vancouver-BC
Instructor

+1 on flying. I drove down to Portland from Vancouver at the beginning of October and did not take my Porsche for many of the reasons listed above. You'll spend all your time checking the weather and be worried about the trip there and back, so I would fly and leave your car safely parked in the garage in Vancouver. Besides aren't they forecasting a colder than normal winter.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I just drove from Bellingham to LA two weeks ago. Took 2 days and it was really fun! Gotta watch for the speed traps. Got compliments from other motorists at every rest stop.

But yeah winter on the Oregon to Cali pass can be rough. There was a little snow when I went though. Got a little scared when I saw the chains sign, but realized they just keep it up year round.

I lost track of how many tanks of gas after the 4th one, and my lead foot wasn't helping.

Quick Reply: Vancouver to Santa Barbara.... Drive or fly?