Sponsored by:

I need sympathy!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:36 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The saga continues.

Wednesday at noon the guy from the glass company showed up. "Did you realize this is an aftermarket windshield from China?"

"@#$ no, I didn't even know such a thing existed."

"Well it's a POS and if I were you I wouldn't put it on the car. You'll end up replacing it shortly."

"@#$#@"

So I had the guy take a look at the cracks in the glass, which by now reach all the way from the very top to the very bottom of the windshield. His comments: "Aw heck, that's not so bad. Drive it back home and get it fixed right there."

Obviously, this guy is NOT working on commission. I didn't know such honesty still existed in the world.

So I drove the 450 miles home today. He was right -- I made it and everything was fine. Tomorrow I'll get to work on getting a replacement OEM windshield installed.

My luck must be changing. I blew right by a CHP officer on the side of the road on I-5 as I was doing 85 - and he ignored me. Whew!

DMoore
'11 GTS (has the curse been lifted?)
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 11-18-2011, 01:43 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore
The saga continues.

Wednesday at noon the guy from the glass company showed up. "Did you realize this is an aftermarket windshield from China?"

"@#$ no, I didn't even know such a thing existed."

"Well it's a POS and if I were you I wouldn't put it on the car. You'll end up replacing it shortly."

"@#$#@"

So I had the guy take a look at the cracks in the glass, which by now reach all the way from the very top to the very bottom of the windshield. His comments: "Aw heck, that's not so bad. Drive it back home and get it fixed right there."

Obviously, this guy is NOT working on commission. I didn't know such honesty still existed in the world.

So I drove the 450 miles home today. He was right -- I made it and everything was fine. Tomorrow I'll get to work on getting a replacement OEM windshield installed.

My luck must be changing. I blew right by a CHP officer on the side of the road on I-5 as I was doing 85 - and he ignored me. Whew!

DMoore
'11 GTS (has the curse been lifted?)
'10 Panamera 4S
I just saw this thread and wanted to comment that you do NOT want someone mobile to replace your windshield, so YOU GOT LUCKY you had such an honest guy to deal with!

100% get it replaced at dealer, ensure they USE OEM German made glass, AND OEM GLUE, it is very critical to do this right. When I visited the factory in Stutgart, they said THE ONLY part of the car that is assembled by a robot was the windshield (and did see how it's done), as workers couldn't apply the glue as evenly nor could mount the heavy glass perfectly in place.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:17 PM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Alexb76:

Thanks! I've taken your advice and now have an appt for next week at my dealership to replace the glass with OEM.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S

Quick Reply: I need sympathy!