Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do some PDK cars have "Paddle" shifters and some have the "Thumb" shifters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The previous owner of my car had the dealer modify the buttons so that the ones on the front don't do anything at all. The right hand button on the back of the wheel up-shifts and the back one on the left down-shifts. This is my first experience with a flappy paddle gearbox so I don't have anything to compare it to but it was very easy to get used to. I did two days at Sebring earlier this month and didn't have any inadvertent shifts. I didn't read the entire thread so I apologize if this has been discussed previously.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:39 AM
MrBCut
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default @OhioLeftu

Originally Posted by OhioLefty
Title pretty much says it all.

Why do some PDK equipped cars have "Paddle" shifters and some have the "Thumb" shifters on the steering wheel?

Thanks in advance...
I know this is an old post but THANK YOU for asking this and thank you all for the wonderful comments and feedback!
Old 06-16-2018, 11:57 AM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 493 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Cloudspin
The previous owner of my car had the dealer modify the buttons so that the ones on the front don't do anything at all. The right hand button on the back of the wheel up-shifts and the back one on the left down-shifts. This is my first experience with a flappy paddle gearbox so I don't have anything to compare it to but it was very easy to get used to. I did two days at Sebring earlier this month and didn't have any inadvertent shifts. I didn't read the entire thread so I apologize if this has been discussed previously.
Interesting approach. With the passage of time, did you keep and still like that setup?

Karl.
Old 06-16-2018, 12:08 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

Paddles have several other uses
Old 06-16-2018, 01:10 PM
MrBCut
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Pmorritt
Paddles have several other uses
@Pmorritt do tell
Old 06-16-2018, 02:01 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by DMoore

However, a year into my C2S ownership I started to track the car. I discovered what others have mentioned about the fleshy part at the base of the thumb causing an inadvertent upshift. That only happens when the wheel is cranked over - i.e. in the middle of a turn - and of course that's the WORST time for a sudden upshift. I realized that my PSDS instructors held their thumb vertically on the steering wheel instead of hooking it around the rim of the wheel. When I tried it - voila! No more inadvertent upshifts.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Just a different perspective ...

I was taught to drive by my elders (and that was 50 some years ago). I was told to never wrap my thumbs around the wheel because if you hit a rut the wheel will spin and break them.

I've seen the wheel spin in a blur while driving off road as well as driving farm and heavy equipment. So I know my elders were correct.

I'll admit it doesn't apply to modern cars so much, but I've gotten home with both thumbs multiple times because of what I was taught. So I drive this way.

I also, from years of motorcycles, drive with a light touch (I've got strong arms but long days riding in the dirt don't favor a tight grip).

When you combine those, the buttons work flawlessly.

I also find the buttons require less fuss to reach which is nice. There's a lot less disruption in my grip. FWIW, I was driving a friend's GTS a week or so ago and when I reached to upshift found myself washing the windshield. Never had this problem pulling back on the buttons.

So I prefer the buttons to the paddles on my wife's AMG (yes, I've experienced both). But that's me. No need for anyone to take this personally.

It was bold of Porsche to go a different path. It's nice to have choices.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:39 AM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts

My perspective from all options. I own 3 Pcars......one Tip with buttons, one 6 speed manual, and one PDK with paddle shifters. I am not fond of the buttons because of the thumb "up/down" shift. In spirited driving I've lost my hand position on the wheel and not been able to grab the gear I wanted. I love the manual and running through the gears with the exception of every day driving. My last straw was on my way to work with my favorite thermal mug full of hot coffee....between my legs (because the cup holders suck) and on a steep incline....traffic moves, clutch out and zoom forward....coffee all over my white dress shirt. In my crotch too so my day is ruined and I have to go back home and change. Now to the PDK with paddle shifters....for me the perfect compromise. Again, this is MY opinion and works for me, and I realize many others may feel differently. I love the fact that I can drive in "auto" in traffic and switch to auto/manual with the paddle shifters when I want to drive aggressively. The paddle shifters are dedicated to up on one side and down shifting on the other which is intuitive (for me) and adds to my driving enjoyment. I recently did an 800 mile road trip through 4 states in my 997.2 TT (PDK) and used the paddles on canyon drives and "overtaking" on the open roads. I'm a fan
Old 06-17-2018, 02:22 AM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
Just a different perspective ...

I was taught to drive by my elders (and that was 50 some years ago). I was told to never wrap my thumbs around the wheel because if you hit a rut the wheel will spin and break them.

I've seen the wheel spin in a blur while driving off road as well as driving farm and heavy equipment. So I know my elders were correct.

I'll admit it doesn't apply to modern cars so much, but I've gotten home with both thumbs multiple times because of what I was taught. So I drive this way.

I also, from years of motorcycles, drive with a light touch (I've got strong arms but long days riding in the dirt don't favor a tight grip).

When you combine those, the buttons work flawlessly.

I also find the buttons require less fuss to reach which is nice. There's a lot less disruption in my grip. FWIW, I was driving a friend's GTS a week or so ago and when I reached to upshift found myself washing the windshield. Never had this problem pulling back on the buttons.

So I prefer the buttons to the paddles on my wife's AMG (yes, I've experienced both). But that's me. No need for anyone to take this personally.

It was bold of Porsche to go a different path. It's nice to have choices.
Just have to concur 100% with this post. We have choices and pick the one that fits for you.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:14 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Personal preferences. I don't like the buttons and don't really care for the paddles either but take them over the buttons. My gripe with the paddles is that the throw is too long. Didn't realize this until I had a Benz rental with paddles a while back. Much shorter and crisper. Porsche can really take a lesson from Benz on this imo. So I use the gear lever all the time instead of the paddles on the GTS. Brings it back closer to the manual feel, especially in sport plus mode which is where I spend almost all of of my time. Right hand where it always used to be, insanely quick shifts and loving it. For those who absolutely have to press that 3rd pedal and move the gear lever in the H pattern to be happy then it still won't do. I understand.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:45 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

Porsche has shortened the throw on the paddles starting with the 991.2 cars.

I prefer paddles over buttons, but it’s probably because I’m used to that configuration. I rented a 991.2 in Germany with buttons and I occasionally downshifted when I was trying to upshift.
Old 06-17-2018, 01:06 PM
quazimoto
Track Day

I purchased a '10 C4S PDK with buttons. Tried to get used to them for about a month, no go. Bought a paddle wheel from Sunset Porsche, best 1k I ever spent. Still have the button wheel as a spare.
J
Old 06-17-2018, 02:24 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I use the shift lever. It feels more natural. I just wish it was reversed. But, mostly I let the PDK do the shifting because it gets much better gas mileage and the roads are all congested.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:57 PM
My993C2
Three Wheelin'

I am toying with the idea of buying a used 2010 997.2 3.8L C2S that is equipped with the PDK transmission. But the car has the steering wheel with the buttons and during the test drive I absolutely hated it. I even told the salesman at the dealership there was no way in hell I would ever buy the car with that steering wheel. I told him if he knew of another 997.2 3.8L C2S but with the 6-speed manual that I would absolutely be interested if it was a good car competitively priced. Problem is, is that appears that most 6-speed manual 997.2 3.8L C2S owners are holding on to their cars. I don't think there is a single one for sale in Canada. None at all. Now there are a few in the US, their numbers are pretty low as well and they are priced higher than the PDK cars. Plus I am not really in the "let's go through the trouble of importing a car" mode at this time. But the dealer wants this sale, so he has agreed to throw in the paddle shifters if I buy his car. It will take a couple of months for them to arrive since he said they are on back order. But I can wait. The race track I want to drive the 2010 997.2 3.8L C2S car on is not scheduled to open until next summer.

My dream car is still some sort of GT3, but I can't afford a GT3 right now. I am still dreaming. But a 997.2 3.8L C2S is the next best thing and I am just waiting to see if the planets align pending a scheduled inspection on my 993 before I can pull the trigger on this 997. I am going to miss my 993C2. She has been an absolutely awesome engaging car to drive. But when I did have access to a local race track back in 2009 through 2011, I did lust for more power and the 997.2 3.8L car will be a nice performance improvement plus driving a paddle shifter car on a race track will be dope. Will it happen? Only time will tell. I am still waiting for all my ducks to lined up.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:47 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wjk_glynn

Interesting approach. With the passage of time, did you keep and still like that setup?

Karl.
Yes, I did. Worked great. Car is now with a new owner out on the left coast.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:42 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
I am toying with the idea of buying a used 2010 997.2 3.8L C2S that is equipped with the PDK transmission. But the car has the steering wheel with the buttons and during the test drive I absolutely hated it. I even told the salesman at the dealership there was no way in hell I would ever buy the car with that steering wheel. I told him if he knew of another 997.2 3.8L C2S but with the 6-speed manual that I would absolutely be interested if it was a good car competitively priced. Problem is, is that appears that most 6-speed manual 997.2 3.8L C2S owners are holding on to their cars. I don't think there is a single one for sale in Canada. None at all. Now there are a few in the US, their numbers are pretty low as well and they are priced higher than the PDK cars. Plus I am not really in the "let's go through the trouble of importing a car" mode at this time. But the dealer wants this sale, so he has agreed to throw in the paddle shifters if I buy his car. It will take a couple of months for them to arrive since he said they are on back order. But I can wait. The race track I want to drive the 2010 997.2 3.8L C2S car on is not scheduled to open until next summer.

My dream car is still some sort of GT3, but I can't afford a GT3 right now. I am still dreaming. But a 997.2 3.8L C2S is the next best thing and I am just waiting to see if the planets align pending a scheduled inspection on my 993 before I can pull the trigger on this 997. I am going to miss my 993C2. She has been an absolutely awesome engaging car to drive. But when I did have access to a local race track back in 2009 through 2011, I did lust for more power and the 997.2 3.8L car will be a nice performance improvement plus driving a paddle shifter car on a race track will be dope. Will it happen? Only time will tell. I am still waiting for all my ducks to lined up.
A couple of months? Check with these guys first. They do mostly core exchanges but I've heard they sometimes have wheels to sell without an exchange. And if it's not built yet you can customize too:

http://www.dctms.com/product_ST_PCH_997_2.html

http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/sw1.htm

Quick Reply: Why do some PDK cars have "Paddle" shifters and some have the "Thumb" shifters?