Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche: Not made for the track

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:41 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't hear talk of 993s having problems like this. I think I'll keep my 993 as the track car and the 997 as the semi dd.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:07 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Asquared
I'm going to give you my personal opinion and it's certainly your car and you can do what you want with it, but I could never understand the allure of spending $100,000 for a car with rich racing heritage and then simply driving it to the grocery.

If you are never going to take your car to the track, buy a Miata. An affordable car with a rich racing heritage and you will have a LOT more fun on the street. As someone on here said, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than drive a fast car slow. Outside of a track environment (or the autobahn), it is impossible to to do anything but drive a Porsche anything but slow (relative to its limits).
+997. Cars are meant to be driven. And in the case of the P-car, driven hard.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:23 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 509 Posts

I own a 2006 C2S and I track it as often as I can find the time - in fact, I was just at a PCA event yesterday and today. If my engine blows, on the track or off, I'll consider it a sign that I need to upgrade to a GT3 (preferably an RS). Frankly, the odds of it happening to me before I do upgrade just because I want to are incredibly slim. And if I do end up having to eat $18k in instant depreciation from an engine failure - so be it. Hopefully none of us 997 owners would find that to be a damaging financial hit. It'll sting, for sure, but if it affects your life in a serious way, perhaps you are in the wrong car in the first place.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:01 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by RudyP
I own a 2006 C2S and I track it as often as I can find the time - in fact, I was just at a PCA event yesterday and today. If my engine blows, on the track or off, I'll consider it a sign that I need to upgrade to a GT3 (preferably an RS). Frankly, the odds of it happening to me before I do upgrade just because I want to are incredibly slim. And if I do end up having to eat $18k in instant depreciation from an engine failure - so be it. Hopefully none of us 997 owners would find that to be a damaging financial hit. It'll sting, for sure, but if it affects your life in a serious way, perhaps you are in the wrong car in the first place.
If most of the 997 owners I've ever met were like you......I'd be sure I was in the wrong car!
Old 10-02-2011, 08:06 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

None of these cars are built for the track. However 90% of them never really have any failures.

With that in mind even a Cup car has it's engine rebuilt ever 100-120hrs of use.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:17 PM
Section8
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my track car is an almost 20 year old RX7. I blew the engine up last year at VIR after 5 years of track abuse. Obviously, it's not the same monetary value as blowing up a 997 engine, but it still sucked.

That being said, I've always followed the philosophy that you shouldn't track a car that you couldn't stomach writing completely off on any given day. It's an expensive hobby, and there are risks of mechanical failure, or driver error involving damage to the car which insurance will not cover.

I'm not made of money, and until I am, I don't plan on tracking anything I'm making a payment on.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:59 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IslandS52
Can you post the production month of your car please? On driver side door sticker.
I'm also curious to know if the car in this post is an early model year 2006 or a late one...
Old 10-02-2011, 09:06 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink

Have Porsche higher-ups been questioned about this?
Reminds of the exchange b/w Tom Cruise and Jack:
"I WANT THE TRUTH!"
"YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!"
Old 10-02-2011, 09:13 PM
neun11
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may be a viable as a warning for cars with the M96 engine...

http://www.flat6innovations.com/shop...cat=399&page=1

I read in Excellece Magazine that a 997 version will be available soon.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:49 PM
ecostellodo
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

Does anyone know how that IMS failure detection system works?
Old 10-02-2011, 09:52 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
Does anyone know how that IMS failure detection system works?
The latest "excellence" mag gives a full description of how this works. In a nutshell, there are two magnets in a parallel configuration in a "plug" that gets inserted into your oil pan. The plug is of course wired up to the dash light and a buzzer and (of course) a power source. Once enough metal particles (from any source including the IMS bearing that is failing) adhere to the two magnets, the metal particles complete the circuit between the two magnets and illuminate the dash light and set off the buzzer.

If you are interested in this kit, it's worth picking up that copy of Excellence.

Last edited by Jay H; 10-02-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:07 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV44
If most of the 997 owners I've ever met were like you......I'd be sure I was in the wrong car!
Tommy,

First, you need to realize there is nothing wrong with tracking a car. The responsibilities whether it be safety, finances, or warranty are ones the driver has to be aware of and has to accept. Period. Nothing we do in life is risk-free. It is up to each individual to make those decisions. Drivers Education is a very safe and educational environment to drive your Porsche at. Not only is it fun, but it teaches you how little you really know about driving. There is a higher chance you will get in an accident on the road than it is at a PCA sanctioned driver's education day.

Second, it is obvious from your posts that the track is not for you. It is not fair to put down others who track their race-heritage vehicles because they may void their warranty. I had a 2006 Cayman S and the IMS failed as well - it was covered under CPO warranty luckily. An IMS can fail on or off the track.

Finances definitely have an influence on things. There are those who are very wealthly and can afford to replace a 100K car if they wreck it at the track. So be it - good for them. There are those who can't afford a 100K car and want to track so they have a cheaper Miata. Good for them. (not saying Miata track drivers are poor though! Great momentum car for the track). Then there are those who can afford a 100K car, but want the education and thrill the track environment provides, but are not made of money - those are most of us. We take good care of our vehicles and hopefully drive appropriately at the track. We are not sponsored, there is no money for "winning", and there is no trophy at the end of the day. Obviously, we can't always control others actions on the track, but we try and be aware of our surroundings to minimize adverse outcomes. Again, risk.

If it makes you sleep better at night, stay off the track and enjoy your vehicle on the road. Look both ways when going through an intersection...it's risky, someone may run the light.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:20 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm under the impression that these cars are made to be tracked and driven spiritedly. Am I wrong?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:26 PM
ajcjr
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jakes dad
I'm under the impression that these cars are made to be tracked and driven spiritedly. Am I wrong?

That is why i bought mine.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 AM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 265 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
Tommy,

First, you need to realize there is nothing wrong with tracking a car. The responsibilities whether it be safety, finances, or warranty are ones the driver has to be aware of and has to accept. Period. Nothing we do in life is risk-free. It is up to each individual to make those decisions. Drivers Education is a very safe and educational environment to drive your Porsche at. Not only is it fun, but it teaches you how little you really know about driving. There is a higher chance you will get in an accident on the road than it is at a PCA sanctioned driver's education day.

Second, it is obvious from your posts that the track is not for you. It is not fair to put down others who track their race-heritage vehicles because they may void their warranty. I had a 2006 Cayman S and the IMS failed as well - it was covered under CPO warranty luckily. An IMS can fail on or off the track.

Finances definitely have an influence on things. There are those who are very wealthly and can afford to replace a 100K car if they wreck it at the track. So be it - good for them. There are those who can't afford a 100K car and want to track so they have a cheaper Miata. Good for them. (not saying Miata track drivers are poor though! Great momentum car for the track). Then there are those who can afford a 100K car, but want the education and thrill the track environment provides, but are not made of money - those are most of us. We take good care of our vehicles and hopefully drive appropriately at the track. We are not sponsored, there is no money for "winning", and there is no trophy at the end of the day. Obviously, we can't always control others actions on the track, but we try and be aware of our surroundings to minimize adverse outcomes. Again, risk.

If it makes you sleep better at night, stay off the track and enjoy your vehicle on the road. Look both ways when going through an intersection...it's risky, someone may run the light.
Thank you for the lecture.....you are indeed the enlightened one.

My comment to Rudy P had nothing to do with the track. If you are too dense to have understood that and I have to explain it to you like this than I don't know what to say.

His comment was rude, eliteist and obnoxious and one I have no frame of reference for!

I couldn't care less about who wants to track their car and who doesn't and again not one of my posts here or on any other thread would indicate that I do but if I have to explain this to you.......................oh boy

But thanks again for the lecture!

Tom

Quick Reply: Porsche: Not made for the track