Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Old 01-05-2019, 10:33 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

First wash of 2019. Nice and clean.

Also, I've driven about 3k miles since the transmission was replaced in Feb of last year. I think the new box needed to be broken in for some distance, because initially it was really notchy and I was disappointed with the performance. Now, it shifts so smoothly that it is an absolute revelation to drive each and every time. Feels like a new car.

Name:  bWtMz5p.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  855.5 KB
Old 01-05-2019, 10:34 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

[quote=C4SDayton]
Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Great looking car. That wing looks slick. Not obtrusive like many. Details & additional pics.

Some may say obtrusive. It is a GT3RS carbon wing and rear deck with dual snorkels for X51 airbox. PO had installed and one reason I bought it. I likey wings. Some do not.
Like it. It's a great look...T
Old 01-06-2019, 10:32 PM
BLU997
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks for the engine mount info Rampage!
I have ordered a set of RS mounts for my 997.2.

Cheers,
C
Old 01-07-2019, 06:59 AM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Hit 21k miles taking a friend to look at a Lambo.
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2019, 01:34 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I installed my Numeric shifter and Raceseng weighted shift **** over the weekend. Numeric's manual and the DIY thread helped for sure, but it still took me a few hours (albeit under less-than-ideal lighting conditions). My biggest issue was getting the black cable's metal retaining clip back in place, since there's a pillar in the shift unit blocking access. Of course, trying to remove the cable again to install the clip outside of the unit ended up with me breaking one part of the cable's plastic clip, but a strategically placed zip tie should keep it all in place until my indy replaces both cables with Numeric's heavy duty set in the next few weeks.

My other install issue was that for some reason, despite having the cable ends inserted into the blue/black clips to exactly the same depth as they were on the stock shifter (I even had taken a reference photo), the shifter wouldn't let me go left far enough to engage reverse. I was afraid I had absentmindedly moved the cables to 4th or 6th or something when I took the original unit out, meaning the Numeric's "neutral" was actually "in gear," but for whatever reason after popping the cable ends out and back in a few times in the same positions, worried I'd never get them aligned right and actually be able to drive the car, it magically loosened up and started working properly. From what I could tell, the blue cable was refusing to move and causing the issue.

I have to admit, the OEM Turbo shifter I pulled out is basically as smooth as the Numeric, so it's hard to imagine the new shifter making a whole lot of difference. The factory shifter, even with its plastic interfacing, is already buttery smooth, at least outside the car, and it appears that any tightness/slop/etc. is coming from the cables, not the shifter itself.

My first driving impression was hard to take in, with the heavy shift **** and shortened shift length. After raising the lever to the highest position, approximating factory height, it felt much more comfortable for me. Of course, on final install I managed to cross-thread the **** onto the soft aluminum adapter, so I'm out another $80 waiting for a replacement adapter to come in.

Overall, I'm thinking the **** and cables will make a greater difference than the shifter by itself. Maybe the non-Turbo shifters are grittier or squishier, though mine had 80k miles on it so I expected it to be in worse shape.

Last edited by Skwerl; 01-09-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:43 PM
Christian Stark
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

So a few days late, but Saturday I changed the oil on my C4S purchased on 12-31-18. Then I washed, clay bar, waxed, and added back the missing emblems on the tail. I put the 4S too close to Carrera, but I am not going to let it bother me...

Up on blocks.

8 quarts!

Clean!

Emblem
Old 01-07-2019, 03:49 PM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Drove mine to work today, I still have to touch up the front license plate hole cap ... waiting for warmer weather.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:58 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerl
I installed my Numeric shifter and Raceseng weighted shift **** over the weekend. Numeric's manual and the Rennlist DIY thread helped for sure, but it still took me a few hours (albeit under less-than-ideal lighting conditions). My biggest issue was getting the black cable's metal retaining clip back in place, since there's a pillar in the shift unit blocking access. Of course, trying to remove the cable again to install the clip outside of the unit ended up with me breaking one part of the cable's plastic clip, but a strategically placed zip tie should keep it all in place until my indy replaces both cables with Numeric's heavy duty set in the next few weeks.
Had same exact issue and fixed the same way! I think the metal clips go on first when reinstalling. That’s what I did for my second one and it worked great.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:02 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by kellen

Had same exact issue and fixed the same way! I think the metal clips go on first when reinstalling. That’s what I did for my second one and it worked great.
Yep, your tip earlier is what led me to try that. It didn't really make sense to me until I was struggling with it.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:14 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,137 Likes on 3,910 Posts

Originally Posted by BLU997
Looks like the throttle plate could use some cleaning - note the grime ring around it. Put some MAF or carb & choke cleaner on a rag and wipe it down really good. Manually open the plate and clean both the edge of the plate and the throttle body opening where the plate rests when closed. You can clean the backside of the plate and into the throttle body area a little further by wrapping an old sock around a screwdriver. Once the edge of the plate and the ridge it seals against are cleaned up, the car may idle smoother and come off idle smoother too.
Old 01-08-2019, 06:42 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Combined activity

Drove BLU 340km, dropping it at dealership to put the tech machine on it to peer into its soul tomorrow morning. Borrowed a Sea Sucker bike rack from a mate. Gotta have something to do in a weird town...

33 deg C. But really, is there any better GT car?

My other “hobbies”
Old 01-09-2019, 06:18 PM
Terp20854
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Installed Porsche SSK and painted console from BumperPlugs. I haven't driven the SSK yet and the car is kind of dirty but I am thrilled with how the updated console came out. Thanks Eric!

Old 01-10-2019, 10:20 PM
PNW2015
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Finally had the Suncoast sport button installed (posted a sep thread on this) and had the driver's door latch replaced.
Old 01-10-2019, 10:24 PM
PNW2015
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

That center console looks really nice! Can I have more details on it? I've seen some on Suncoast sports and they are around $7-800 for the 997.1.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:58 AM
Terp20854
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PNW2015
That center console looks really nice! Can I have more details on it? I've seen some on Suncoast sports and they are around $7-800 for the 997.1.
Sure - the console came from BumperPlugs.com. I found them on this forum via many positive recommendations. It's a core exchange program where you order and send back your console once you receive the painted console. You'll provide Eric with photos, model info and paint code so you get the correct console in matching paint. Eric will tell you if your core is acceptable based on photos. Surface scratches are fine, no cracks or broken tabs. It costs $649 + 2 way shipping so you'll be in for $725 or so but the results are fantastic and much better than the soft touch paint on the standard console.

I received the painted console about 10 days after sending photos, etc. Swap out took about 1.5 hours going slowly and following the DIY thread here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...moval-diy.html

There is also a good DIY thread about re-spraying your own console which I considered but am really happy with what I got from BumperPlugs and am glad I spent the money.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?