What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 09:21 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dc2000
I tried Dr. Colorchip on my Meteor Grey 997.2 for the first time. Worked extremely well for small rock chips. I also used Langka to remove some old touch-up paint. Overall, Dr. Colorchip is much easier to work with, though building up layers to fill a deeper chip/scratch takes several coats.
I've used both, and found the Langka method better. Just used it two days ago on a door scratch on the BMW.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:43 PM
FlaHeel
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Filled up with gas on the way to the office.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:21 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I did my first interior detail yesterday since I purchased the 997 2 months ago. This is what I found under the drivers seat (I have no kids). I love the 997, it really has exceeded my expectations. Fake RayBans? Really?
Attached Images  
Old 09-01-2014, 03:24 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Score! I found an empty box for what appeared to be an engagement ring. Sold 911 to pay for wedding? Married wrong woman & she made him sell? Married right woman & upgraded to 918? What stories our Porkers could tell if they could speak! Happy, Labor Day, y'all.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought the car it was in as good shape as I could possibly have hoped for. Basically factory fresh. Car had minor clear coat scratches(pretty much every factory fresh car I've purchased has some) and I'm a bit fanatical about having immaculate paint. Paint is now corrected to my own idiotic standards.

It's hard to show how deep and glossy the paint looks via pictures because my photography skills are not up to par. You can kind of see via the reflections. Car has no wax as I decided to try a new sealant. I'll see what it looks like after a week and probably add a second layer of sealant and top it off with one of my favorite swissvax waxes. Car was basically stripped of wax, de-ironed, clay barred(mostly with nano skin), spot polished with a medium polish where needed. Polished again with a fine super glossy polish and topped with menzerna powerlock sealant. I decided to go for a sealant because the car is a daily driver, parks outdoors and sealants have some UV protection while waxes do not. Wheels where cleaned and sealed, all trim was cleaned up and dressed. Entire interior was also detailed.

The menzerna sealant is interesting. I'm positive the finish is not as good as my go to wax but it's so slick I can kind of see the merit. When you see a spider land on the car and go sliding off the hood that's a slick surface. I'm somewhat satisfied with the depth and gloss as truly 90% of the finished product is the pre wax prep work. Smooth is shiny. However, I know my usual waxes would add a bit extra to the finished look so I'm a bit on the fence as to what I'll do. I'll see how satisfied I am with the look of the car in a week.

First picture is when car was just finished and second picture is parked behind a butcher shop in Santa Monica after driving it 100 miles through Malibu canyons with the wife. I'm impressed how clean the car looks after 100 mile blast. This sealant is really slick dust just isn't sticking.
Attached Images   
Old 09-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default White w Sealant

I'm a BIG fan of Carnuaba but I think there is something similar to put over a Sealant, try Pinnacle Synergy.
Old 09-01-2014, 08:10 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Changed the oil for the 1st time on my 4 post lift.
No more crawling around!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:14 AM
dalancroft
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wifey got her car detailed today (Ducky's, for those in the know on the SF Bay Area Peninsula). Would post pics but our neighborhood had a block party for Labor Day and I'm kinda blasted from heat, rich food, booze, and the 20-degree hill to get there!
Old 09-02-2014, 04:36 AM
n1gels
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezkill
First picture is when car was just finished and second picture is parked behind a butcher shop in Santa Monica after driving it 100 miles through Malibu canyons with the wife. I'm impressed how clean the car looks after 100 mile blast. This sealant is really slick dust just isn't sticking.
Looking good, EzKill. Moby is getting jealous! How was the rear after the 100 mile blast? I've used a variety of waxes and sealants on Moby and I swear some of them actually create a dust attracting static charge in the surface. The rest of the car will be clear, but the rear end will be covered in dust and black soot from the exhaust.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:34 AM
Alex 911
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Drove it up to Bear Mountain Bridge Road with my two girls in the back. I think they enjoyed more tan I did

Old 09-02-2014, 10:27 AM
Ezkill
Racer

Originally Posted by n1gels
Looking good, EzKill. Moby is getting jealous! How was the rear after the 100 mile blast? I've used a variety of waxes and sealants on Moby and I swear some of them actually create a dust attracting static charge in the surface. The rest of the car will be clear, but the rear end will be covered in dust and black soot from the exhaust.
Car was squeaky clean except for some dust that had settled on the windows which I didn't put a coat of sealant on. I can't really tell if that was a freak accident or if the sealant will really help that much. It seems to be good so far and it is by far the easiest sealant I have ever put on so that's a plus.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:54 PM
n1gels
Racer

Car was squeaky clean except for some dust that had settled on the windows which I didn't put a coat of sealant on. I can't really tell if that was a freak accident or if the sealant will really help that much. It seems to be good so far and it is by far the easiest sealant I have ever put on so that's a plus.
Thats good to know. I'll have to give it a try!
Old 09-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Ezkill
Racer

Originally Posted by n1gels
Thats good to know. I'll have to give it a try!
I'll let you know if it's as good as it appears so far in another week when I do a second coat. All indications are good so far as I left the car outside last night and it typically picks up some spots of what people call "bee barf". Pencil eraser sized yellow spots of a waxy substance that bees apparently drop a lot of. It doesn't eat into the finish so it's not harmful but it looks kind of awful on a white car. Anyway, I had the easiest time removing the three spots the car picked up and there is still virtually no dust on the car.

At this point I'm leaning towards a second coat of this stuff on the weekend because it will take less then an hour to apply and remove(including 40 minute curing time). I think did the entire car in less then 5 minutes with my buffer and removed in less then 5 minutes by hand. It comes off with a no pressure swipe of a micro fibre. By far the easiest wax or sealant application I've ever done. I don't think I'll be adding a layer of one of my usual waxes on top as they have not kept the vehicle this clean so it would sort of defeat the purpose. If it lasts 4-6 months and really forms a UV barrier as well I'm duly impressed. I see no reason to doubt manufacturer claims as Menzerna produces some of the most highly touted polishes around and are known for their quality.

If you want to try it out feel free to PM me your address and I'll send you some. I have a quart sized bottle which will last years and I can send more then enough along to do a few coats on your car.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:24 PM
n1gels
Racer

I'll let you know if it's as good as it appears so far in another week when I do a second coat. All indications are good so far as I left the car outside last night and it typically picks up some spots of what people call "bee barf". Pencil eraser sized yellow spots of a waxy substance that bees apparently drop a lot of. It doesn't eat into the finish so it's not harmful but it looks kind of awful on a white car. Anyway, I had the easiest time removing the three spots the car picked up and there is still virtually no dust on the car.
Ah yes, the dreaded bee poop. I've noticed that this seems to mix with carnauba waxed surfaces and it's hard to remove without removing the wax as well. I've also seen the same effect with oil marks on the rock guards, so I only use synthetic sealant (Nanoskin) on those.

If you want to try it out feel free to PM me your address and I'll send you some. I have a quart sized bottle which will last years and I can send more then enough along to do a few coats on your car.
PM sent. Thank you for your generosity, EzKill!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:53 PM
Alex 911
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I took it up Mt Ascutney

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?