Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   997.2 emergency brake lever slack (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/655400-997-2-emergency-brake-lever-slack.html)

mambodoc 09-17-2011 03:03 PM

997.2 emergency brake lever slack

I noticed about a month ago that the emergency brake lever had a degree of travel/slack prior to hearing the ratcheting sound I'm accustomed to. The lever used to be spot-on tight...no slack. Just had the oil changed and my mechanic stated that it would auto adjust to function ( it does function well ) though if the slack is perceived to be excessive, the only adjustment requires wheel removal and subsequent cable adjustment. Anyone else? Thanks!

Edgy01 09-17-2011 10:56 PM

Adjusting them is rather simple. Take off the rear wheels and then turn a small flat head screw accessible through a sight hole in each of the rear brakes. Remember, on the 911 with 4-wheel disc brakes, there are DRUM brakes inside the rears for the parking function.

mambodoc 09-19-2011 05:37 PM

Great! Thanks Edgy.

vexed 09-20-2011 12:33 AM

I had slack in my handbrake for a while, I had the dealer adjust it at the 2 year service. Thereafter it was very tight but now has more give but is not slack as it was. By slack, when you first pulled on the lever nothing was moving on the other end. Next time I will adjust it myself.

mambodoc 09-20-2011 04:26 PM

I'm dealer bound for a few warranty issues...I'll have them do it. Thanks! And yes...that is what I mean by slack...or rather, too much play.

Shred 03-30-2017 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by mambodoc (Post 8883109)
I'm dealer bound for a few warranty issues...I'll have them do it. Thanks! And yes...that is what I mean by slack...or rather, too much play.

I have the same parking brake slack which is not the same as adjusting the brake drum by removing the wheels etc.
I have done that but the parking / hand brake still has a slack on the cable before it would start to engage the hand brake mechanism.

Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks

semicycler 03-30-2017 10:49 AM

The cable itself is self adjusting. You need to adjust the parking brake shoes. I just posted to this thread about it: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...djustment.html

If you still have problems you could try removing the center console to see the parking brake connections. But it's unlikely the issue.

edit: just remembered I have my center console out. Here's a picture of the handbrake cables. Notice there are no threaded connections.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...ad7e6582f3.jpg

Shred 03-30-2017 11:59 AM

Thanks for the reply. It's not the parking brake shoe as I have already adjusted that.

It seems the self adjusting mechanism for the cable isn't working?
I might have to remove the center console to check it, like in the 996/986?

Iceter 03-30-2017 01:26 PM

Edgy and Semicycler, am I correct in assuming that the brake shoes can be overadjusted by turning this screw and so one needs to turn in small increments and test the handle until the desired tension is reached?

I read Semicycler's post about the number of teeth and brake drag, but is there a set process for the actual turning of the adjustment screw? Also, which direction to you turn the screw and are the screws on each side right hand thread or are they right and left, depending on the side like traditional drum brake self-adjusters?

semicycler 03-30-2017 05:57 PM

I think you missed the link to the workshop manual in the other thread. Reposting it here for reference: http://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/...n/adjustments/

Shred 03-30-2017 07:02 PM

Hi Semicycler,
Thanks for your input.
I have read the 997 workshop manual. Adjusting the parking brake shoe/hand brake etc, it's all the same. Sorry for my language (UK) confusion.
I am familiar with the process and have done it a Boxster 986, 997.2 and Cayman 987. Removed the wheels, use the screw driver etc to correct the parking brake to engage fully after 3-4 clicks. No problem with that.

I have done all that, however there is still a big 'slack' on the parking brake. I have to pull up quite a bit before it would hit the first 'click'. It 'feels' like my parking brake's auto cable adjustment isn't working? I have adjusted the cable before on the 986 by removing the center console.
I understand all 997s meant to self adjust, so can the device have become faulty?

Any other ideas is deeply appreciated :)

Iceter 03-30-2017 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by semicycler (Post 14074139)
I think you missed the link to the workshop manual in the other thread. Reposting it here for reference: http://workshop-manuals.com/porsche/...n/adjustments/

I did miss that, thank you.

It doesn't say which direction to turn the adjuster to tighten but I will assume that it will become evident if I'm turning it the wrong way.

I think I'll be doing this adjustment this weekend. Thanks again!

semicycler 03-30-2017 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Shred (Post 14074324)
I have done all that, however there is still a big 'slack' on the parking brake. I have to pull up quite a bit before it would hit the first 'click'. It 'feels' like my parking brake's auto cable adjustment isn't working? I have adjusted the cable before on the 986 by removing the center console.
I understand all 997s meant to self adjust, so can the device have become faulty?

Sounds like something is not working properly then. Pull the center console and inspect the handbrake mechanism. Perhaps one of the cables is disconnected from the adjuster. That would add a lot of slack and only engage the brake on one side.

It's not too difficult to remove the center console. There are plenty of good threads here showing the details. Just don't insert the key into the ignition with the center console airbag light disconnected, otherwise you will get an airbag light on the dash that can only be cleared by Durametric or a dealer trip.

Ruben C 03-02-2023 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by mambodoc (Post 8876226)
I noticed about a month ago that the emergency brake lever had a degree of travel/slack prior to hearing the ratcheting sound I'm accustomed to. The lever used to be spot-on tight...no slack. Just had the oil changed and my mechanic stated that it would auto adjust to function ( it does function well ) though if the slack is perceived to be excessive, the only adjustment requires wheel removal and subsequent cable adjustment. Anyone else? Thanks!

Hi Mambodoc, how did you solve the problem?
i have the same issue

thanks

Friddan 03-03-2023 04:54 AM

Hi Mambodoc, also I am curious on how this was resolved? I also have same issue, I think.

Made a quick video on my e-brake travel/slack/free-play and how the lever/handle is now not very "tight", feels "sloppy":

Thanks,
Daniel