Sponsored by:

FVD 996 Turbo SSK Install in a 997.2S

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts
Default FVD 996 Turbo SSK Install in a 997.2S

I picked up an FVD SSK with console which had been installed in a 996 turbo for my 09 CS. It appears that Porsche shows the same part number for the SSK so I didn't see an issue. During the install I found that not to be true.

Noted Issues:

1. The tool for alignment for the 997 does not fit the FVD short shift. It isn't even close.

2. Looking on FVD's site, should have gone there first, it is obvious that the one for the 996 turbo is different. The turbo piece shows a a straight shaft both above and below the joint. The 997 version has a bend in the part that connects to the bottom point of the rod, ball cup, and the top has the shift shaft bent to the right as does the factory unit.

3. The lock mechanism on the 997 shift ball does not want to lock onto the FVD shaft.

4. The two plastic fore and aft bushings have about 0.040" of play on movement front to rear, 1-2 shift.

All that said the service technician installing it at Porsche of the Village successfully installed it. He called me back in the middle of the install and pointed out the issues before he proceeded. He fabricated a shim to take out the play, adjusted the cables for gear engagement and somehow got the shifter handle locked on.

It works great. I wonder how it would feel if I used the actual FVD part for the 997 or just picked up a factory unit?

Anyone have any experience with the FVD units? Thoughts on this install?

Quick Reply: FVD 996 Turbo SSK Install in a 997.2S