Sponsored by:

Mystery noise-solved

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 07:36 PM
dbv11
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery noise-solved

Most of us have probably had a mysterious vibration /rattle, etc. Mine sounded like a tinny vibration up near the dash or center console. I couldn't find the source (or could the dealer) and it always bugged the crap out of me on the aggregate roads. Had to turn up the music to cover it. Now the embarrassing part....as I'm cleaning the car last week, I bump the rear license plate with my knee and it produces a very familiar rattle. Yes...the license plate frame was not fully tightened at the lower two screws. Cranked down all four and silence. Perfect example of how these weird little sounds can travel and be very misleading. Actually, I'm just an idiot for not figuring it out sooner.
Old 08-27-2011, 09:15 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by dbv11
Most of us have probably had a mysterious vibration /rattle, etc. Mine sounded like a tinny vibration up near the dash or center console. I couldn't find the source (or could the dealer) and it always bugged the crap out of me on the aggregate roads. Had to turn up the music to cover it. Now the embarrassing part....as I'm cleaning the car last week, I bump the rear license plate with my knee and it produces a very familiar rattle. Yes...the license plate frame was not fully tightened at the lower two screws. Cranked down all four and silence. Perfect example of how these weird little sounds can travel and be very misleading. Actually, I'm just an idiot for not figuring it out sooner.
Yep. Been there. Had a wacky rattle that was driving me nuts. I'm thinking suspension, exhaust etc... Took it to a local guy who goes right to the space under the passenger seat and pulls out a couple of golf *****. Whoa. Stop the music! When you hear hoof beats...

Quick Reply: Mystery noise-solved