Mesh Grills for GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 01:35 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Mesh Grills for GTS?

I recently took delivery of a 2012 GTS. At a track event today I was surprised to notice that my GTS has NO protection for the center mounted radiator and little protection for the side radiators. Is this the case on all GTS? The GT3s that I checked all had some mesh grills for protection. Any suggestions for a solution? I feel like I'm playing a contact sport without a "cup"!
Old 08-23-2011, 02:11 AM
DMoore
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you find anything suitable, PLEASE POST a followup. I've had my GTS for 6 months already and the problem is noticeable.

DMoore
'11 GTS
'10 Panamera 4S
Old 08-23-2011, 06:40 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

They are not that hard to make. I have made the grills for both my Cayman and my 997. I get the material from Home Depot, it is metal mesh that is used for gutter leaf protection. Tin snips to cut to shape (do make a pattern out of poster board first) and zip ties to hold it in. I paint them black Reason for zip ties is so I can remove them periodically to clean the small debris out of the radiators. Takes about an hour or two to make a set at most and less than $7 in material.

How do they work? I took a direct bird strike at speed and the grill protected the radiator as designed. Yes Porsche should have provided them but they are so easy to make and will save expensive radiators.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:56 AM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

I haven't had my car on the track, but it's vacuuming up lots of stuff from the backroads (and freeways). I'd love some mesh grille inserts (ala the GT cars).

The Home Depot/zip ties route? How about some pictures of how that looks? Did you have to pull the front bumper cover to hook 'em up?
Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

I'm getting ready to install mesh on my GTS but I could figure out the zip tie route....anyone?

I'm going to remove the front bumper and epoxy glue them into place.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:02 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts
Default Cargraphic mesh...

Check out Cargraphic for 997 mesh precut in black or silver.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:30 AM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just spoke with Rennline.com and they have a set for the GTS under development and ready for sale very soon. Check their website and YouTube video for the design and install on a GT3. I'll report back when they let me know they're ready to ship. I just don't have the patience for the DYI solution from Home Depot. I'm getting to be a grumpy old man in my retirement.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 158 Posts

Rennline.com has had the GTS Grille Mesh Inserts "under development" for quite a while, now. Wonder what the hang-up is.
Maybe the relatively low number of GTS cars that might want such a product is keeping the project on the back-burner?
I'm interested in a set, if they'd just get to it.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:00 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Leader
I haven't had my car on the track, but it's vacuuming up lots of stuff from the backroads (and freeways). I'd love some mesh grille inserts (ala the GT cars).

The Home Depot/zip ties route? How about some pictures of how that looks? Did you have to pull the front bumper cover to hook 'em up?
The outside ones are installed with zip ties inside the grills. Easy to do as on the '09 you can slide them through the center. For the center opening I mounted small homemade "L" brackets so I could screw the center one in thus making it easy to remove and be able to clean small debris

Sorry this is the only picture I had and no, you do not have to pull the front bumper cover on either the C2S or the Cayman
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Rev. 1" of my custom grill install

I went the DIY path on this as it was a VERY easy job. However...I did end up re-doing the install this past weekend for two primary reasons:

1) The mesh I originally used (bought off ebay for ~$20.00, painted black) had a diamond pattern that was too small and caused too much of air flow reduction.

2) After cutting mine out (Tip: Always cut your pattern larger to start, then trim down as you "shape" onto inside), I used a plastic epoxy to adhere mesh to inside bumper surround. After a few months the epoxy came loose. (and yes I did rough inside plastic surface I applied epoxy to prior.)

Here are Pics from my "Rev. 1" of my custom grill install.
Attached Images   
Old 08-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "Rev. 2" of my custom grill install

So as I mentioned, this weekend I redid the custom grills. This time I order a sheet of mesh from Custom Car Grills, in the "small Diamond pattern".
Grill Size & Color : 12in. x 48in. - BLACK Gloss Powder Coated * I highly recommend and finish is amazing. ( http://www.customcargrills.com/prodd...=Diamond_Small )

I probably could have gone with the next sheet size down but I wanted to have some left over in case I go the wild hair to add a center rad later down the road, I would need to cover it as well.

The airflow is perfect with the new mesh. I did comparison of old mesh with new by hold in front of high speed shop fan and the new mesh was hardly noticeable (and I'm picky). The old mesh cut air flow by 50%, not good!!

As for mounting the new grills, this time I used small black cable ties and drill the smallest hole possible to accommodate the zip-tie on the inside lip. (part that slides inside of air dam shroud.) I put three along the top and three along the bottom.

In the end I am VERY happy with the revised install and here are some pics of the "Rev. 2" install. I wanted to share my "lessons learned" from Rev. 1 so other could avoid the pitfalls and potentially do more harm than good by going with mesh that restricts air flow!

Cheers,
David
Attached Images    
Old 08-24-2011, 06:41 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Musclehedz101
So as I mentioned, this weekend I redid the custom grills. This time I order a sheet of mesh from Custom Car Grills, in the "small Diamond pattern".
Grill Size & Color : 12in. x 48in. - BLACK Gloss Powder Coated * I highly recommend and finish is amazing. ( http://www.customcargrills.com/prodd...=Diamond_Small )

I probably could have gone with the next sheet size down but I wanted to have some left over in case I go the wild hair to add a center rad later down the road, I would need to cover it as well.

The airflow is perfect with the new mesh. I did comparison of old mesh with new by hold in front of high speed shop fan and the new mesh was hardly noticeable (and I'm picky). The old mesh cut air flow by 50%, not good!!

As for mounting the new grills, this time I used small black cable ties and drill the smallest hole possible to accommodate the zip-tie on the inside lip. (part that slides inside of air dam shroud.) I put three along the top and three along the bottom.

In the end I am VERY happy with the revised install and here are some pics of the "Rev. 2" install. I wanted to share my "lessons learned" from Rev. 1 so other could avoid the pitfalls and potentially do more harm than good by going with mesh that restricts air flow!

Cheers,
David
Very nice. Good job!
Old 08-24-2011, 06:42 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
I recently took delivery of a 2012 GTS. At a track event today I was surprised to notice that my GTS has NO protection for the center mounted radiator and little protection for the side radiators. Is this the case on all GTS? The GT3s that I checked all had some mesh grills for protection. Any suggestions for a solution? I feel like I'm playing a contact sport without a "cup"!
You have a center radiator on your GTS?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KBS911
You have a center radiator on your GTS?
Yes. I suspect that at 408hp the car needs three radiators much the same as a similarly rated GT3. The center is a wide open mouth to the center radiator. My dealer tried to tell me it was because it's a PDK, but I'm not buying that story. Tomorrow, I'll check the parts book to see if there is any differences with a PDK. I suspect the trans cooler is located with one of the side radiators.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:30 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would really like to do this, but I am not too excited about having to remove the front bumper to do it right.

Quick Reply: Mesh Grills for GTS?