Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 fuel pump - replacement action ongoing.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 07:35 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

This is why I try to have some sort of relationship with the local P dealer so that they record mileage, service work etc. Now whether that helps in this situation, only time will tell.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:39 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

You may want to inquire replacement under the emissions warranty....if its still in effect.....I don't know how long that runs for.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:52 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

I'll try all angles ....a' ha

The pump was noisy for a day or so but now its not. Failing ? I don't know. When I'll have to pull over to the side of the road, then there's a problem.........

Pump still works fine ( for now..lol ), but getting it checked out tomorrow during service.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:35 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

It seems that at the dealership they could not replicate the sound that was concerning me. My thoughts it could be either pump sounding off ? as I don't know the exact location of where they are installed on the car.
Old 04-25-2019, 03:53 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

The hpfp is located bottom left rear of engine. When mine was failing I relieved a reduced engine power warning. I got it once....then it was fine for about a week or two then it came again and stayed. Someone on here replaced their own ...Chicago speed or something....looks like you might be able to get one for 500 on eBay ........I was quoted 1700 about 2 years ago , but warranty covered it.....yay
Old 04-25-2019, 04:13 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
It seems that at the dealership they could not replicate the sound that was concerning me. My thoughts it could be either pump sounding off ? as I don't know the exact location of where they are installed on the car.
When the hpfp is going, there will be no doubt. The engine will be fuel starved, won't exceed abt 25 mph, shudder on startup.
You will have no choice but to flat bed it in. If you are not part of the vin #'s sequence arbitrarily put out by PCNA a few years ago
you will have to fork over abt $2.2k. The list was tabulated by vin # not by year so if you are out of warranty and ouside of the
numbers, you are SOTL as was I...Advice is ask for good will gesture from PCNA. Dealership will not offer it.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:35 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Thanks for the info guys.

My noise is right in front, seems like front of the dash board, wipers area. Could this be the regular fuel pump that supplies the HPFP ?
Old 04-26-2019, 08:39 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Talking

Originally Posted by docdrs
The hpfp is located bottom left rear of engine. When mine was failing I relieved a reduced engine power warning. I got it once....then it was fine for about a week or two then it came again and stayed. Someone on here replaced their own ...Chicago speed or something....looks like you might be able to get one for 500 on eBay ........I was quoted 1700 about 2 years ago , but warranty covered it.....yay

My history shows that the HPFP was replaced under warranty in 2011. Stating that the location of the HPFP pump is in the rear of the car, it could well be the regular fuel pump that is noisy ............or having a bad day as I've not heard it since..
Old 03-11-2020, 03:31 AM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Has anyone had this happen on a 2011? I just had this issue crop up over the weekend on my C2S and the diagnosis from the dealer was that the HPFP was failing. Estimate is $1475 parts, $1134 labor. Obviously, I knew something was wrong but I was caught a bit off-guard by this as I hadn’t recalled seeing or hearing anything about fuel pump failures. After searching, I see there was a recall on some 2009 and 2010 997.2s but I’m still not seeing other reports on 2011s. I trust my dealer so am really just trying to gauge if I got unlucky or if this is somewhat normal.

Old 03-11-2020, 07:54 AM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Omnigeek
Has anyone had this happen on a 2011? I just had this issue crop up over the weekend on my C2S and the diagnosis from the dealer was that the HPFP was failing. Estimate is $1475 parts, $1134 labor. Obviously, I knew something was wrong but I was caught a bit off-guard by this as I hadn’t recalled seeing or hearing anything about fuel pump failures. After searching, I see there was a recall on some 2009 and 2010 997.2s but I’m still not seeing other reports on 2011s. I trust my dealer so am really just trying to gauge if I got unlucky or if this is somewhat normal.

Happened to me about 6 months ago on my 2011 C2S. Replaced the high pressure fuel pump and while in there replaced the water pump and thermostat. As well as a new belt. My car had 40K miles on it when it failed. Started with a very hard start and a lot of cranking with misfires. Eventually was able to start it and drive slowly to my independent porsche service group nearby. He said I was lucky, they could not start it again and pushed it into the bay.

By the way, I have a local Indy that specializes in our cars, and not inexpensive, but does come in a bit lower than a dealer's hourly labor and pricing on parts. NYC area labor rates are not low overall. Here's the bill outlining the repair services performed before taxes. Some folks try to have Porsche pickup the cost based on my reads of it being a know problem, but did not see any formal advisory or recalls on 2011 997.2's.

Labor = $856.75
Part = $1,818.04
Labor at $149 per hour

PARTS:
OEM High Pressure Fuel Pump
OEM Thermostat
OEM Water Pump
Antifreeze and distilled water
New drive belt
Associated seals and clamps

Repair HPFP failure. While in the area preventive maintenance and replaced water pump and belt

Scan Codes: errors recorded
P1023
P12A1
P1026

Last edited by 2011-sy-carreras; 03-11-2020 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:35 AM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a follow-up and a thanks to the Rennlist crowd. I dropped my 2011 C2S off with the dealer after work on March 9 and got it back yesterday (March 20). They diagnosed it on March 10 and I think I gave them the go ahead to fix it on March 12 but I mentioned the suggested replacement of the water pump and serpentine belt to the service manager as well as inquired about "good will" help with the fuel pump replacement. The service manager appreciated the memory jogger as he said he usually recommends replacing the water pump as a maintenance item in the 60-80,000 mile range.

The initial estimate for the fuel pump work was $2609 and the additional water pump and serpentine replacement were going to bring to total up to around $4000 but he said some of the labor would drop off because it duplicated what they had to do for the fuel pump. At the end, PCNA and the dealership worked together to cover the HPFP so all it cost me were parts (no labor!) for the water pump, thermostat, and serpentine -- things I would have had to do in the next year or two anyway.

Never had service like this on my Ford or Chrysler and I can't say enough good things about my dealership. Final bonus -- we had snow hit the day after I dropped the car off at the dealership so having the Macan loaner for the past week and a half was fantastic.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:00 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 903 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Omnigeek
Just a follow-up and a thanks to the Rennlist crowd. I dropped my 2011 C2S off with the dealer after work on March 9 and got it back yesterday (March 20). They diagnosed it on March 10 and I think I gave them the go ahead to fix it on March 12 but I mentioned the suggested replacement of the water pump and serpentine belt to the service manager as well as inquired about "good will" help with the fuel pump replacement. The service manager appreciated the memory jogger as he said he usually recommends replacing the water pump as a maintenance item in the 60-80,000 mile range.

The initial estimate for the fuel pump work was $2609 and the additional water pump and serpentine replacement were going to bring to total up to around $4000 but he said some of the labor would drop off because it duplicated what they had to do for the fuel pump. At the end, PCNA and the dealership worked together to cover the HPFP so all it cost me were parts (no labor!) for the water pump, thermostat, and serpentine -- things I would have had to do in the next year or two anyway.

Never had service like this on my Ford or Chrysler and I can't say enough good things about my dealership. Final bonus -- we had snow hit the day after I dropped the car off at the dealership so having the Macan loaner for the past week and a half was fantastic.
This is why I don't use Indies and I typically use dealerships except for stuff like oil changes. This was exactly my experience with a HPFP on my wife's 2010 2 years ago.

I have also found throughout the years that Indies are never quit as knowledgeable as dealerships, don't have the resources dealerships have for addressing unusual issues and Indies may be prone to not standing behind their work as easily when they screw something up.

Something about Penny wise, pound foolish.

Quick Reply: 997.2 fuel pump - replacement action ongoing.