Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the battery vent really necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 07:08 PM
fastsvo
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the battery vent really necessary?

My Wal Mart battery (group 49) just died and it had leaked battery acid through the vent hose and around the battery itself.

So the fun now begins trying to find a replacement battery. Walmart no longer carries the group size 49 and my local store was out of stock on the 94R version.

Now, every other "94R" battery I have found does not feature a vented cap system. Should I really be concerned about retaining this feature?

Is there a red Optima unit now that will fit the stock tray?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 06-26-2011, 07:30 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

absolutely yes, get a vented battery.

i wouldn't get an optima.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by fastsvo
My Wal Mart battery (group 49) just died and it had leaked battery acid through the vent hose and around the battery itself.

So the fun now begins trying to find a replacement battery. Walmart no longer carries the group size 49 and my local store was out of stock on the 94R version.

Now, every other "94R" battery I have found does not feature a vented cap system. Should I really be concerned about retaining this feature?

Thanks,
Eric
The vent is essential. Was the vent not set correctly? It should have released acid through the pipe vent, not around it. Venting is due to overcharging.

An Optima is an excellent option. Mounting hardware sourced by Rennline.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:24 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Autozone has a battery that works fine and is vented.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:04 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fastsvo

Thanks,
Eric
Sounds supiciously like your "failed" battery was being OVER-charged, COOKED.

But, yes, a vented battery is required for a long life, yours, that is. The cabin air inlet is within inches of the battery.
Old 06-27-2011, 02:42 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

You can use the vent with the elbow into the 94R battery from Walmart. Did you keep the elbow?
In my case I used the elbow on one side and blocked the other. I used the plug in the hold battery in the 94R from Walmart
Old 06-27-2011, 06:04 PM
fastsvo
Intermediate

I couldn't see how I could have incorrectly connected the rubber hose to the vent opening coming off the battery cap.

Yes, there was some acid inside the line and on the tray as well. I took everything out and cleaned it up using backing soda. My tray was also sanded, primed, and painted in the affected areas.

The car doesn't get driven much and I have no idea why it would be overcharging itself.

Just a note, I was unable to power up the car through the power stud inside the fuse box in order to open the trunk. I ended up using the cigarette lighter method.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:03 PM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

AFIK the vent tube is for taking potentially explosive hydrogen gas by product outside the frunk.
If there has been acid venting, as has been suggested it can be due to overcharging or a short inside the battery (most likely if the battery has had deep cycle discharges due to age etc)
Likely the Optima does not need a vent because it uses a dry gel electrolyte instead of sulphuric acid.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:08 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick get baking soda and clean the acid mess around all areas. Leave the baking soda a couple of days and wash thoroughly.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:05 AM
rebattery
Advanced

All lead acid batteries are "vented" including Optima, it's a matter of directing the gases outside the frunk in our case. Sealed lead acid batteries such as the Optima and gels are only vent if the inside pressure exceds the emergency pop off vents.

Last edited by rebattery; 06-28-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Fastsvo, what battery maintainer are you using, if any? Did you ever maintain the battery, and add distilled water? Possibly it was overfilled during this process. Our batteries are low maintenance....not maintenance free. Keeping the water level up to the proper level and using a battery maintainer are key to longevity.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:24 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rebattery
All lead acid batteries are "vented" including Optima, it's a matter of directing the gases outside the frunk in our case. Sealed lead acid batteries such as the Optima and gels are only vent if the inside pressure excess the emergency pop off vents.
I've used Optimas for quite some time - where is the emergency pop off vent?

Quick Reply: Is the battery vent really necessary?