Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   997.1 coolant question (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/641023-997-1-coolant-question.html)

PivotPoint 06-25-2011 05:29 PM

997.1 coolant question

Starting off on a long road trip in the am. Just got back from topping off the tank and adding a little air to the tires. Checked oil one last time, when closing lid, I noticed the coolant was maybe a 1/2 inch below minimum. Cursing to myself that I missed it. Pulled owners manual to check for approved coolant. Couldn't find so searched forum. Learned that it's a sealed system and most problems are related to the coolant cap. I'm going to order one from Suncoast and have it shipped to my destination.

Waited for motor to cool enough to safely remove cap and inspect. Slight hiss from pressure releasing and watch the coolant level rise the 1/2 inch to the minimum level bar. Cap looks fine but I have version (1) and will order version (4) from Suncoast.

Parts store closed in town. I'm thinking I should leave it alone and in a pinch I could add a little distilled water. Manual says 50/50 mix water/coolant. What coolant does everyone use? Difference between min and max bar on coolant tank appears to be roughly a quart? Something to keep an eye on and will replace cap and monitor. Am I worried about nothing with the level at minimum? I'm sure once it heats up and pressure builds it will drop a hair below minimum bar. Thanks in advance for any advice.

rumartin 06-25-2011 07:14 PM

I have a 2010 C4S 997.2 and just bought antifreeze/coolant at the dealer today. $40 per gallon! Mine was below Minimum, and I thought it was just gonna be a top-up job, but it wound up taking over a quart to get it to Minimum. The fluid receptacle is bigger than I thought. Don't know about a 997.1, but I'd say your probably OK at Minimum until you can get the right kinf of coolant to use. You can always use plain water in a pinch and fix it later. Good luck!

IslandS52 06-25-2011 08:12 PM

Distilled water, not plain water.

PivotPoint 06-26-2011 01:05 AM

Thanks guys. Checked my route and Porsche dealers sparse heading down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Roanoke Porsche looks like they closed. Asheville has a dealer, but I believe I'll be safe till dealer near Florida destination. From what I've read and searched, could be short a qt? Worse case will add a pint of distilled water. Follow up with a pint of the straight coolant when I can get it to achieve 50/50 blend. During a search, almost all issues were related to coolant caps version #1, and #2 and should be replaced with Version #4. I ordered one today for $19.85 oem from Suncoast. One of the few things you can upgrade for under a Jackson on these cars. Looks like they make it up on the coolant at $40 a gallon.

Not a big deal and would like to have some on hand, though not a lot of room in the boot. Going to stop at Fathers house in Fl. He has a new Cayenne S and knowing him he has coolant and everything else. It would be fun to top it off on him, just like the old days, many years ago.

Steen Jensen 06-26-2011 12:37 PM

You can buy the "pink" coolant from a Volkswagon dealer for about half the price. Same stuff. That's what I did when doing a coolant flush.

Musclehedz101 06-28-2011 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by Steen Jensen (Post 8666372)
You can buy the "pink" coolant from a Volkswagon dealer for about half the price. Same stuff. That's what I did when doing a coolant flush.

Is there are associated part number or name to reference product for VW parts dept?

Steen Jensen 06-28-2011 10:34 PM

volks part no. G012A8G1G

Luxter 06-29-2011 02:38 PM

Pentosin SF

PENTOFROST SF (without silicates)
(Formerly LIFETIME ANTIFREEZE G12)
Size: 1.5 liters (1.59 quarts), Part# G001200
Color: Violet/Purple

Audi (after 06/1996 up to 2005); Spec. TL 744 F
Jaguar (1997 on)
Land Rover Freelander, Discovery, Defender(1998 on)
Porsche Boxster, 911, Cayman & Cayenne (1996 on)
Saab (2001 on)
Volkswagen (after 06/1996 up to 2005); Spec. TL 744 F

vern1 06-29-2011 03:49 PM

You're obsessing....you can buy the premixed stuff at any auto store. $40/gallon is ridiculous

halsyknox 06-29-2011 04:30 PM

So what is the deal with the cap? How can it make the level low? I don't see any on my garage floor but I do see some dried around the cap edge.

PivotPoint 06-29-2011 05:17 PM

The closure cap is designed to let air into the system and not out. I suspect that the seals might start to breakdown from the coolant and temp changes. Porsche has designed a better cap to address.

Made sense to me to upgrade cap to Version 4, prior to topping off with coolant. If the coolant level drops again, then I'll have to dig deeper. From what I've read 90 % of the issues were related to the closure cap.

I also ordered a gallon of the Porsche anti-freeze from Suncoast for $26.54. Their parts department is great. Ordered the cap and coolant on Saturday night and the box was at my destination in Florida on Tuesday. They usually have what you need in stock, beat everyones pricing and get it out the door asap. They've earned my biz.