Sponsored by:

My first 911...It's first door ding

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 01:17 PM
jason74
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first 911...It's first door ding

Well, I've wanted a 911 since I was 16. Now, 21 years later, I'm driving one. I have a 80-90 mile daily commute and the old car was getting up there in miles. My wife said I could buy whatever I wanted, but I could only have 1 car. As I have a 2 year old to tote around daily, I could see no better time to do the 911. After a diligent search, I decided to go with an 07 C2 with CPO. I picked it up about 6 weeks ago and have put 3500 miles on it. All smiles. I made the right choice. I love everything about the car. I think it is the perfect choice for me. My little boy loves it too. 'Daddy...red...Porschey car...go?', 'bumpy'. He especially loves that he can put objects in the passenger side tray as he climbs into his seat, then retrieve them after the ride.

So, I knew it would happen as I drive and park next to idiots so much that I can't monitor it constantly, but there is now a door ding. I don't know when it happened. It wasn't in my own garage. It is just behind the drivers side door. The paint is intact. So, I guess I don't have to worry about where the first ding is going to be anymore! I plan to use my car utilitarian style with 2-3 track days per year, so it will get more of them. I'm fine with it because it is just a car. A very special car, but still a tool for me to do my work and get paid (so I can buy very nice cars!). I'll be grabbing a set of snow tires for the cold season in Chicago. I'll have even more smiles then, because I love snow and the challenges that come with driving in it...

Anybody else remember their first door ding?
Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM
Michael_s
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Yes, and I immediately call the PDR guy to take them out........ very ****. You seem to have a much better attitude than I do when it comes to dings.

Glad you are enjoying your new car.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:04 PM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

funny - i have gotten 3 dings (2 rear qtrs, 1 front fender) done immediately when they happened. couldnt stand to look at them. ...yet as i continue to beat the sh*t out of it on the track 20+ days a year, dont even seem to mind or notice the hundreds of front end chips and gouges. people are weird.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:59 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Yes I remember my first, and I too called the dingmaster within a few days to take care of things.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:28 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I clearly remember my first door ding like it happened yesterday - that was in my 93 RS America and I was the idiot that did it, had a half gallon glass bottle of juice from the market and the bag swung into the right side of the car just behind the passenger door.

I go for long walks all the time because I park in far corners or wherever I think I am safe.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:01 AM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I clearly remember my first door ding like it happened yesterday - that was in my 93 RS America and I was the idiot that did it, had a half gallon glass bottle of juice from the market and the bag swung into the right side of the car just behind the passenger door.

I go for long walks all the time because I park in far corners or wherever I think I am safe.
I have the same parking method. I park way out by myself but when I return there is always a old junker parked next to me. So far no dings but it's just a matter of time. Car will be repaired as soon as I see the ding. Hoping that day doesn't come for many years LOL
Old 06-17-2011, 05:18 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My first happened about a month ago (6 months into ownership). It's barely noticeable and right in the middle of my driver's stone guard. I've become a bit of a paranoid parker as well ever since my S2000 was keyed. I know it's inevitable however since the C2S is my daily driver as well.
Old 06-17-2011, 12:03 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,645 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Here's mine

- where some drunk biatch (0.23 bac) came across three lanes of traffic to run me off the road .
Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me it's out of sight, out of mind. I have a ding (well it didn't deform the metal, just scratched the paint) on the passenger side and I don't care since I never see it. On the driver's side, I am **** about every little speck of dust...

Quick Reply: My first 911...It's first door ding