Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   My first 911...It's first door ding (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/639381-my-first-911-its-first-door-ding.html)

jason74 06-16-2011 01:17 PM

My first 911...It's first door ding

Well, I've wanted a 911 since I was 16. Now, 21 years later, I'm driving one. I have a 80-90 mile daily commute and the old car was getting up there in miles. My wife said I could buy whatever I wanted, but I could only have 1 car. As I have a 2 year old to tote around daily, I could see no better time to do the 911. After a diligent search, I decided to go with an 07 C2 with CPO. I picked it up about 6 weeks ago and have put 3500 miles on it. All smiles. I made the right choice. I love everything about the car. I think it is the perfect choice for me. My little boy loves it too. 'Daddy...red...Porschey car...go?', 'bumpy'. He especially loves that he can put objects in the passenger side tray as he climbs into his seat, then retrieve them after the ride.

So, I knew it would happen as I drive and park next to idiots so much that I can't monitor it constantly, but there is now a door ding. I don't know when it happened. It wasn't in my own garage. It is just behind the drivers side door. The paint is intact. So, I guess I don't have to worry about where the first ding is going to be anymore! I plan to use my car utilitarian style with 2-3 track days per year, so it will get more of them. I'm fine with it because it is just a car. A very special car, but still a tool for me to do my work and get paid (so I can buy very nice cars!). I'll be grabbing a set of snow tires for the cold season in Chicago. I'll have even more smiles then, because I love snow and the challenges that come with driving in it...

Anybody else remember their first door ding?

Michael_s 06-16-2011 01:21 PM

Yes, and I immediately call the PDR guy to take them out........ very anal. You seem to have a much better attitude than I do when it comes to dings.

Glad you are enjoying your new car.

Spiffyjiff 06-16-2011 02:04 PM

funny - i have gotten 3 dings (2 rear qtrs, 1 front fender) done immediately when they happened. couldnt stand to look at them. ...yet as i continue to beat the sh*t out of it on the track 20+ days a year, dont even seem to mind or notice the hundreds of front end chips and gouges. people are weird. :p

JW911 06-16-2011 10:59 PM

Yes I remember my first, and I too called the dingmaster within a few days to take care of things.

jcnesq 06-16-2011 11:28 PM

I clearly remember my first door ding like it happened yesterday - that was in my 93 RS America and I was the idiot that did it, had a half gallon glass bottle of juice from the market and the bag swung into the right side of the car just behind the passenger door.

I go for long walks all the time because I park in far corners or wherever I think I am safe.

Gj325 06-17-2011 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by jcnesq (Post 8643576)
I clearly remember my first door ding like it happened yesterday - that was in my 93 RS America and I was the idiot that did it, had a half gallon glass bottle of juice from the market and the bag swung into the right side of the car just behind the passenger door.

I go for long walks all the time because I park in far corners or wherever I think I am safe.

I have the same parking method. I park way out by myself but when I return there is always a old junker parked next to me. So far no dings but it's just a matter of time. Car will be repaired as soon as I see the ding. Hoping that day doesn't come for many years LOL :)

808997 06-17-2011 05:18 AM

My first happened about a month ago (6 months into ownership). It's barely noticeable and right in the middle of my driver's stone guard. I've become a bit of a paranoid parker as well ever since my S2000 was keyed. I know it's inevitable however since the C2S is my daily driver as well.

BHMav8r 06-17-2011 12:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's mine

- where some drunk biatch (0.23 bac) came across three lanes of traffic to run me off the road .:banghead:

Kuhan 06-17-2011 01:41 PM

For me it's out of sight, out of mind. I have a ding (well it didn't deform the metal, just scratched the paint) on the passenger side and I don't care since I never see it. On the driver's side, I am anal about every little speck of dust...