Third Radiator Install - Track Temp Results

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 09:54 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by cello
Resurrecting an old thread. 997.2 S.

Can someone please explain one thing to me re the install - It appears the 3rd rad sits flush to the aluminum plate under the bumper support.

How does one get airflow thru and past the rad and where does it vent to? Since the installs in these posts do not show install of a gt3 front bumper (with the top vent), I assume the air vents to the bottom. However, the undercarriage panels are flush (ie without a gap or area for venting from the front bumper as the original design is solid - no air can pass thru - to direct airflow into the side intakes where the oem rads sit).

I searched and read the posts (and other threads in same) but there is no mention of the above...

Can someone that has actually installed the kit advise, please?

Also, can someone please provide a link to the kit or part numbers that have worked?

Thanks!!

Take a look at this DIY posting. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...il-filter.html I cut some outlets on the underside of my front fascia.

I got my kit from Suncoastparts for my 997.1 S: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product//SKU9971TRK.html. Check with them for the 997.2 kit. GL and let us know how the install goes. We could use some updates re the specifics for the 997.2 install for the group.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you look at this DIY? See Link below:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...il-filter.html

Some guys are cutting holes. I believe there is suitable flow designed into the fascia in my 2008. Earlier cars may be different. Take a look at the link as let us know if you have anymore questions.

Resurrecting an old thread. 997.2 S.

Can someone please explain one thing to me re the install - It appears the 3rd rad sits flush to the aluminum plate under the bumper support.

How does one get airflow thru and past the rad and where does it vent to? Since the installs in these posts do not show install of a gt3 front bumper (with the top vent), I assume the air vents to the bottom. However, the undercarriage panels are flush (ie without a gap or area for venting from the front bumper as the original design is solid - no air can pass thru - to direct airflow into the side intakes where the oem rads sit).

I searched and read the posts (and other threads in same) but there is no mention of the above...

Can someone that has actually installed the kit advise, please?

Also, can someone please provide a link to the kit or part numbers that have worked?

Thanks!!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

This upgrade is abvout $300 with a gallon of antifreeze and the DIY is very easy. Everyone should consider this upgrade if they plan to keep their cars for a long time.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

^ Thx for the links and info - Did see your thread, USMC_DS1; good stuff!

Do you track your cars? One concern i have is whether creating a gap as u did will work on the track.

As you know, the undercarriage airflow is designed to work as a system with the front aero (for downforce, altho we are not talking F1 here, lol) and with the small venturi tunnels that feed air to the rear brakes.

I wonder - in order of priority - (1) if at the higher speeds in track use the low pressure area under the car as a result of the aero/undercarriage, etc, wont effectively block the air flow thru/past the 3rd rad when you need it most (one reason why the gt3 has a top vent, incr downforce being another..); and (2) whether it will cause a disruption to the air flow to the rear brakes.. (downforce is not a large concern for this car and the tracks I drive).

Alan, i think, had good results on an 11 GTS for track use but I am not sure of the front bumper system on that car. Hoping he chimes in on this and/or on his friends cars (if 997.2 Ss)...
Old 12-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

I don't track my car. If you're worried about the aero then add the top vent; easy upgrade and install using a template.

http://www.rennline.com/GT3-Smile-Ve...oductinfo/E90/

http://youtu.be/ioegNjKr12k

^ Thx for the links and info - Did see your thread, USMC_DS1; good stuff!

Do you track your cars? One concern i have is whether creating a gap as u did will work on the track.

As you know, the undercarriage airflow is designed to work as a system with the front aero (for downforce, altho we are not talking F1 here, lol) and with the small venturi tunnels that feed air to the rear brakes.

I wonder - in order of priority - (1) if at the higher speeds in track use the low pressure area under the car as a result of the aero/undercarriage, etc, wont effectively block the air flow thru/past the 3rd rad when you need it most (one reason why the gt3 has a top vent, incr downforce being another..); and (2) whether it will cause a disruption to the air flow to the rear brakes.. (downforce is not a large concern for this car and the tracks I drive).

Alan, i think, had good results on an 11 GTS but I am not sure of the front bumper system on that car. Hoping he chimes in on this and/or on his friends cars (if 997.2 Ss)...
Old 12-26-2012, 11:43 AM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for your help but that looks 'decorative'.

I want functional. For a true gt3 vent, you'd need the plastic cladding that directs the air in, thru the rad, and out the top, not just the "want to be a gt3" look vent thing on top of the bumper .. lol.

Better to just buy the gt3 bumper which is exactly what some have told me is necessary to do it right...

Thought I'd ask here first for real world track experience. Will ask a race shop. Thanks all!!
Old 12-26-2012, 01:50 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

I want functional. For a true gt3 vent, you'd need the plastic cladding that directs the air in, thru the rad, and out the top, not just the "want to be a gt3" look vent thing on top of the bumper .. lol.

Better to just buy the gt3 bumper which is exactly what some have told me is necessary to do it right...

Thought I'd ask here first for real world track experience. Will ask a race shop. Thanks all!!
Good idea. I don't track and the fastest I've driven my car is ~114 mph with zero noticeable ill affect. I would imagine that if you're driving faster than these type of speeds on a track then a properly configured GT3 front and back end may be in order. Make sure you install both front and back to keep it properly configured/balanced. As an FYI... I have noticed other RL members who track and installed the 3rd rad as well so perhaps they could enlighten us.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:47 PM
Spokane5150
Banned

Perhaps you should sell you C2S and buy a GT3 since you want "Real World" performance. It's difficult to have it ALL' and by the time you upgrade your to GT3 gear you'll be into it for way over $15k.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:41 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Good idea. I don't track and the fastest I've driven my car is ~114 mph with zero noticeable ill affect. I would imagine that if you're driving faster than these type of speeds on a track then a properly configured GT3 front and back end may be in order. Make sure you install both front and back to keep it properly configured/balanced. As an FYI... I have noticed other RL members who track and installed the 3rd rad as well so perhaps they could enlighten us.
Yes thats what I am hoping for.

You are right tho the gt3 aero front and rear works together - would not do one without the other. But thats not what I am looking for. Really, I am just looking for some real world track experience after fitting a 3rd rad without top venting. If anyone has tried it and can shed light on my original ?s above (post#30&34), please let me know.

I am also investigating a stand alone oil cooler as opposed to a 3rd rad. Should learn more after the New Year and I will post if anything interesting develops..

Re track speeds, the S aero is fine for me. The main thing is that the extending passing in the Instructors Grp doesnt give the car the normal corner or two when u are waiting for a pass.. So the sustained rpms are higher and the temps climb.. I have had to dial back before sessions end bec/ of creeping temps so I have to do something...

Thx all!
Old 12-27-2012, 02:30 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

The car I installed the kit on was an 09 C2S. My 11 GTS PDK came with the third radiator.

The third radiator is angled down not up like a GT3. The bottom of the bumper cover on my car had the areas to cut out already outlined. The kit also comes with a template in the event you bumper cover does not have the markings.

If you take a look at the fender liners in the front of your car you will notice that all of the slits are not open. On severe weather cars those slits are open. You can spend $125 per side for severe weather liners or use a box cutter as I did and open them on your existing liners. It takes less than 10 minutes per side after the wheel is off.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:22 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Yes thats what I am hoping for.

You are right tho the gt3 aero front and rear works together - would not do one without the other. But thats not what I am looking for. Really, I am just looking for some real world track experience after fitting a 3rd rad without top venting. If anyone has tried it and can shed light on my original ?s above (post#30&34), please let me know.

I am also investigating a stand alone oil cooler as opposed to a 3rd rad. Should learn more after the New Year and I will post if anything interesting develops..

Re track speeds, the S aero is fine for me. The main thing is that the extending passing in the Instructors Grp doesnt give the car the normal corner or two when u are waiting for a pass.. So the sustained rpms are higher and the temps climb.. I have had to dial back before sessions end bec/ of creeping temps so I have to do something...

Thx all!
I don't track but I do my hill country canyon runs primarily in 2nd/3rd gear and had to dial it back due to high temps as well. Oil temps would get up to the 275deg+ range quickly during the summer. Temps now top out at ~250deg after the 3rd rad under extreme conditions and sustained hard driving. This mod should benefit your application on the track as well but let us know the results afterwards. One side affect is that it takes me a little longer to warm up my C2S to operating temp(200deg)... I basically take a longer loop (+1 mile) around the neighborhood before I jump onto the main hwy (65MPH).
Old 12-27-2012, 12:06 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

In my first post I noted that the oil temp dropped from 270F on a 62F day at Mid-Ohio to 250F on a 90F day running with the instructor group at Mid-Ohio. The previous run with 270F was also at Mid-Ohio.

The third radiator was installed on the stock 997.2 front bumper, no GT3 slot in the top. The slots were cut in the bottom of the bumper cover.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:31 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The oil temperature read outs are accurate. The coolant (water and EGW) are not.
For $99, pick up a GoPoint BT1 OBD transmitter which will send the coolant temp to your smart phone via bluetooth. Sadly, oil temp and pressure are not shown.

BTW, it'll also transmit throttle position and related info to Harry's Lap Timer for those so inclined dave
Old 12-27-2012, 05:53 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Alan C.
In my first post I noted that the oil temp dropped from 270F on a 62F day at Mid-Ohio to 250F on a 90F day running with the instructor group at Mid-Ohio. The previous run with 270F was also at Mid-Ohio.

The third radiator was installed on the stock 997.2 front bumper, no GT3 slot in the top. The slots were cut in the bottom of the bumper cover.
Alan - Thanks for this and the email. I appreciate it! Best, CJ

Quick Reply: Third Radiator Install - Track Temp Results