Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any experience with Recaro ProSport Seat for Toddlers??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 09:14 AM
boochook
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Any experience with Recaro ProSport Seat for Toddlers??

Hi RL's,

I'd like to start bringing my son with my for some events. He's 21 months old, 31 lbs and 34" at the moment. I'd like to thank LVDell for giving his input as well and experience with the Recaro ProBooster which looks to be a perfect snug fit in the rear seat without any seat modification (meaning removing the bottom cushion or backrest) which is what I prefer. So, has anyone used the Recaro ProSport? I think this is more fitting for him especially with the 5 point harness......So, anyone have experience?

http://www.recarochildseat.com/recar...-car-seat.html

I don't mind going for the Porsche OEM seat (price is not a concern for me for safety of my son), however, I hear they are extremely hard to find....

Thanks in advance!

Berk
Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 PM
boochook
Instructor

Anyone????
Old 06-08-2011, 04:13 AM
ask
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Porsche "Junior Seat" for my ~35 month old daughter; it's been great. It's a pretty tight fit, but from what I read before getting it, it's what works. It's super solid (heavy!) and "safe feeling" (more seat than head at head height). I obviously haven't done any crash tests; but I feel like she's snug and safe.

The strap mechanism also works great – no wiggle room at all. At first she wasn't a big fan, but by now she loves driving in my car. When we're not on the freeways we'll have the window down and she's having fun with her hair nearly being blown off in the back. :-)

Anyway, I recommend it.

I got mine from the dealer with the car. I have two of them actually. (I haggled them when they wouldn't negotiate the price of the car like I wanted).

I only need one though; the other one is sitting unused in our downstairs bedroom and I'm supposed to put it up for sale... :-) I'm in Los Angeles, where are you?
Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 AM
CarlJ
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the Recaro Vivo booster in mine and the specs on the website say its 16.5" wide and 13" deep and it fits very snugly in the recess and comes right to the front edge of the seat bottom. The specs on the one you show is 18" wide and 18" deep. If I was a betting man I would say it was too wide and on the verge of being too deep for his legs to clear the seat back without having it all the way up, but this is just a guess looking at the specs.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:58 AM
boochook
Instructor

Def interested. I'm in the Washington DC area, my zip is 20148. Let me know what the price is shipped. Is it Brand New and never been used???

Originally Posted by ask
I have the Porsche "Junior Seat" for my ~35 month old daughter; it's been great. It's a pretty tight fit, but from what I read before getting it, it's what works. It's super solid (heavy!) and "safe feeling" (more seat than head at head height). I obviously haven't done any crash tests; but I feel like she's snug and safe.

The strap mechanism also works great – no wiggle room at all. At first she wasn't a big fan, but by now she loves driving in my car. When we're not on the freeways we'll have the window down and she's having fun with her hair nearly being blown off in the back. :-)

Anyway, I recommend it.

I got mine from the dealer with the car. I have two of them actually. (I haggled them when they wouldn't negotiate the price of the car like I wanted).

I only need one though; the other one is sitting unused in our downstairs bedroom and I'm supposed to put it up for sale... :-) I'm in Los Angeles, where are you?
Ok great. I will check that out as well. My concern is he is only 21 months old, 31 lbs and 34" tall, so I think he is too small for a booster seat right? I would need a toddler seat with 5 point harness????

Originally Posted by CarlJ
I have the Recaro Vivo booster in mine and the specs on the website say its 16.5" wide and 13" deep and it fits very snugly in the recess and comes right to the front edge of the seat bottom. The specs on the one you show is 18" wide and 18" deep. If I was a betting man I would say it was too wide and on the verge of being too deep for his legs to clear the seat back without having it all the way up, but this is just a guess looking at the specs.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:18 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by boochook
Hi RL's,

I'd like to start bringing my son with my for some events. He's 21 months old, 31 lbs and 34" at the moment. I'd like to thank LVDell for giving his input as well and experience with the Recaro ProBooster which looks to be a perfect snug fit in the rear seat without any seat modification (meaning removing the bottom cushion or backrest) which is what I prefer. So, has anyone used the Recaro ProSport? I think this is more fitting for him especially with the 5 point harness......So, anyone have experience?

http://www.recarochildseat.com/recar...-car-seat.html

I don't mind going for the Porsche OEM seat (price is not a concern for me for safety of my son), however, I hear they are extremely hard to find....

Thanks in advance!

Berk
I have this very Recaro seat in my 997. It is a good fit, but the back is angled just a bit making it neccessary to move the passenger seat forward pretty far in order to accomodate the legs of your child. Won't be an issue at his current height, but might become an issue as he gets closed to 38-40 inches in height. I ended up removing the back seats and it gave us a bit more room. It is a great seat, but ultimately to get the most room you need one that is pretty upright. I think the Porsche OEM seat is more upright thus fitting further back into the back seat. I am on the verge of need to either go with that option, or perhaps a more upright booster. Again, for the size of your kid at this moment it will work fine. As he grows you will need to adjust, and possible get a different seat in a year or two.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:48 PM
boochook
Instructor

Thanks Blk on Blk!!!! I think I will order this one.... I stopped by the dealer today and the TODDLER Seat they had (The Junior, NOT the Junior Plus was limited to 20-40lbs and was $600 w/ tax so my thought is do I really want to throw down that much for a seat that I will need to replace within a year or just go with this recaro option. I think it is the RECARO option!!!!

QUESTION - How far forward do you need to pull up your passenger seat? My wife is not that tall (probably around 5'6") so will she still be comfortable? Also, another question, do you NOT have to remove the back seat or the bottom seat cushion? I want to avoid doing that really. Also, how did you mount the seat, just using the 3 point harness?? Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure I do my due diligence before purchasing...... I'll PM you as well.

BTW - My father is living in Houston right now on Assignment in the GALLERIA area of Houston. I'll look you up the next time I'm down visiting him.

Thanks buddy!!!
Old 06-08-2011, 09:56 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I have the Porsche Junior seat in the back. My son just turned 6. I guess he's about ready to graduate out of it but he still fits fine and the seat seems safer given the side protection for his head. Your wife should be fine in the passenger seat. Usually I just have the two kids (9 y/o daughter sits in the passenger seat) since we usually take the Cayenne S if we're all together. In a pinch I can also get a small kid behind the driver seat, but I prefer not too since I have long legs and it cramps my style a bit.

With the prior car seat a few years ago, I used the rear latch strap to the buckle under the carpet under the rear window. With the Porsche Junior seat I just use the regular 3-point harness. I *think* the instructions told me to do it that way, but not quite sure now a couple years later.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Recaro ProSport but not in the Porsche. I also have a Recaro Sigmo. Love them both as seats, although the Sigmo was easier to get the harness really snug. ProSport installs easier, has clearly labeled pathways for belts and such, and has very generous head protection.

Very good build quality in both too. You can just tell. I have a lot of nephews/nieces in the family and I'm not impressed with many others.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 PM
boochook
Instructor

Want the Porsche junior seat but the equipment brochure said it is only good up to 40lbs......is that true??

Originally Posted by jcnesq
I have the Porsche Junior seat in the back. My son just turned 6. I guess he's about ready to graduate out of it but he still fits fine and the seat seems safer given the side protection for his head. Your wife should be fine in the passenger seat. Usually I just have the two kids (9 y/o daughter sits in the passenger seat) since we usually take the Cayenne S if we're all together. In a pinch I can also get a small kid behind the driver seat, but I prefer not too since I have long legs and it cramps my style a bit.

With the prior car seat a few years ago, I used the rear latch strap to the buckle under the carpet under the rear window. With the Porsche Junior seat I just use the regular 3-point harness. I *think* the instructions told me to do it that way, but not quite sure now a couple years later.
Do you think your recaro sport will fit in the back of your 911?

Originally Posted by yemenmocha
I have the Recaro ProSport but not in the Porsche. I also have a Recaro Sigmo. Love them both as seats, although the Sigmo was easier to get the harness really snug. ProSport installs easier, has clearly labeled pathways for belts and such, and has very generous head protection.

Very good build quality in both too. You can just tell. I have a lot of nephews/nieces in the family and I'm not impressed with many others.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:37 PM
mousecrab
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found a cheap but perfect size booster seat for my 7 years old girl for $14.
It is tight and a little difficult to put the seat beat in but works fine with her small hand. (Mine would do as well but it is really tight)
The booster seat fits very well and sit on the cushion nice and firm.
Best of all only CDN$14!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Want the Porsche junior seat but the equipment brochure said it is only good up to 40lbs......is that true??

Do you think your recaro sport will fit in the back of your 911?

I assumed you already checked from manufacturer. They're pretty good about calls or the online chat from their website.

I never tried to make it fit. Just not worth it to me to have toddler messes & potential damage in my Porsche.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:20 PM
boochook
Instructor

Asked the parts guy and he wasn't sure. What confused me was suncoast has a version that goes up to 55lbs but equipment shows weigh limit is to 40 now... ?????
Old 06-10-2011, 01:09 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

I have the recaro vivo for my 5 and 6 yr olds and the recaro in your link for my 3 yr old. The vivo is a perfect fit, but lacks the harness needed for the 3rd old, that's why I had to buy the other one for him. It doesn't fit as snug as the vivo, but it still does the trick if you belt it in properly.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:02 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Asked the parts guy and he wasn't sure. What confused me was suncoast has a version that goes up to 55lbs but equipment shows weigh limit is to 40 now... ?????
My 6 y/o weighs just a tad under 50 lbs now, so my guess is that 55lbs is correct. BUT there may have been different versions of the seat so you need to double check. My seat doesn't look exactly like the Junior seat on Suncoast (colors, design), but it is about the same size. (I bought it from the dealer a little over two years ago.)

In my wife's car, he still uses the Porsche seat (might have been called Junior too, not sure) that has a full bolster in front of the tummy (except we stopped using the bolster quite a while back). I really liked this one as it is very well built and offers LOTS of protection, BUT I think its for the Cayenne and doubt it would fit in the back of a 911.

There is no reason you have to use a Porsche seat and I have used others before. The key issue is the fit in the back seat, which requires a base smaller than the base on many available seats, and the correct angle. Also, BTW, I pulled the leather seat bottom off - it is just held by velcro, so you can just grab it and pull it up.

Now I just searched, and I found pics of my two seats on the Porsche Middle East website. See below.

Edit: Looking at those pics, I don't think your kid is old enough to use the car's three point belt. At this stage, you should have the belts in the seat like the Recaro (and in that case I think you do hitch the seat to the connector under the carpet on the rear deck).
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Any experience with Recaro ProSport Seat for Toddlers??