Sponsored by:

Throw me a frikken bone here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 02:05 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Throw me a frikken bone here!

Critique my ad please. I've had this thing on the market forever. No surprises.

I know the price is probably a little higher than what US prices are but it is the cheapest 997 by $5000 on autotrader/kijiji/craigslist at the moment and it's about $12,000 cheaper than anything with a CPO!!

What am I doing wrong?

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...adian-car.html

Be brutal with me.

FYI, I'm selling the car to my dad if I can't get $45,000 for it. He knows how well cared for and maintained the car is and appreciates the value of the CPO.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Pressure selling a car never works, get rid of everything in bold and don't put any of it back.

Add more pictures showing close ups of the front bumper, rear bumper, interior, seat bolsters and other unique features. No pictures makes buyers think you're hiding something.

You also note that the car is sold stock but later on you state that it has aftermarket springs. Need to clarify this.

Good luck with the sale and either way if no one buys it at least your dad will be getting a great car!
Old 05-17-2011, 03:07 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Fair. None of the bold was there for the first three months though.

I didn't realize that the part about being stock was in there. I'll have to fix that.

I can add more pics too.

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:19 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Man, I feel for you. That's a HECK OF A DEAL! Specially in Canada.

I think you're being affected by CND$ rise, and USD crash, so ppl are looking south of the border mostly... It could also be that red cars have specific buyers and more rare.

Why selling? keep the car. You can NEVER replace it with $45K! That's like less than my dad's used Lexus!

PS. how come you got red calipers on C2?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:33 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

Is it an S or a 3.6? You state Carrera 2. That's all. It comes with Bixenon headlights--an option on the base models. Also, what is with the red calipers as asked earlier? The S comes with that.

You don't appear to know much about this car---things are not adding up.

Just list the entire options list.

Completely "stock" but then you cite some mods. Which is it? What is being left out?
Old 05-17-2011, 03:35 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by atr911
Critique my ad please. I've had this thing on the market forever. No surprises.

I know the price is probably a little higher than what US prices are but it is the cheapest 997 by $5000 on autotrader/kijiji/craigslist at the moment and it's about $12,000 cheaper than anything with a CPO!!

What am I doing wrong?

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...adian-car.html

Be brutal with me.

FYI, I'm selling the car to my dad if I can't get $45,000 for it. He knows how well cared for and maintained the car is and appreciates the value of the CPO.
it is current market as it is. if you need to sell car fast you need to drop price.
i would not like dropping asking price lower than you have it now as buyer will try to get $3-$4K off down from it and to sell this car lower than $40K is stupid.
important thing is - do not ever position you price much lower or higher than competition in your local area as it raises questions. add more ads to autotrader, add something like 'pristine condition, well cared for, priced to sell' etc.
good luck with your sale. wait and you will find right buyer, try not to lowball.

OR - just put all the stuff you had on this car back and drive damn thing.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:37 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

if the car must be gone this week, you can't be firm on the price.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:02 PM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many people see their ideal 2nd hand car as one that was driven gently, not tracked and well cared for from stock. In this regards, I don't think your avatar does you any favours! Also, the mods you have done are going to impact on perception and make people want to look away. Remember, it's perception here and not reality because the shopper cannot see your car and there are plenty out there. Put your car completely back to stock and advertise it as such and you'll probably have more bites.

Also, 50k miles is high when you look at a lot of other available cars. Here's a US example from Porsche of Charlottesville: 2006 C2, $46,990, 24k miles, 2 years CPO and it is identical to yours but black and with power seats. Given the choice, I would rather go with half the miles and +1 year CPO and given that this is the dealer asking price, I could probably get $2k knocked off without too much negotiation.

What I learn from this is that I have a 2006 C2 with 25k miles and CPO running out on Oct '12 and if I wanted to sell it now, I'd be lucky to get $45k. I'll probably sell it mid '12 and I expect I'd to get under $35k for it then given that it'll probably have 35k miles by then.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:50 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kuhan
Many people see their ideal 2nd hand car as one that was driven gently, not tracked and well cared for from stock. In this regards, I don't think your avatar does you any favours! Also, the mods you have done are going to impact on perception and make people want to look away. Remember, it's perception here and not reality because the shopper cannot see your car and there are plenty out there. Put your car completely back to stock and advertise it as such and you'll probably have more bites.

Also, 50k miles is high when you look at a lot of other available cars. Here's a US example from Porsche of Charlottesville: 2006 C2, $46,990, 24k miles, 2 years CPO and it is identical to yours but black and with power seats. Given the choice, I would rather go with half the miles and +1 year CPO and given that this is the dealer asking price, I could probably get $2k knocked off without too much negotiation.

What I learn from this is that I have a 2006 C2 with 25k miles and CPO running out on Oct '12 and if I wanted to sell it now, I'd be lucky to get $45k. I'll probably sell it mid '12 and I expect I'd to get under $35k for it then given that it'll probably have 35k miles by then.
Again, totally different market. My leasing company just offered to buy it back from me for my asking price (i'm assuming they figure it's worth more), so it's a done deal. It'll cost me a few grand to get out but c'est la vie!
Old 05-17-2011, 04:52 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GuyIncognito
if the car must be gone this week, you can't be firm on the price.
Alternatively it was being sold to my father. If i'm going to take a bath on the car, one of my relatives might as well enjoy it. Looks like car is sold anyways. I'll drop it back at the dealers this week.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:56 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Is it an S or a 3.6? You state Carrera 2. That's all. It comes with Bixenon headlights--an option on the base models. Also, what is with the red calipers as asked earlier? The S comes with that.

You don't appear to know much about this car---things are not adding up.

Just list the entire options list.

Completely "stock" but then you cite some mods. Which is it? What is being left out?
Sorry, I've just modified the ad so many times. Originally I was going to revert it completely to stock but now I would have given it away with all the mods. I'll throw in on the alignment rack tomorrow and put the OE springs back in if that's what the buyer wants. So far most people have wanted it lowered. I know this car inside and out as I've completely built and unbuilt it myself over the last two years.

A carrera 2 would be a base model. I was trying to stay away from the word 'base'. Xenon lights are not an option in Canada, they're standard. The calipers were painted professionally and rebuilt by me.

You guys sure took this critical thing to heart! It's all good, I asked for it!
Old 05-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts
Default c2

I think if the car goes to US, duty will have to be paid because it was never imported there.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:46 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

When you post stuff and then show one photo we have to read between the lines.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:09 PM
IslandS52
Rennlist Member

As someone who just bought a C2S from a Rennlister via the ad board, (and just sold an Mcoupe on bimmerforums the month prior) you have to either write a detailed tome with pictures, pictures, and more pictures, along with lots of details if you want someone you've never met to hand you $45-50K. If you are going to have a single photo and a teaser description of "beautiful condition" you need to have a phone # and be a darn good phone communicator. If someone e-mails you, you should already KNOW they are going to ask for a huge file of digital photos and you should be ready to send them...not say "oh, I don't have any, Ill snap you some phone pics"

Searching for a good 911 is a lot of work for buyers...searching ebay, autotrader, boards etc...you become quite adept at separating the good from the bad, great leads from time wasting sellers. If you are not getting calls, its not that no one is reading the ad, its that they have decided on the basis of your ad that it was not worth pursuing and communicating with you.

GLWS
Old 05-17-2011, 09:05 PM
atr911
Burning Brakes

I know guys. I'm sorry I'm a little on edge. This whole break up and buying out of assets is freaking killing me.

I don't want to sell her. I need to. The mortgage rules make it really really tough to buy a partner out and I keep running into hurdles with financing.

I'm glad the car is off the plate now but I'm still walking on egg shells hoping everything goes smoothly.

Quick Reply: Throw me a frikken bone here!