Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   Trailer Hitch (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/633433-trailer-hitch.html)

Gary Fish 05-14-2011 09:23 PM

Trailer Hitch

I am a brand new member seeking assistance with the installation a Willwood trailer hitch on my 997.1 GT3.
Specifically, I have two challanges remaining. First I need the torque specification for the bolts that fasten the rear bumper beam to the mounting brackets and the torque specification for the bolts that fasten the brackets to the chassis.
Secondly, I need any and all information available that will enable me to wire-up the trailer lights. I purchased a Trailer-wiring harness from the local U-haul store. The harness is a 4-way flat piggyback plug with 3-to-2 taillight converter. I have no clue as to where and how to splice into the tail light systems.

I will be towing a small utility trailer outfitted to carry four slicks, jack, tool box, air compressor, and generator.

Thanks in advance for all assistance.

The hitch has been successfully installed on the GT3, no issues with the tail lights and trailer lights function properly. I will have to insulate the wires to the trailer because of the center exhaust. The trailer is complete except for the choice of a utility box in which to carry tools and jack stands. Pictures coming upon completion.

krysFly 05-14-2011 09:49 PM

Trailer hitch on a gt3?????
No other way to move all that stuff?

I'd love to see a gt3 equipped with a utility trailer

Sorry for no help

Gary Fish 05-14-2011 10:01 PM

The hitch receiver is completely hidden behind the rear bumper cover when not in use. I'll post some pics when I finsih.

Betternotbigger 05-15-2011 06:23 AM

But won't this materially alter the fine balance of your car and lead to a lethal rear weight bias ;)

Seriously though.... a towbar on a GT3? Those things weigh a ton.

jmazz 05-16-2011 12:27 PM

I don't have any 911 specific information but I followed this article when I put a hitch on my Cayman.
http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/caym...den-hitch.html
It should help you a little with the wiring. I'm not sure what type of wiring kit you have but you need the isolated (self-powered) type shown in this article. Otherwise you will get brake light errors.

Kuhan 05-16-2011 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by jmazz (Post 8558211)
I don't have any 911 specific information but I followed this article when I put a hitch on my Cayman.
http://www.planet-9.com/reviews/caym...den-hitch.html

Aren't you worried about the integrity of your rear bumper with a huge 70mm hole in it?

I believe Nugget here on rennlist takes his track tyres to the track in the back of his GT3. Also, if you replace the air compressor and generator with a couple of high power cordless electric drills, you can probably change wheels almost as quickly.

choward 05-28-2011 08:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have that hitch on my 2007 C2S. The biggest issues were the fact that the holes drilled in the sturdier replacement brackets didn't line up exactly where they needed to go to mount to the car. My local shop drilled them out a little and finished the install for me.

Uhaul actually had the wiring harness in their database and installed it for $100 or so. It was apparently a pain to do it because of the undertray and took all day. Plus a replacement warranty which I used the following year when the harness burned out. You might want to try to have them do it.

I'll include some pics if I can.

I don't know how it will look with a center exhaust and the hidden hitch/ trailer attached... tape your plate down at the track. It generates a black flag flapping in the breeze.

Rent the Uhaul sport trailer for about $20 day. Holds entire set of wheels and equipment. It's enclosed and stays dry. Will tolerate triple digit speeds. Doesn't block your view. No. They won't sell you one.

I travel to tracks 400 miles away several times per year and this set-up is awesome.Attachment 540050

Attachment 540051

Attachment 540052

Attachment 540053

choward 05-28-2011 08:16 PM

Also, no brake light errors with Uhaul doing the wiring. Car drives amazingly well with a trailer. In some ways it's better on the highway with the trailer than without it. Average 80 mph on my trips, 21 mpg. I estimate it at 1200 pounds full. I know Willwood specs 750 max but I'm in my 3rd season with it and maybe 5000 miles towing.

Edgy01 05-28-2011 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kinda like this? Seen them on a few Boxsters, but am assuming a physical conflict with a GT3 since your exhaust exits from the center, like this Boxster. I would imagine the tongue and wiring may get pretty hot.

kyrocks 05-28-2011 09:25 PM

Yes, my buddies wires melted from the exhaust! (twice!)

hot nikon 05-28-2011 10:45 PM

I saw the guy with the Cayman at Planet P...

Wow. Just wow.

Vancouver-BC 05-29-2011 09:35 PM

Wow, pretty cool. You send some of your pics to the Porsche Everyday website, especially the shots at the track and the bike on back.

Minok 05-31-2011 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by choward (Post 8593606)

Rent the Uhaul sport trailer for about $20 day. Holds entire set of wheels and equipment. It's enclosed and stays dry. Will tolerate triple digit speeds. Doesn't block your view. No. They won't sell you one.

Very nice.

So who makes the trailer... you may be able to buy from the manufacturer.
Otherwise, you might 'loose one'.. ?

What trailer hitch is that and what did the hitch cost to purchase and get installed?

What bike carrier is that?

mdrobc1213 06-05-2011 06:07 PM

Guys why not buy a 2004 Cayenne base to tow BOTH car and wheels? I mean it just seems wierd to see a Carrera towing something no? LOL

Datura 06-05-2011 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213 (Post 8613751)
I mean it just seems wierd to see a Carrera towing something no? LOL

Yeah, that would be kinda like seeing Jennifer Lopez pushing her own shopping cart at Walmart.....??!! :)