Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl car wraps?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 03:09 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Also, for those interested in the 3M wraps designed for automotive use, here is the color catalog for their off-the-shelf sheets that an installer can order:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ultsPerPage=90

3M will get you a sample book if you're serious about it. The colors aren't displayed very well on their webpage, but at least you get a feel for what's on offer.

The Mini in the album had been driven year round in Utah through the salt and snow of winter. The car and wrap were four years old when the photo was taken. The wrap wasn't coming off anywhere or having any issues like that. About two or three more years and I think it would be looking tired. When installing it that time they removed a lot of small trim and things like the tail lights - I have photos somewhere. That one used the thinner printed wrap like they use for adverts, not the more durable films like the darker purple and all of the colors listed above.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:08 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ace37
I uploaded pictures of her last one and the one that's being finished right now into this album:
https://rennlist.com/g/album/4573296

The car she just sold is the lighter purple one. She digitized a Disney paint sample and had the color printed. That process uses a wrap with a thin clear top coat that is somewhat fragile. The top coat peeled on the driver door in a 1" wide by 2" tall area. The front end had no issues as we had added clear bra to cover it, but it would have been damaged by rock chips otherwise.

The new car is using a 3M Matte Purple color. The Mini dealer has told us this spec color line is much more durable, and the samples look that way. Less options but better longevity, and she likes the matte purple quite well so it worked out all around. Once we pick up the car I can post further impressions.

I don't have any images that show the waviness I described, so I'll try with words. A great wax on a nice paint job gives the car depth. The wrap has extremely shallow depth that has variability across areas. It seems like the amount of stretching required to fit the wrap may influence it as it changes the thickness and higher order optical properties of the finish.

My wife really doesn't much care about that as long as the car is fun and looks good from five or ten feet. Wraps do that for her very well. A paint aficionado would need to skip it. If it's something for a few years though, it might be fun. Also, matte colors are difficult to do with paint but easy with a wrap if that's your thing.

I have a black 911 and don't like how much maintenance it takes to keep it looking great, so I'll think about having it wrapped in a year or two when we have some more free income. Sometimes change like that keeps a car feeling fresh and new.

From the short album linked above, here's the previous Mini:

And here's the in-work Mini:
Also, for those interested in the 3M wraps designed for automotive use, here is the color catalog for their off-the-shelf sheets that an installer can order:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ultsPerPage=90

3M will get you a sample book if you're serious about it. The colors aren't displayed very well on their webpage, but at least you get a feel for what's on offer.

The Mini in the album had been driven year round in Utah through the salt and snow of winter. The car and wrap were four years old when the photo was taken. The wrap wasn't coming off anywhere or having any issues like that. About two or three more years and I think it would be looking tired. When installing it that time they removed a lot of small trim and things like the tail lights - I have photos somewhere. That one used the thinner printed wrap like they use for adverts, not the more durable films like the darker purple and all of the colors listed above.
I like that darker purple (for the wifes mini, not the 997), looking at all those color options makes me want to get the car wrapped!
Old 11-17-2015, 06:46 PM
MBMotorsports
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally never had my car wrapped but my friend Brandon at Elite Treatment in Chicago burbs has a detail shop and wraps cars in custom vinyl. His work is phenomenal, I have seen many cars done by him and they all look amazing. Check out his facebook pics and see for yourself: https://www.facebook.com/elitetreatmentinc/
Old 12-28-2015, 10:54 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

The new 4 door mini was wrapped, and I finally remembered to throw a picture of it up. These were camera phone shots again. She's really happy with it.

Old 12-29-2015, 10:51 AM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The new 4 door mini was wrapped, and I finally remembered to throw a picture of it up. These were camera phone shots again. She's really happy with it.

Looks Great!
Old 08-11-2016, 12:55 AM
RONGLOS
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

My plan is to order my next car without paint and wrap it and change it every few years. Do the initial dip for corrosion proofing. Should get a little discount on deleting the paint.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:25 AM
jenniferfarmer49
1st Gear

I have found a cool company that can do vehicle wrapping for near enough any car for a reasonable price.
Old 05-08-2017, 04:51 AM
Amiroo39
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by dw.metro
A wrap in Vancouver is now $3500 and if the doors and under the hood is done it could cost double that..so I've been told.
Hey bud, local Vancouver guy looking into buying a speed yellow C4S. While it's a very unique colour, I would definitely consider wrapping. Love the look on your car, can I ask where you got it done? Thanks
Old 05-18-2017, 10:09 PM
ProtectiveFilmSolutions
Former Vendor

Hmmm, this thread is old, but seems to have come back from the dead. We'll leave this here for some inspiration. Most wraps are done in solid colors, but some are not. Specially for events.

We did these for Gold Rush Rally 9. In fact, all these cars are running in the rally right now. As you can see, there are a number of Porsches.

Old 05-19-2017, 02:46 PM
Abe Froman
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jhonknes
I made my car wrapped to avoid the loss of paint colour and other factors.* The Car Wrapping is the best application available for the cars now a days. It is the large vinyl decal for the car. It is directly applied over the original paint of the car. This application allows us to protection for the paint, change the co lour, for using stickers and also many other new applications for our car. I am already using it. I made my car wrapped with one of the local company here. The price they charged was also affordable and they put some stickers on my car. My car is black coloured and with gold coloured stripes in it with it now. It is looking nice and by this there is* no damage exists for the original paint. I think it is not a loss expense. Could produce some attachments regarding their other applications for the cars.

vinyl wrap for cars
vehicle graphics wraps
Pics please? wanna see!
Old 12-03-2017, 09:54 PM
tgsmith4845
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 113 Posts

Had my Spec Boxster wrapped a few years ago. Still looked great after two years of hard track racing. After removing it, the paint underneath looked amazing.
Old 06-19-2020, 02:48 PM
byroncheung
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

i'm considering wrapping mine in this new warp called "inozetek", in miami blue. anyone has experience with this new wrap yet? i checked out some samples at a wrap shop it looks pretty good.
Old 01-08-2021, 01:40 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 194 Posts

Anyone still have their original wrap that was done 5+ years ago, I'm wondering how it has held up?

Quick Reply: Vinyl car wraps?????