Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sad Day, R.I.P. 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 03:18 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Amazing to me how these cars bounce all around the country while assuming everyone that touched it made a nickel or two. According to the carfax Riley sold or traded it to Smart dealer in Fl. They traded it to Porsche in Cincinnati and that Porsche dealership sells it to someone in Beverly Hills.

Based on the salvage auction pics it will certainly be back at a minimum as a track car.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:24 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats Totalled ?? must be major damage on frame..

What is it 70% of Value to fix that makes it a total loss? Or has that changed.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:31 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Amazing to me how these cars bounce all around the country while assuming everyone that touched it made a nickel or two. According to the carfax Riley sold or traded it to Smart dealer in Fl. They traded it to Porsche in Cincinnati and that Porsche dealership sells it to someone in Beverly Hills.

Based on the salvage auction pics it will certainly be back at a minimum as a track car.
actually, i was trading it in on a white on red interior smart fortwo... with 55k back my way, put it back to stock, all papers drafted up.. went to sign and they changed the 55k to 50k and didn't say anything at all.. i noticed and obviously backed out... adding 5k to a car that costs 10k. LOL.

then i sold it privately to the guy in cali that wrecked it and had my dealer in ohio broker the sale to save the sales tax on my 2011 cayenne i ordered.

complicated i know..

Originally Posted by pewter82
Thats Totalled ?? must be major damage on frame..

What is it 70% of Value to fix that makes it a total loss? Or has that changed.
Cali says 75% or more,

Last edited by rijowysock; 04-27-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 05:38 PM
mklaskin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how did the Smart dealer explain the $5000 discrepancy?
Old 04-27-2011, 06:09 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mklaskin
So how did the Smart dealer explain the $5000 discrepancy?
at first they said it was the agreed number, then i brought out the paperwork from the day before showing the breakdown and etc we had discussed and agreed on.. then they said that "the buyer they had backed out and they were going off manheim numbers now... i then asked them to bring up the manheim numbers (i ran them prior) which were 71-73k, 6-8k more than they were first offering, 11-13k more than their current offer.. they just said "well thats the deal" and it went south from there..

it's funny because i actually drove the smart home the night before and was all ready to do the swap and they would have made money on both deals, but they were greedy like most all dealers and wanted their cake and to eat it too.. turn down 6k profit cause they want 11k.

the guy that bought my car for 63,750 dropped 2k at a local dealer for random repairs and service he felt it needed (he based off when the 09's came out versus when mine was built/sold)... and then paid 1500 to ship... jeeez, just added up fast.. i was happy tho..
Old 04-27-2011, 06:51 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how does an estimate 23 k repair become a salvage? sumtins not right there
Old 04-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the updates Riley.

IMHO having the Ohio dealer broker the deal to save tax $ was brilliant. A buddy of mine did the exact same thing on the private sale of his 993 and the purchase of a X5. The BMW dealership only charged him a very small transaction fee that resulted in a $4K tax savings for him.

This example shows you how inaccurate carfax is. The Smart stealership never took possession but shows up?????
Old 04-27-2011, 10:28 PM
keynes
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default arrr

Not so sad, this car will be back for sale in 2weeks minimum. there may not be any carfax issues either. and if ther is, there won't be much of a discount.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:59 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by peterm
how does an estimate 23 k repair become a salvage? sumtins not right there
i assume the "needed repairs" are not fully disclosed by the seller.

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
Thanks for the updates Riley.

IMHO having the Ohio dealer broker the deal to save tax $ was brilliant. A buddy of mine did the exact same thing on the private sale of his 993 and the purchase of a X5. The BMW dealership only charged him a very small transaction fee that resulted in a $4K tax savings for him.

This example shows you how inaccurate carfax is. The Smart stealership never took possession but shows up?????
makes it easy, dealer charged $500 to broker the sale... and i saved around 4000 in sales tax. they dont even need the car, just the vin to write paperwork and the check from the seller (helps the seller as well as his check goes to a dealer who will do all the paperwork perfectly, rather than sending a check to a random guy..)

its a win/win for buyer (safer transaction) and seller (save sales tax) no reason for anyone to do otherwise.

Quick Reply: Sad Day, R.I.P. 997.2