IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode) - Page 60 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page > IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode)
Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by: Spec Clutch
View Poll Results: did YOUR car suffer an IMS failure
yes, the IMS failed
6.46%
No issues with IMS
93.54%
Voters: 1177. You may not vote on this poll

IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode)

Old 01-08-2018, 09:52 AM
Petza914
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alvinl View Post
sorry. forget to mention. it's a 05 c2s, m97 engine tiptronic
LN's The IMS Solution is the best bearing with a lifetime service interval. It's the only one that eliminates all ***** or rollers from the bearing and uses an oil film bearing like the older Mezger designed air cooled engines.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:24 PM
Garker
Addict
Rennlist Member

I recently joined the Forum after purchasing a 2005 Carrera S produced in October 2004. Given the early production date for my 2005 model I figured that I had the small single row IMS bearing (2401) that everyone seems to fear. My car is totally original and has only 7,300 miles. My plan from the beginning was to go ahead and replace the bearing with the LN Engineering IMS Solution. Today we pulled the transmission and clutch to determine with certainty that I did in fact have the 2401 bearing. Sure enough, as the photo shows, there she sat. While I was there I figured I might go ahead and replace the RMS but I decided against it. The original is absolutely bone dry. Photos below of the bearing flange and RMS. Oops,sorry for the size of the images. I will stay upon how to reduce the size!

Last edited by Garker; 01-10-2018 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Large photos!
Old 01-10-2018, 06:58 PM
Petza914
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garker View Post
I recently joined the Forum after purchasing a 2005 Carrera S produced in October 2004. Given the early production date for my 2005 model I figured that I had the small single row IMS bearing (2401) that everyone seems to fear. My car is totally original and has only 7,300 miles. My plan from the beginning was to go ahead and replace the bearing with the LN Engineering IMS Solution. Today we pulled the transmission and clutch to determine with certainty that I did in fact have the 2401 bearing. Sure enough, as the photo shows, there she sat. While I was there I figured I might go ahead and replace the RMS but I decided against it. The original is absolutely bone dry. Photos below of the bearing flange and RMS. Oops,sorry for the size of the images. I will stay upon how to reduce the size!
....so you pulled the trans to replace the bearing and decided not to change the bearing or the RMS?
Old 01-10-2018, 08:58 PM
mdterranella
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914 View Post
....so you pulled the trans to replace the bearing and decided not to change the bearing or the RMS?
my thoughts as well. I was told it’s a $30 seal and free labor (basically) while updating the IMS. I used to sell Porsche in 2005. Once got a call the day after a Boxster sale. Car had been on our lot for nearly a year. Client was very upset that his garage floor was covered in oil overnight. RMS failed. I’ve heard it was not uncommon for cars that are stationary for long periods. Anyway, left a huge impression on me (with all the yelling at me and whatnot).

Have them replace it now if the car has not been reassembled.

Last edited by mdterranella; 01-10-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Miss worded
Old 01-11-2018, 01:22 AM
Garker
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I am going to replace the bearing with the LN Engineering IMS Solution - with the plain bearing and oil feed. I decided against the RMS since things looked so good. Do posters think I should replace it anyway because of age?
Lin
Old 01-11-2018, 01:42 AM
Petza914
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Garker View Post
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. I am going to replace the bearing with the LN Engineering IMS Solution - with the plain bearing and oil feed. I decided against the RMS since things looked so good. Do posters think I should replace it anyway because of age?
Lin
I would, the car is 13 years old with hardly any miles, which means things haven't been run and lubricated to stay pliable. The RMS was also redesigned at some point to have multiple sealing ribs instead of one primary one. I'm afraid that it won't be long before you're back in there to do the RMS if you leave it alone now. Also, although the car only has 7,000 miles on it, I'd change the water pump and serpentine belt anyway. The belt will be old and brittle and the waterpump bearing has been sitting in coolant for as old as the car is, even if it hasn't been run. Add a brake fluid flush and you should be in great shape to enjoy the car without problems. It will cost a little bit more now, but will be well worth it for piece of mind. Hoping you're planning to drive it a lot more than the last guy - nice of him to save it for you though !
Old 01-11-2018, 09:47 AM
Garker
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, Pete. I will look pursue your suggestions.
Lin