Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spilled coffe=$4,000 repair? in '06 911 S

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:14 AM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These cup holders are only good for carrying unopen bottles or cans, and personally i never put any styroform cup coffee in these cup holder. All it take is a small bump in the road and it would spill every where.

John
Old 04-17-2011, 02:09 AM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$80,000 car and you don't have no damn cup holders?
http://youtu.be/q0FrZMeV4Wo
Old 04-17-2011, 08:32 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw

Let's face it, folks. "Cup holder" and "sports car" do not fit in the same sentence, let alone the same driving experience.

Gary
When I drive to the track to use my "sports car", the "cup holders" are very much appreciated. Bravo to Porsche for putting in nicely concealed, functional cupholders in the 997.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:46 AM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by rcg412
When I drive to the track to use my "sports car", the "cup holders" are very much appreciated. Bravo to Porsche for putting in nicely concealed, functional cupholders in the 997.
+1. I need my coffee and I need my Porsche.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:42 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sealed coffee travel mug or bottle of water - especially the water on long trips. For me, the cup-holders are handy and work well - no open containers though - that's just asking for trouble - in any car.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:20 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljosef
The service advisor called me to tell me I needed a new "unit" (around $4,000) and it was not covered by warranty. The explanation is that there was some minute coffee staining on the facing that indicated the "possibility" of liquid spillage being the cause and that is not covered by warranty.
So the lesson is, make sure you clean your car, or the region around the flakey part, before bringing it in.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:30 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 822 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by pauljosef
Still under warranty, I took it to Porsche. The service advisor called me to tell me I needed a new "unit" (around $4,000) and it was not covered by warranty. The explanation is that there was some minute coffee staining on the facing that indicated the "possibility" of liquid spillage being the cause and that is not covered by warranty. ?
don't drink (coffee) and drive.
did you or did you not spill coffee on the unit?
if not, then you are right to be concerned.
if yes, then see line #1.
have you been the only owner / driver?

cheers

Craig
Old 04-23-2011, 09:23 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I agree with Gary completely. I've never used the cupholder in any Porsche I've ever owned that had one, and can't imagine what kind of desperate situation I'd have to be in to do so.
+1 Once you bring a beverage into the car, you introduce the possibility of accidental spillage. And the distraction that drinking causes, as well as the even more dangerous distraction that would occur if a spill occurred while driving. Oh, and don't forget damages/stains caused by the actual spills.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:28 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://boingboing.net/2010/03/15/coffee-inhaler.html

No fuss, No muss.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:07 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
So the lesson is, make sure you clean your car, or the region around the flakey part, before bringing it in.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:05 PM
awai08
Advanced

Nicely concealed, though functional I'm not so sure. As the other posts suggest, open beverages (even latte tops) are prone to splashing. The springboard flexiness of the cupholder and high positioning of the cup (relative to the car's center of rotation side-to-side) amplifies road imperfections and the taut suspension. Also, the cupholder itself is rather shallow; I wouldn't be surprised if a drink could slip out entirely if the road were rocky enough. The fact that this flawed design is implicated in a potential four thousand dollar repair absolutely boggles my mind.

In comparison, drinks in my VW GTI sit in front of the armrest and in the center console. The positioning places the drink much closer to the axles, so that drinks aren't shaken side-to-side as much when the car travels over uneven surfaces. I never have any issues with my coffee in this car that has taut suspension (though less taut than in a Porsche) and 18" wheels.

Originally Posted by rcg412
Old 05-13-2011, 02:33 AM
pauljosef
Intermediate

Thanks for all of this info. I suppose MY error was to consider a 911 as a daily driver because I have to have a cup of coffee in the morning and always get up and go. I think there should be a clear warning from Porsche as to how great is the risk for damage...if I had been told, I would have originally put a piece of red tape over them (behind the panel, as a reminder). By the way, it finally went out for good so I am driving without radio or navigation and frankly, if they don't fix it, my next car is a BMW, not the Panamera Hybrid that my wife wanted. They've lost a good customer because I was an "instant Porsche nut". Bought all of the paraphernalia, etc. I have heard Ferrari is worse. Besides, I'm German.
Old 05-13-2011, 10:14 AM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Porsche uses the exact same radio and console, unmodified, in the cabriolet. If it can't get a little wet, that's a serious design flaw. I really doubt that's the cause of your issues regardless.

+1 for cupholders. Call me shallow, but it's little things like that that really make or break a car for me. I don't use them on the track, but the other 99% of the time I'm in my car, it's... a car. And sometimes I'm just thirsty.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:01 AM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody eats or drinks anything in my car. Problem solved.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:44 AM
cpbmd
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 102 Posts
Default +1

Originally Posted by _Nathan
Nobody eats or drinks anything in my car. Problem solved.
My children object to that but those are the rules.

Quick Reply: spilled coffe=$4,000 repair? in '06 911 S