Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've Accepted the Fact, That Scratches are Unavoidable...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 04:05 PM
vinnysca
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ecostellodo
...or my male pattern hair loss. Hair loss has been going on for some time, I am just now beginning to accept it :-)
LOL. Don't consider it a "loss"... but "Facial Gain" LOL. Kidding, buddy!

Vinny
Old 04-13-2011, 04:08 PM
vinnysca
Instructor

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
LOL I did the same thing. There I was washing the car with my fluffy towels that I keep perfectly grit free and cycle through 6 different towels as I wash so that I don't drag anything across the paint, and I grab my washer wand to rinse off the car and swing the head of the wand straight into the door. *scrunch* big scratch. Oh well.

Post Pics! I love green Porsches.
I will post pics of all the MODS I've done so far in a few minutes....

Vinny
Old 04-13-2011, 04:11 PM
vinnysca
Instructor

Originally Posted by Spiffyjiff
[sniffle sniffle] i used to be like you [sniffle]...til i tracked it. now i've lost all desire for the "princess beauty queen" and am incredibly attracted to the "hot and wild chick with all the tattoos".
...and the scuff marks on her knees? LOL
Old 04-13-2011, 05:24 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 49 Posts

At least the thinning hair on my head is offset by the increase in ear, nose and back hair!

Its just a car... Stuff happens.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:31 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I need to stop looking over the car with a handheld light to see every little scratch. A black car will drive you insane.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnysca
I've accepted the fact, that things happen. It's just a car. No big deal. I guess I'm just venting. :-)
Vinny
And you now feel better. I went through the same thing. Changing the wheels out, the handle of the torque wrench brushed the back fender and put a small 2" scratch on it.

At first I felt awful, then I got the touch-up out, applied with a bamboo skewer, blended smooth with a plastic card. And felt so much better because now that first ding was in it. Ahhhhh....
Old 04-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not there yet. Mine is an '05. It does not have any scratches. It is a DD also. However, there are the chips on the front bumper which I spend sleepless nights worring about.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:38 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default great drive, then Hail!

First post. Sold my beloved Superformance 427 Cobra Replica, in which had over 140K miles, and thousands of track miles, for a perfect '07S, well optioned, low miles, with nary a tiny rock chip on the car. Bought it out of Atlanta. Last weekend, drove the back roads for an hour and a half from Charlotte to Columbia with one of my daughters, who tracks her turbo Mini.

What a wonderful drive, sunny, windows down, top open, winding roads along a national forrest, no traffic, no homes, just curves and hills and forests. It can't get any better; just what this car is made for. Spent the evening in Columbia with my son, who drives a 996 "roadster", as the Brits would say.

After dark, headed home on the Interstate, avoiding the deer chances on the back road, and nearing Charlotte, we were surrounded by awsome lightening, and in heavy rain.

Then, we were hit by a hail storm!! I had a turbo Eclipse hit hard two decades ago in Kansas, and know you just can't really fix hail. We were hammered as the road quickly covered in ice marbles, but in about 30 seconds, i saw a underpass ahead, rare along this stretch of I77, and it was fast filling with other cars. I pulled under it, no room on the shoulders, turned on my hazards, as other cars also squeezed in. For those following, who had no room, all I could think was how bad it must be for them.

Hail doesn't last long. Watched it cover the road just in front of me, then turn again to rain, so quickly picked up speed, hoping to avoid another such storm, and ran fast the next half hour home.

I just couldn't believe my bad fortune, finally getting such a fine perfect car, then being caught in hail. Even thought that if my new 997 was badly dented, maybe it was a sign to sell it, and just resign myself to beaters.

Pulled into the garage, got out, wiped the car down, and inspected it from every angle. Only one tiny dent in the sunroof, which will be an easy fix.

I felt so relieved. In the days since, i have met and seen other friends fine cars and trucks, with terrible damage. All i can do is be thankful or my own good fortune.

Since i started driving a '59 Anglia in about 1963, i have taken excellent car of my car's mechanics and cosmetics. But somethings happen, the worst being when my Huffaker prepped TR8 burned in my garage long ago, from a fuel leak ignited by the pilot light of the hot water heater in the garage. What a terrible sight, to see a tow truck hook a chain to my formerly perfect little V8 roadster, and drag its incinerated remains out onto the driveway.

But when your wife and daughter have survived cancer, it does put things into pespective.

All the best....
Old 04-15-2011, 10:54 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CBejbl
It's a healthy threshold to cross. Once you stop obsessing about every little nick or scratch, you enjoy the car even more.
So does that mean that I should take a hammer to the hood of my car so that I can enjoy it more?
Old 04-16-2011, 02:34 AM
wisky
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by _Nathan
So does that mean that I should take a hammer to the hood of my car so that I can enjoy it more?
Yes.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:53 AM
hpowders
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a 2007 CPO 997 last month out of state, and had major service done at a local Porsche dealer last week. In the strong sunlight over there, I noticed 2 long scratches-one on each door. Since it was near closing, the SA told me he would buff out the scratches for free, when I brought the car in next time, which I thought was a nice gesture.

Giving me a 2010 black Cayman S with PDK as a service loaner was great too.

I know scratches are inevitable. I see some Porsches parked close to the stores. I couldn't be that relaxed. I park mine as far away as possible. The scratches weren't "mine". The car came that way.
Old 04-16-2011, 10:04 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Car ownership corollary: The longer you own the car, the less dirty or perfect it appears to have to be.
So true. At this time in my life with my second 911, I just call those rock chips "war wounds". I know there's one way I can stop them and that is by locking the car in the garage, putting the car cover on and never driving the car again. NOT!!!!

Just drive it.

Jay

Quick Reply: I've Accepted the Fact, That Scratches are Unavoidable...