Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Filling Up - Automatic Pump Shut-Off?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its not a Porsche unique issue. Its the stupid vapor recovery nozzle design mandated by the US Govt for US gas pumps. It causes problems with several car makes. My 2002 VW New Beetle shuts the pump down early just like the 2009 Targa.

There are tricks to monkey with the position of the nozzel by having it not be in the natural position.
Its too much of a pain in the butt for me to monkey around with the positioning at the pumps depending on the station. I have a basic solution that I've used that seems to work well and has me pulling away with a real full tank.

The key is to ignore that whole "don't top off" writing on on the pump.

I push the nozzel in nice and far, then set it to fill. Once it auto-cuts off, I grab the nozzel/handle and, while leaving the nozzel seated down in where it has been, squeeze the lever again, to get the gas flowing. When it cuts off again, I repeat the process. I repeat the cut-off, restart with a new squeeze sequence until I get multiple "immediate cut-offs" that signal to me the tank really is full.

It may require re-squeezing the handle 5-8 times at the end of a fill-up, but it seems to work constantly. Its just easier than fiddling around with the nozzle not seated the correct way around.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:21 PM
RC993TT
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Does the Dealer charge for it? If so, how much does it cost?

I typically turn the nozzle 90 degrees and back off the flow a little as it gets closer to full, and it seems to work fine.
No there was no charge for it. Probably $.10 worth of plastic.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 532 Likes on 166 Posts

Filled up this AM. Turned the nozzle clockwise about "15 minutes" from the bottom, and the tank filled completely before the auto shut-off clicked. Problem solved!
Thanks to all for the great advice...I truly appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Filling Up - Automatic Pump Shut-Off?