Sponsored by:

GT2 RS at my dealer

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM
SwordVan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Don't begrudge the buyers of these cars! After all, there are people out there saying similar things about you and I and our cars!
Exactly, this goes on with every category and price level of cars. It's always funny to see the high end be jealous of someone else. Even as a younger guy looking lovingly/enviously at air cooled rare Porsches, some guy is doing the same thing to my M3 or STI.

Humans always want what they can't have.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Dr_KarlB
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cfjan
Since the car has no back seats anyway, there's nothing wrong w/ adding the 1/2 cage even if one does not track.. that's just extra safety there.. !! (I guess what I meant to say is, it is not like he has the compromise something (the rear seats, in this case) even though he does not have to, just for the look..)
Isnt a roll cage without a helmet and harness actually less safe ??

Plenty more to smack you head on inside the car now.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:27 PM
SwordVan
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB

Very much so, and its 10x worse when its a shoddy or fake cage.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:12 PM
The Credit Man
Intermediate

Originally Posted by islandtrader
I still think the guys is a poser, what is the point? You buy a quarter million dollar car to basically look at and pretend you do something with it that you don't. These cars are meant to be driven!
He doesn't have to "make a point" to you, or anyone else. You buy a quarter million dollar car for yourself. You buy it for any reason you damn well please, or no reason at all.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:54 AM
jsmirand
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lol, to continue the analogy of Porsche owners critiquing top of the line Porsche owners: Like the business class passenger looking at the few in first class 7 foot beds with disdain. Of course, in first class, they are looking out the window at the un marked Gulfstream jet with contempt. A biz prof once asked the class, why are large corporate private jets unmarked? The initial students' answer was security. He asserted that is not true, the real reason is (choose a company, IBM, Kelloggs, Ford, etc) stock holders would be pissed off sitting on their delayed commercial first class seat as a beautiful private jet with the company's logo smoothly taxied on by.

To me, I hope the buyer enjoys his new car with health, and if all that means is looking at it in the garage, so be it! (as long as its taken care of....)
Old 03-24-2011, 10:55 AM
mthaynes
4th Gear

LOL I cant believe this thread is 3 pages long.

I am the owner of the GT2RS Hi.

The roll bar is a GMG RSR bar. I was hit from behind in september 2010 while at a stop in my 07 997tt. the 95 suburban hit me going 40mph. I was extremely fortunate. I wanted the new car to have a bit more protection. Maybe its me being paranoid, but paranoia has served me well in my military business, so I am rolling with it.

GMG recommended the yellow color based on the cars colors. They were right and I am glad I took their advice. Before you accuse GMG of up selling the bar buy doing it in yellow. They did not charge for the yellow. If you dont like it sorry. I dont like modern art - to each his own.

I do not have any track experience so I am not sure this is the right car to play with. I had dinner with Andreas P from Porsche a few weeks ago. He reminded me that I have a limited run production car. If I break it I can not replace it. The kind of put it in perspective. If I decide to play on a track, it will be in something cheaper, that I can afford to replace if I break

Bottom line folks I bought the car for me and not you. Sorry if that offends
Old 03-24-2011, 11:00 AM
swajames
Racer

Welcome mthaynes - you have a fabulous car.

Enjoy!
Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 PM
pewter82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree 100% Mthaynes !!

Your a Lucky Man !

Enjoy.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:43 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

It is only a 1/2 cage.. everything is behind your seats.. you can safely run it without helmet and harness.. when you have the front cage (full cage), then the concerns for no helmet during street driving is realistic.

Originally Posted by Dr_KarlB

Old 03-24-2011, 01:46 PM
cfjan
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 9 Posts

It looks like a pretty well made roll bar to me.. the rear hoop looks like to be tied to the rear shock towers.

Originally Posted by SwordVan
Very much so, and its 10x worse when its a shoddy or fake cage.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:33 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by The Credit Man
He doesn't have to "make a point" to you, or anyone else. You buy a quarter million dollar car for yourself. You buy it for any reason you damn well please, or no reason at all.
whoa, creditman, that's quite the stable you have there, very tasteful!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:35 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mthaynes

The roll bar is a GMG RSR bar. I was hit from behind in september 2010 while at a stop in my 07 997tt. the 95 suburban hit me going 40mph. I was extremely fortunate. I wanted the new car to have a bit more protection. Maybe its me being paranoid, but paranoia has served me well in my military business, so I am rolling with it.

GMG recommended the yellow color based on the cars colors. They were right and I am glad I took their advice. Before you accuse GMG of up selling the bar buy doing it in yellow. They did not charge for the yellow. If you dont like it sorry. I dont like modern art - to each his own.

I do not have any track experience so I am not sure this is the right car to play with. I had dinner with Andreas P from Porsche a few weeks ago. He reminded me that I have a limited run production car. If I break it I can not replace it. The kind of put it in perspective. If I decide to play on a track, it will be in something cheaper, that I can afford to replace if I break

well said - no offense here. great and beautiful car WITH cage!
Old 03-24-2011, 02:54 PM
The Credit Man
Intermediate

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
whoa, creditman, that's quite the stable you have there, very tasteful!
Thanks man! LOVE your 911! The blue, the graphics, black wheels is really quite something.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:57 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by The Credit Man
Thanks man! LOVE your 911! The blue, the graphics, black wheels is really quite something.
thanks for the kind words! you're welcome to drive it you find yourself in the SF/bay area!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:51 PM
gstahl
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mthaynes

Beautiful car, agree with your sentiments.

Quick Reply: GT2 RS at my dealer