Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Wouldn't Start Today

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:43 AM
Georges Rebeiz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the wiring harness issue prevents the battery from charging? or it prevents it from crancking? Had the same issue today.. Battery is less than 2 years old and it started chewing on cranking around a month ago until it wasent able to crank the engine to a start yesterday... Any advise apart from changing the battery? So if it is a wiring harness issue the battery should be OK just needs charging I suppose?

Last edited by Georges Rebeiz; 04-21-2011 at 12:47 AM. Reason: added a few thoughts
Old 04-21-2011, 07:01 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have your shop test 4 things to cover the most common bases: 1:Charging system 2:battery 3:alternator cable and 4:wiring harness to starter. My independent shop has the capability to do all of this, but if there is a question, maybe your dealer is the place to go.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts
Default Wiring harness...

Early on my ownership my C2S battery kept going dead, requiring CAA / AAA to come and jump it. Advice from a non-certified shop swapped the battery to no avail. The dealership replaced the wiring harness under warranty and its been fine ever since. Good lesson to go to the dealership when under warranty.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:54 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone have a reference for the TSB? Just checked on renntech.org and could not find it. I have had some dead or low battery issues and also a defective battery twice (dead celll). Had the car fully checked out recently, with no issues found, and a new battery installed.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:18 PM
997sxv
Intermediate

If the vehicle is out of warranty can you still get work done for a tsb? My 05 997 suffers again from slow cranking even after a full battery charge and left on a maintainer when not driven. The fix last year was tightened alternator connections following alternator diagnosis and $$$$ trying to fix the problem including a new battery. Since this is a known issue it seems the car should receive the fix at no charge or at least for labor only. Any thoughts?
Old 10-06-2011, 07:59 PM
cviles
Unique Title
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 997sxv
If the vehicle is out of warranty can you still get work done for a tsb? My 05 997 suffers again from slow cranking even after a full battery charge and left on a maintainer when not driven. The fix last year was tightened alternator connections following alternator diagnosis and $$$$ trying to fix the problem including a new battery. Since this is a known issue it seems the car should receive the fix at no charge or at least for labor only. Any thoughts?
You can always ask -- it can't hurt. Porsche just covered a wiring harness replacement on my '07 C2S as a goodwill gesture. The determining factors seem to be 1) how many Porsches have you owned, 2) how many do you currently own, and 3) did you buy them new? I appear to have the right answers to these questions.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:02 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

my car is an '08.

it has 5995 miles as of today.

it has the original battery

no trickle charger, or any of that stuff
Old 10-07-2011, 10:24 AM
PCC
Instructor

Originally Posted by jfk308
Did the "depress clutch" signal come on? If so, it could simply be a failure of that switch. It happened to me a few months ago. About a $ 100 fix at the dealer.
No - engine doesn't crank with this problem. I've had two clutch switches replaced. 6k miles on the car. Pathetic (and no loaner car)
Old 11-18-2020, 10:09 AM
AirxCru
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can anyone recommend an easy idiot proof multimeter to assist this? I have access to lowes/ace/ and the generic auto stores.

thanks!
Old 12-05-2021, 04:51 PM
tichondreous
1st Gear

Originally Posted by AirxCru
Can anyone recommend an easy idiot proof multimeter to assist this? I have access to lowes/ace/ and the generic auto stores.

thanks!
while I agree with everyone’s input into their situation there is one thing that has been left out. Yes a alternator powers everything for your car and yes a bad battery while cause all kinds of problems. The reason is for the alternator itself. Take an alternator out of the car and try to power anything by spinning it by any means without a battery. You will never get the Voltage you want of the consistency you need because of the rectifier. The rectifier draws power from the battery and with that power makes magnetic resistance within the magnets of the alternator. Turn it by had with out and it will free spin with good barrens, put current through it and by hand badly get one spin.

This is why you will notice when wiring a alternator there isn’t just hook ups for the power out, there is also a power in.

This in no way really helps the original poster’s question other then yes a bad battery will cause those issues and more. I am just trying to add the missing puzzle piece to the exchange.

Quick Reply: Car Wouldn't Start Today