Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1S vs 997.2S Can you Feel The Difference?

Old 03-13-2017, 06:01 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Biggest factors in "real world" (track hopefully) when the outright performance numbers are pretty close overall are: 1) driver skill 2) how much confidence the car's dynamics inspire.

A car that gives its driver loads of confidence to maximize the application of their skills (whatever level that may be) is going to support better performance.

I test drove 4S (.1 and .2) nearly back to back. I could feel a difference in the suspension setup (.2 was better in every case) and hear a difference in sound (.1 was better in every case). Engine characteristics were different too but overall I couldn't say I felt lacking for power due to missing the 30HP since the sound of the exhaust made up for it.

Funny thing is that after I did the center muffler bypass and side mufflers the perception of speed was definitely improved (felt faster than the .1s or .2s) but I have no doubt it is 99% the experience overall and maybe 1% based on reality, which I am sure I could not possibly perceive.

In summary, both cars are great
Old 03-14-2017, 01:56 AM
Kipp
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Hard to believe this thread originated in 2011... But it's still relevant.

Since my first reply about 997.1 v 997.2 I sold my 997.2 and bought a low-mile 993 C2S. What I wanted was a "new" 993 that had a more visceral spirit than even the 997.1 C2S did. Many suggest that the 2005 997 was the evolution of the 993 - a sort of leap-frog over the 996. I found that to be true, that the 2nd generation water cooled had worked through some of the aesthetic experimentation of the 996. What I enjoy about the 993 is that you are even more connected to the machine and road than in the 997.1. Very little "electronic" yet still enough comfort for even mundane trips. Pollen filter and AC that works well makes a difference over earlier air cooled Porsches.

Today I still have "Red" and have also finally gotten myself into motorcycling. It started when I turned 50 and I restored a 1981 R65 over the winter. A season with that bike on local roads lead me to buy a pristine 1999 R1100R Special Edition (black tank with white pin stripes, spoke wheels, heated grips, and ABS). A season with that lead me to a mint 2004 R1150RT for light touring.

When I was younger and evolving from student to instructor at the track, I chased maximum performance of engine, suspension, and brakes. Once I retired from the track my goals shifted to maximum enjoyment. The 993 and the BMW "Oilheads" really capture that spirit.
Brilliant! The oil heads bmw boxers are motorcycling bliss. Exceptional ergonomics and a very mechanical experience. So basic, yet so sophisticated. Reliability is unparalleled. I had an r1100rs... Which was right between the r1100r and the r1150rt. I toured the alps with a passenger on the 2004 r1150rt. Simply amazing touring bike. I do like wheelies though... So the KTM adventure 1190r satisfies. I just might give it up for a 911.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.1S vs 997.2S Can you Feel The Difference?