Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Using the Sport Chrono/Sport display function.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:40 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The second push doesn't need to be rapid, you have a few seconds to confirm that you intended to start a new lap. It appears to use the first push as the timing point.
Old 03-17-2011, 10:27 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 74 Posts

Indeed, however if you want the timing to be as accurate as possible you'd want to start the next lap instantly, thus the rapid double push.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:55 AM
zanwar
Pro

The second push is just a confirmation, like hitting an ok button. The first push is when the new lap time is started. There's no concept of stopping and starting a lap, you're just supplying the computer with a single timestamp that corresponds to the start/finish line.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:47 AM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Not in my experience, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

On my way to work this morning I tried the exact sequence I mentioned above except only pushing the stalk forward once each time to do the intervals and not a second push to start a 'new lap.'

When I was done I viewed the evaluation screen and it only had one long lap listed and no interval times. It would appear the second push 'starting a new lap' is key to recording separate time intervals or 'laps.' Unless you start a new lap each time it will only display one long length of time (lap) and you are unable to view your intervals.

A double rapid push seems to work perfectly. I'll try to post a pic later.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 AM
FrankyV
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
Not in my experience, and please correct me if I'm wrong.

On my way to work this morning I tried the exact sequence I mentioned above except only pushing the stalk forward once each time to do the intervals and not a second push to start a 'new lap.'

When I was done I viewed the evaluation screen and it only had one long lap listed and no interval times. It would appear the second push 'starting a new lap' is key to recording separate time intervals or 'laps.' Unless you start a new lap each time it will only display one long length of time (lap) and you are unable to view your intervals.

A double rapid push seems to work perfectly. I'll try to post a pic later.
You are correct- until you push the second time on "New Lap" the timer does not restart.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM
AWay
Rennlist Member

Default SUCCESS!

Worked extremely well I thought!

Using the method I outlined in post #30 I successfully made use of the chrono function during a HPDE this weekend. It's up to you though to accurately trigger the interval/new lap each time by the line. But even if it's 1-2/10ths off it's close enough to see the differences between laps. (of course getting multiple clean laps proves sometimes difficult in a HPDE, but that's to be expected I guess.)

Anywho, just thought I'd chime back in and say it worked. Provided you're capable of triggering it each lap, I think it's definitely useful.

Have fun!
Old 07-04-2017, 02:46 PM
SDCLTD
Intermediate

Question: How do you download the data after you have used the recorded Lap Times using the Sport Chrono? Anybody know?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:19 AM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 137 Posts

AWay thanks for the information, General question to the group just picked up 2009 997 TT, The "Chrono" is not an option on the multi function display I see it on the PCM and the sports mode is engaged.
The picture below is from a 997.2 Manual Mine is in the car and similar.
I see limit,Info,Oil,TPM and Set No Chrono what gives?
Only had the car a few days.

Old 08-31-2018, 11:54 AM
jfort
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AWay
Okay so I think I got it pretty well figured out, and it's actually not too difficult!

-Go to the sport display screen and select 'start' trip'. This will be begin recording your trip as soon as you start the chrono.
-Start the chrono when you cross 'the line' which begins recording your first reference lap.
-Move the stalk as to highlight 'interval' but don't push it forward until you're crossing start/finish line.
-Push forward twice on the stalk rapidly. Which records your interval time (lap time) and also begins another lap.
-Once settled back in the pits (or your garage) select 'evaluation' from the sport display screen and there are all your lap times. Which I believe you can save the data as well.

I only played around with it out on a short drive and wrote the above from memory, but it seemed easy enough. Yes, if using it on a track you'll have to rapidly push the stalk forward twice each lap, but honestly it doesn't seem that bad to me. No, it won't be to the tenth accurate since you're responsible for stopping each lap and not a computer, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

I'm going to try it out this weekend properly and will let you know how it goes.
Thanks for doing this. After two years of looking at it, I may actually try it now. (Although I have Harry's) Not one of Porsche's better ideas and implementation.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:39 PM
911EK
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jayi836
AWay thanks for the information, General question to the group just picked up 2009 997 TT, The "Chrono" is not an option on the multi function display I see it on the PCM and the sports mode is engaged.
The picture below is from a 997.2 Manual Mine is in the car and similar.
I see limit,Info,Oil,TPM and Set No Chrono what gives?
Only had the car a few days.

Still trying to figure this out. I have a recently purchased 2011 997.2 Turbo S. As I dobber thru the menu I don't get a few options. Like the Chrono, Audio, TPM and Nav. Do get 5 or 6 of them. Limit, INFO, Oil, Set...... Appreciate any info. TIA
Old 11-26-2018, 03:49 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Looks like a trip to the dealer is in order to get this to function, I have tried with the Durametric and doesn't seem to make a difference.
haven't spent a lot of time on it since I got the car in late August.

Has something to do with delivery mode (new car handover mode) my car has a history of key reprograms perhaps this has been going on for a while (CarFax report). This makes no sense as the home link and seat heaters work fine I can manually activate the Chrono with the Durametric.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:53 PM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Update:
Was never able to get the sports chrono to work last year. Durametric Pro failed me or doesn't like this car??
I replaced the PCM 2.1 two weeks ago and like magic the cruise control dash indicator and the chrono started working for the first time since I purchased the car in August.
I have some coding errors that need to be sorted, removed the CD changer XM and Nav DVD units all deleted from gateway, Bose amp working but will upgrade in a few months. saved ~15-20 pounds
Old 05-15-2020, 08:05 PM
PGuy2010
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jayi836 - I just purchased a 09 Cayman S. The Chrono is not displayed as it should be on the directory. I have a '10 997.2 4S SO I know it should be there. How did you replace the PSM 2.1? Is that a dealer or service issue? Since I am still sorting out the car I bet things like cruise and tel. might have issues also. Buyer Beware I guess. The previous owner sent me to this sight. He really didn't know how to find CHRONO either.
Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:49 AM
jayi836
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PGuy2010
Jayi836 - I just purchased a 09 Cayman S. The Chrono is not displayed as it should be on the directory. I have a '10 997.2 4S SO I know it should be there. How did you replace the PSM 2.1? Is that a dealer or service issue? Since I am still sorting out the car I bet things like cruise and tel. might have issues also. Buyer Beware I guess. The previous owner sent me to this sight. He really didn't know how to find CHRONO either.
Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.
Do you see Chrono in the gateway? need Durametric or PIWIS or similar.
I replaced the PCM with an Alpine head unit.

Seems like you need someone with a PIWIS to run a vehicle handover again, that should fix it.
My issue was a faulty PCM perhaps causing some data corruption or malfunction. Didnt have chrono in the MFD as an option.
At the time I had a Durametric and could activate the chrono from the service tool, not the car, so I knew it wasn't and issue with the chrono just communication.
I removed the CD changer, and Nav DVD rom in the Frunk, then bypassed them in the fiber optic circuit

PM if you need help I don't check the forums everyday.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Using the Sport Chrono/Sport display function.